Passengers on flights to Thailand SHOULD all wear masks on the plane - it's not fake news

webfact

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From what I have read, the "science" on aircraft and the virus is that there is really little risk of catching Covid during a flight. Yes, the cabin is sealed. However, the air is constantly drawn upward to the ceiling of the cabin, where it goes through a serious filtration process before being recirculated in the cabin. The IATA does not think it is a danger at all. 

So masks on planes seem to be more performative theatre than actual precaution. 

From what I have read,

Which science paper was this, care to share the source?

It seems that the aviation industry are also not aware of this study, maybe it's a secret, or made up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, howlee101 said:

Words have specific meaning.  The post headlines (in all caps) says "SHOULD", the first paragraph says "must", then later on "recommended".  

"...the first paragraph says "must"..."

That is not correct.  The first paragraph does not state that "masks must be worn", it states that "some reports said [wrongly] that masks must be worn".   To quote you, "words have specific meanings", so does the way they are used.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Consider this. An airline operator only has a finite number of cabin crew. If just one passenger, who decides not to wear a mask is Covid +ve, there's a chance that the cabin crew could contract the virus and, at the very least have to go into isolation for a week.

So how long do you suppose it would be before all the cabin crew was infected and the airline grinds to a halt if no passengers wore masks? I know, it's a worse case scenario, but could happen.

The airline have a duty of care to protect their staff, their passengers and their business, so they have every right to insist on mask wearing on their flights.

At last someone who's grasped it and saved me the bother - thanks. 

Despite the filters and cabin airflow, the risk is still real if minimal.

Edited by BusyB
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From what I have read, the "science" on aircraft and the virus is that there is really little risk of catching Covid during a flight. Yes, the cabin is sealed. However, the air is constantly drawn upward to the ceiling of the cabin, where it goes through a serious filtration process before being recirculated in the cabin. The IATA does not think it is a danger at all. 

So masks on planes seem to be more performative theatre than actual precaution. 

So when the person sitting next to me on a flight starts to cough and sneeze (and does not know that they are carrying Covid) it will not have any effect on me and I will not get infected.

Can you provide a link that confirms this please.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

On the return journey, on boarding at Vienna everyone was told to put a mask on as it was a requirement of the Thai authorities that masks were worn throughout the flight.

Before the lifting of the mask mandate a few days ago, I'd guess!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

i will not flight anymore, mask saga, fuel price extra cost, i wiil enjoy an other thing, bye bye airplane.

Long swim ahead for you to get overseas....you must be a strong swimmer.....

14 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Bert Got Kinky says I’m an anti-mask nut job. Well Bert, as an airline pilot with plenty of doctor friends, we all know those cotton masks are as useless as teats on a boar hog. With the filters on our aircraft, your chances of catching something are about as close to zero as one can get. Do your homework.

Proof?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

So when the person sitting next to me on a flight starts to cough and sneeze (and does not know that they are carrying Covid) it will not have any effect on me and I will not get infected.

Can you provide a link that confirms this please.

No one claimed that.

12 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Bert Got Kinky says I’m an anti-mask nut job. Well Bert, as an airline pilot with plenty of doctor friends, we all know those cotton masks are as useless as teats on a boar hog. With the filters on our aircraft, your chances of catching something are about as close to zero as one can get. Do your homework.

Very strange how you and airlines seem to be on a different page. Oh and it seems IATA as well. There's some homework right here on IATA's website

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That assumes that wearing masks prevents the transmission of Covid, which, clearly, is not the case.

Aaaah, so as usual you think that you know than the majority of the world's top renowned scientists in infectious diseases.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Once again, you are posting before thinking, which seems to be a common trait of yours".

That's just your opinion.  I gave a lot of thought to my comment, as I do to all of them and that you deem "not thinking before posting" to be a "common trait" of mine is simply confirmation of your inability to know anything about me or my thought process.

I gave a lot of thought to my comment

Obviously not enough, as usual otherwise you might have understood what was quite a straight-forward post...

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Gladly, I don't wear a mask and when my family and I went to Thailand in the end of last year I only had it to cover my mouth, and breath through my nose. So, I can just as well not wear any mask at all.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic and trolling comments removed
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That assumes that wearing masks prevents the transmission of Covid, which, clearly, is not the case.

Aaaah, so as usual you think that you know than the majority of the world's top renowned scientists in infectious diseases.

Wrong yet again; "think" followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding.

I always wore a mask, until recently, yet I contracted Covid a couple of months ago, as have millions of other mask wearers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Strange, I went back last month with Oman.  On the way there everyone was masked.  On the way back no one was masked, not even the crew, and hardly saw anyone in Muscat wearing one - not even airport staff.  When we landed in Bangkok they made an announcement that everyone needed to put a mask on to exit the plane.

Flew to Singapore a week ago and it is was fully masked on the way out and the way back.

I've done a dozen international flights in and out of LOS this past two months, one as recently as last week, and no airline was enforcing the rule. Emirates (5 times), Singapore, Air France, Qatar.

• Like 1