Major Thai brewer announces increase in beer prices

webfact

Tried Leo once when it first came out...never again.

I can also remember when Guinness first came to Bangkok - it was around 300 baht a pint...sold out quickly.

Beer is a funny issue, I laugh when tourists come to the pub and get all bent out of shape because there is no London Pride or John Smiths...perhaps they should holiday at home.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Archa, my go to beer before I hit the red wine or gin ????????????

Oh dear..... now that stuff is awful. 

I just go for Leo as I dislike SIngha and Chang, and Heiny is usually over-priced. 

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article.

18 hours ago, RedArmy said:

From today 1st July ????

I bought a box yesterday & noticed on my receipt afterwards, i was charged 766 baht instead of my usual 745 baht.

Don't stress too much please. A bottle of beer (one!) is 250 Baht here in Brisbane ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Seppius said:

SML for me 5% and every one tastes the same (unless it's been frozen) Why bars still do this I don't understand

Because Thai's love more ice than beer in their glass.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If you have to ask ...

... so sad ... ????

DISCLAIMER:  possible hypocrisy, as I drank all 3 name brands, and then some.  Embarrassed to say ... I was lost.  Now it's Kopper, Snowy or Laos Dark.

Kopper ?  I'd rather drink Budweiser ...  well maybe not that bad but still.  At least the three name brands taste like beer.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Boon Rawd Trading Co., Ltd. has revealed that the price of Leo beer will increase from July 1, citing rising costs in production, energy and fuel

Here is my idea for Boon Rawd Brewery: stop financing Phalang Pracharat and you won't have to increase the beer price. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not sure why it's sad.  I find a cold Leo with lots of ice in the afternoon delightful. Cheers.

You have definitely gone native! Good for you. I could never do put ice in my beer, even after 17 years in Thailand. 

Edited by spermwhale
  • Like 2

I bought a crate of 12 beer Leo strong brew yesterday 1 July, and was charged B638 instead of the B585 prior to this date, in Makro. It is obvious this was existing stock and Makro will take the extra profit. 

This is virtually a 10% increase with no notice and serves only to preserve high profits for selling alcoholic water. 

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

Tried Leo once when it first came out...never again.

I can also remember when Guinness first came to Bangkok - it was around 300 baht a pint...sold out quickly.

Beer is a funny issue, I laugh when tourists come to the pub and get all bent out of shape because there is no London Pride or John Smiths...perhaps they should holiday at home.

Actually, we get out of shape because the beer is warm. However, I suppose it is logical for such a cold hole.

Edited by Lacessit

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

time to quit drinking 555

Yes maybe it's time to cut back or quit all together as it does dehydrate you and makes you look old and wrinkled like a prune. Try drinking some carrot juice instead, it will help you see better when walking up stairs. Right Joe?

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-alcohol-dehydrate-you

Leo,  I remember a box of 12.large bottle 560 baht,  Not really a drinker guess one got to acquire the taste?  

I see Thais drinking Da new beer called My beer produced by Chang,  it was 588 a box large bottles.  

Add to the fluid I do like a cold beer with Ice Hawaiian style. 

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Archa, my go to beer before I hit the red wine or gin ????????????

What is your 'go to' gin while in Thailand. I do the Uncle Tom if it's available but usually buy the 500 baht (or so) Gilbey's for a liter.

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Leo,  I remember a box of 12.large bottle 560 baht,  Not really a drinker guess one got to acquire the taste?  

I see Thais drinking Da new beer called My beer produced by Chang,  it was 588 a box large bottles.  

Add to the fluid I do like a cold beer with Ice Hawaiian style. 

My Beer is Singha Lite with a name change. Been around for ages.

I didn't realise that beer drinking is so expensive. My last purchase of any alcohol was before 5th November 1982. If I had continued to drink beer, I wonder if I'd have cancer by now as alcohol is a Grade 1 carcinogen.

1 hour ago, futsukayoi said:

Kopper ?  I'd rather drink Budweiser ...  well maybe not that bad but still.  At least the three name brands taste like beer.

Holy Buddha ... that's one they don't do, resemble anything that could be called beer. image.png.0f94a02407260efb49db078edd84251f.png

Interesting that Boonrawd is raising the price on alcohol first. They were always a price gouging company when Singha was the only beer available. If Chang maintains prices they could lose market share. 

Still, there’s alway ganja I suppose...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wytchend said:

Don't stress too much please. A bottle of beer (one!) is 250 Baht here in Brisbane ????

I assume that's buying one 750 ml bottle. Just buy a box.

Bought 24 Coopers Pale Ale 440 ml with discount for $42 or $1.75 or 43 baht a bottle for a third bigger size .

Goat beer is $46 for 24 375 ml cans or $1.91 a bottle or 46 baht for the bigger size. 

Good beers too. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy