Jump to content

U.K. to spend 2.5% of GDP on defence by 2030, Boris Johnson announces


onthedarkside
 Share

Recommended Posts

Screenshot_5.jpg.914c3a7da237eab0268bd3402c1f10a6.jpg

 

Speaking to Sky News this morning, Liz Truss warned that  NATO members must make it their "absolute priority" to stop the Ukraine war and push Russian troops out of the country - or face a "much less safe Europe"

 

The UK government will spend 2.5% of GDP on defence by 2030, Boris Johnson has announced, as NATO's secretary general warned that the alliance must stand up to Vladimir Putin.

 

Speaking from the NATO conference in Madrid, the prime minister told broadcasters that "we need to invest for the long-term in vital capabilities like future combat air, whilst simultaneously adapting to a more dangerous and more competitive world".

 

"The logical conclusion of the investments on which we propose to embark, these decisions, is that we'll reach 2.5% of GDP on defence by the end of the decade," he continued.

 

The sum equates to a further £55 billion.

 

(more)

 

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-spend-2-5-of-gdp-on-defence-by-2030-boris-johnson-announces-12643124

 

2090734430_SkyNews.jpg.6e3c9260220af93fd227071e7c292897.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicola Sturgeon’s ministers: No more Scottish money should be given to Ukraine for weapons

Kate Forbes, Scotland’s finance secretary, says £65m provided to the Treasury ‘must not be seen as any kind of precedent’

 

Nicola Sturgeon’s ministers have said no more of Scotland’s money should be given to Ukraine for weapons after being pressured by the Treasury to hand over £65 million.

 

Kate Forbes, the Scottish finance secretary, said she had agreed to provide the funding “on this occasion” but made it clear that “this must not be seen as any kind of precedent”.

 

Her comments were echoed by Rebecca Evans, her Welsh counterpart, who said she had been forced to give £30 million earmarked for “devolved areas like health and education”.

 

But the Treasury “strongly disagreed”, saying government departments across Whitehall had also been asked to make a contribution through their underspend.

 

(more)

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/30/nicola-sturgeons-snp-will-no-longer-send-money-ukraine-weapons/

 

1281740288_TheTelegraph.jpg.1e211651c5a851a78b94ed7b430ba165.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The tories have broken their electoral pledge on defence. No reason to believe this pledge will be any different. 
 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/28/no-10-to-ditch-defence-spending-manifesto-pledge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

They did pledge that defence spending be 0.5% above the inflation rate ,

They didnt expect the inflation rate to rise to 10 %

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They did pledge that defence spending be 0.5% above the inflation rate ,

They didnt expect the inflation rate to rise to 10 %

They lied.
 

No reason to trust this pledge or anything that emerges from johnson or his cabinets mouths. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

They lied.
 

End of. 

It is understandable why they couldn't  proceed with the pledge , which was due to an unforeseeable  rise in interest rates 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is understandable why they couldn't  proceed with the pledge , which was due to an unforeseeable  rise in interest rates 

Pledge made. 
 

Pledge broken. 
 

No reason to believe this pledge will be kept either. 
 

It’s just another bus…

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Pledge made. 
 

Pledge broken. 
 

No reason to believe this pledge will be kept either. 
 

It’s just another bus…

Previously he made the mistake of attaching the defence spending to the inflation rate , now that the inflation rate has gone up by an unforecastable amount , hes dropped that pledge and now just given a flat rate pledge of 2.5 %

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Previously he made the mistake of attaching the defence spending to the inflation rate , now that the inflation rate has gone up by an unforecastable amount , hes dropped that pledge and now just given a flat rate pledge of 2.5 %

Pledges from johnson are not worth anything. They will be broken. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Pledges from johnson are not worth anything. They will be broken. 

He did Pledge to get the UK out the E.U. and kept to that pledge 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He did Pledge to get the UK out the E.U. and kept to that pledge 

Ah yes…

 

I remember the bus around that time with a certain spending pledge.

 

That spending promise was broken, as will this spending pledge.
 

johnson lies. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah yes…

 

I remember the bus around that time with a certain spending pledge.

 

That spending promise was broken, as will this spending pledge.
 

johnson lies. 

You misunderstood what was written on the bus 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

that 55bln gbp is per year so total in the next 7 years would be hundreds of bln.

Some taxpayers might take offence to be part in murder.

 

I am afraid that military budget would be growing well above those 2.5%. Might be closer to 1% per year when war approaching.

Germany has already planned 2.5% for the next year, and they are slightly less  blood thirsty than the UK (with is't closest relation with USA and colonial past)

Edited by internationalism
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

no. I know what it was. 
 

It was a deliberate attempt to mislead by deception. 
 

AKA: a lie. 

It was a suggestion .

You misunderstood the suggestion to be a promise 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah yes…

 

I remember the bus around that time with a certain spending pledge.

 

That spending promise was broken, as will this spending pledge.
 

johnson lies. 

yeah yeah yeah we get it. You are a guardian reader. you hate Johnson,  Trump, Brexit

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

that 55bln gbp is per year so total in the next 7 years would be hundreds of bln.

Some taxpayers might take offence to be part in murder.

 

I am afraid that military budget would be growing well above those 2.5%. Might be closer to 1% per year when war approaching.

Germany has already planned 2.5% for the next year, and they are slightly less  blood thirsty than the UK (with is't closest relation with USA and colonial past)

The increase in spending is because of the concerns about Russia 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The increase in spending is because of the concerns about Russia 

or revival of the british empire and colonial appetites somewhere towards ukraine and eastwards.

The UK needs cheap grains, foods, and expansion of their export markets after leaving the eu and european economic area

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was a suggestion .

You misunderstood the suggestion to be a promise 

No. It was a deception and by the by, one I did not believe because it was a johnson faction pledge. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No. It was a deception and by the by, one I did not believe because it was a johnson faction pledge. 

You were deceived because you couldn't understand what it meant 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You were deceived because you couldn't understand what it meant 

Nope. 
 

Now to get back on topic; I just don’t believe this pledge, coming so soon after breaking a previous spending pledge.


Smacks of saying anything to deflect attention from the broken spending pledge…

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, and they ARE funding the NHS

A meaningless statement. EVERY government has funded the NHS since it's inception. 

 

We didn't send the EU £350m/ week. That is factually incorrect.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

A meaningless statement. EVERY government has funded the NHS since it's inception. 

 

We didn't send the EU £350m/ week. That is factually incorrect.

We did send them the money and they gave us some money back in the form of a rebate 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Boris being the good poodle. Must of got his marching orders in person from Joe. Worked as intended with Raytheon shares popping 3.6% after the announcement 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, internationalism said:

or revival of the british empire and colonial appetites somewhere towards ukraine and eastwards.

Doubtful, but they could do worse. In fact they did as part of the old united soviet. 
The British Empire was the best thing to happen to the whole world since the Romans. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

He did Pledge to get the UK out the E.U. and kept to that pledge 

At least Boris did one thing. We were sold a pup as some might say. Nothing has improved. Nothing has changed except for the worst. Did Covid derail this - who knows. I think it was always going to be bad leaving Europe. Real question is would we really have been better staying IN the European Union? 

 

Will Scotland benefit from leaving the Union of the UK?

 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...