Major Thai brewer announces increase in beer prices

webfact

3 hours ago, grain said:

I get the large cans at Lotus's. Where we live there's a mini Lotus's nearby and I get them there. I'm pretty certain I've got them out of the 7-11s. Lots of people dump on Bud and say it's p!ss, but I find it a very pleasant clean tasting lager. I should add one of the criteria I use for judging beers is how they go for hangovers, if you happen to have 1 or 2 too many. I usually drink in moderation but if I do give Heineken or Bud or San Mig Light a bit of a wallop then next day hangovers are pretty mild. But Leo/Chang/Sing hangovers are diabolical, for me anyway. ???? 

That's cos you don't drink enough or often enough, I never suffer with a hangover, I can have half a dozen large Leo/Chang/Singha followed by a few large glasses of red wine and never suffer with a hangover. ????

26 minutes ago, Moon6966 said:

Compare alcohol prices in Cambodia and Vietnam... 

A look at alcohol prices in Thailand.. Makes me wonder why increase? 

Cambodia alcohol good alcohol if so cheap 

And beer 50 sent 

But in Thailand it's whole different story 

Not only... I suddenly few months ago discovered that lazada Vietnam started selling western alcohol you can order it 

A but you want good real scotch whiskey and all cheaper then Thailand deliver to you 

They sold beer and cider there before but now also spirits 

Tax...

Beer Consumption by Country 2022 :https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/beer-consumption-by-country...........

• Qatar has the most expensive beer in the world, with an average price of US$11.26 per 33cl (330ml) bottle.
  • The cheapest beer is in South Africa, where the average price is $1.68 per bottle.
  • The Czech Republic has the highest consumption rate, with 468 beers per person per year.
  • Germans spend an average $1,907.78 per year on beer, the top figure in our study.......https://www.expensivity.com/beer-around-the-world/

1-The-Price-of-A-Beer-Map-avg-price.jpg

• Confused 1

Basically, when you stay here long enough you just get used to <deleted> beer (certainly if you've lived here from back in the day when it was pretty much only Thai beer other than Carlsberg/Heineken)... which is what the local stuff is.

I'd rather spend a little extra these days and get a proper imported beer. Even the classic Bud from the Philippines from the local Blue Flag shop is only 62 baht a 500ml can, which is just a couple baht more than what Leo or Singha is... and a far better lager. I even bought a 500ml can of Stella from the local Mall for 75 baht a couple weeks ago. 

Chang, a long time back, was OK... but when they changed it from the dark brown bottle they must have changed the formula too at some point as it now tastes like a chemical grog... won't touch it these days. 

On 7/1/2022 at 2:33 PM, bdenner said:

@KhunLA, now that is the slops in the bottom of the spillage tray!

It's the Issan beer which is liked by many Thais and farang.

I pay 50 baht for a 630 cl bottle.

Beer snobbery alive and well in Thailand I see by some posts here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Now the sky is well and truly falling. How people will get through the day without cheap Leo is anyone's guess. 

Archa is 4.5% by volume, it's also the cheapest that I've found, it's palatable, and goes down well as a late afternoon tipple prior to a few red wines with & after dinner.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Any spirit will be low-carb, whisky, rum, gin, vodka etc. Red wine is a bit higher. Beer is the absolute worst for liquid carbs.

You'll know when you are making progress at the gym by measuring your resting pulse rate. Anything below 60 bpm is good.

That's true, i'll have to try the resting pulse rate. I forgot to mention that I've also been intermittent fasting, + going to the gym 4 -5 days per week, mainly weight lifting and cardio 2X times per week &  already lost nearly 3 KG in in weight. 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

You will have to tell me where, around here they have jumped from around 150 to the 175/180 mark. Rock & Singha keep leap frogging and leading the way.

I’m talking about the larger returnable bottles in plastic crates,not the supermarket ones. 

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

That's true, i'll have to try the resting pulse rate. I forgot to mention that I've also been intermittent fasting, + going to the gym 4 -5 days per week, mainly weight lifting and cardio 2X times per week &  already lost nearly 3 KG in in weight. 

For those who like a bit of alcohol but want to minimise their intake for dietary or other reasons, you should try Katemba; it’s a drink the Portuguese had in Mozambique - red wine and (diet/zero) coke 40/60 in a tall glass with plenty of ice.  Sounds revolting but is actually very nice (rather like Sangria) and a good use for the awful/cheap S African Mont Clair box wine.

• Like 1

Genius timing!  Increase the price of beer right after cannabis is legalized. 

In every county, province or state which re-legalized cannabis, alcohol consumption went down.

I don’t care if 100 alcoholics reply and say “I’m not switching to pot”  beer sales are still going to go down. 

If they want to increase profits, quit ¢@ck-blocking retailers who want to sell Leo Strong and stop restricting sales to big organizations who pay them kickbacks. 

It used to be available everywhere regular Leo was sold but first they cut off mom and pop shops then small distributors who supply bars and restaurants and now not even Makro has it. 

On 7/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, Golden Triangle said:

And I don't care ???? I used to drink Chang but that's looney juice, I can't stand Singha and I drink Leo when out & about so at home I have what I want & that is Archa, each to their own my friend, each to their own ????

Chang used to be loonyjuice  but they have changed it a fair while back , prices were bound to rise with   No tourists and lockdown, be thankful you’re in Thailand as beer has gone up 2 dollars a pint in some Nz bar’s 

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

That's cos you don't drink enough or often enough, I never suffer with a hangover, I can have half a dozen large Leo/Chang/Singha followed by a few large glasses of red wine and never suffer with a hangover. ????

I disagree..... I think it is simply a factor of genes..... I have a couple of pals who do not get hangovers, very envious I am. Just always presumed they had better livers....

23 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I didn't realise that beer drinking is so expensive. My last purchase of any alcohol was before 5th November 1982. If I had continued to drink beer, I wonder if I'd have cancer by now as alcohol is a Grade 1 carcinogen.

The World Health Organization has classified processed meats including ham, bacon, salami and frankfurts as a Group 1 carcinogen...

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I’m talking about the larger returnable bottles in plastic crates,not the supermarket ones. 

Apologies, never seen those, just get the standard 24 bottle packs, which have jumped very significantly in the last 6 months.

I get my Archa from the local wholesalers but the soda water is cheaper from the supermarket than the wholesaler.

Will skint people pisss in those large leo bottles when they are half full and be able to drink it like a full beer?

You have a buzz anyhow and it may not make much of a difference, especially when your laughing, having a good time & enjoying a good cock fight with your buddies.

Taking the pisss...????‍♂️

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Apologies, never seen those, just get the standard 24 bottle packs, which have jumped very significantly in the last 6 months.

I get my Archa from the local wholesalers but the soda water is cheaper from the supermarket than the wholesaler.

Plenty of independent sellers have them Singha- cheaper per bottle and  larger too 400mill . Just have to invest in the first crate.

• Like 1

"Big bottles (620ml) increased by 12 baht per box or equal to 1 baht per bottle.
Small bottles (320ml) increased by 18 baht per box or 0.75 baht per bottle.
Long cans (490ml) increased by 11 baht per tray or 0.90 baht per can.
Short cans (320ml) increased by 18 baht per tray or 0.75 baht per can.

The rise means consumers could see an increase of between 10-20 baht per box (bottles) or per tray (cans) on the retail price of Leo."

Ok let's do some basic math.

10-20THB increase per box/tray on the retail price.

1 box = 12 big bottles or 24 small bottles

1 tray = 12 long cans or 24 short cans

If 10THB increase on retail price:

1 big bottle = current price + 0.83THB

1 small bottle = current price + 0.41THB

If 20THB increase on retail price:

1 big bottle = current price + 1,66THB

1 small bottle = current price + 0.82THB

As a reminder:

1THB = 0.03 € ????

Bottom line: no big deal @ all.

giphy.gif