Brittney Griner: Detained U.S. basketball star appears in Russian court on drug charges

onthedarkside

Screenshot_3.jpg.d8e41a66df2db8199e90eadb1e5f2f18.jpg

American basketball star Brittney Griner has gone on trial in Russia on charges of illegal cannabis possession.

Ms Griner, a three-time WNBA league champion and seven-time All-Star, was seen arriving handcuffed at a court in the town of Khimki, outside Moscow.

If convicted, the 31-year-old faces up to 10 years in prison.

The US says she is being wrongfully held and should be freed. Russia denies that her detention is motivated by US-Russia tensions over the Ukraine war.

(more)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62011084

BBC.jpg.jpg.ceb2069e923b154ab337d0cb0115260f.jpg

Since Jan. 23, the U.S. State Department had warned Americans not to travel to Russia, saying there was the “potential for harassment against U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials.”

Yet, Brittney Griner and other WNBA players have for years played overseas in countries like Russia, precisely because they’re paid far more than in the U.S.

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2022/03/07/detained-in-russia-wnba-star-brittney-griner-faces-uncertain-future/

1 hour ago, jimmybcool said:

What gets me is the continual comments she is being wrongfully held.  Unless they are implying she is innocent and did not have illegal stuff on her this is just wrong.  I wonder if one of us on this forum showed up at Moscow and were arrested for having marijuana on us would they be commenting the same or just tough luck don't smuggle drugs?  Feels like her fame as a professional athlete and a black woman are getting her special treatment from the US government.

I have nothing against this girl and don't know her.  Just wondering where the comments of wrongfully held come from.

I have wondered the same thing.  No one has really articulated how it's unfair.  I do feel for her, her wife and teammates, but the questions I have are as follows:

She was in Russia, so were the cartridges obtained in Russia?   

What normally happens to people who are caught with Marijuana?  What amount was it and does the amount constitute a more severe punishment?

Is there reason to believe that she did not have marijuana in her possession when she was leaving?

30 minutes ago, Credo said:

I have wondered the same thing.  No one has really articulated how it's unfair.  I do feel for her, her wife and teammates, but the questions I have are as follows:

She was in Russia, so were the cartridges obtained in Russia?   

What normally happens to people who are caught with Marijuana?  What amount was it and does the amount constitute a more severe punishment?

Is there reason to believe that she did not have marijuana in her possession when she was leaving?

I just read an article with the following:

"""""Russian news media have repeatedly raised speculation that Griner could be swapped for Russian arms trader Viktor Bout, nicknamed "the Merchant of Death," who is serving a 25-year sentence on conviction of conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens and providing aid to a terrorist organization.""""

Seems like  perhaps Russia isn't acting in good faith.  Grab a celebrity and hold them hostage to get back a true criminal (assuming the trial for Victor Bout was legit which I have no reason to doubt).  Not liking this at all.  I know even though I am no celebrity (except in my own mind) I won't be visiting Russia.  Even if they hadn't invaded Ukraine.  I hope the US finds some other way to punish Russia and NO MORE AMERICANS visit Russia even for a day.  Stay out. 

• Like 1

Don't be so naive. 

Whether she had the goods or not, if she wasn't famous (and being lesbian helps as the Putin regime is aggressively anti LGBT) she wouldn't be up against punishments of this level. 

She's basically being held hostage for the hope to trade for a much higher value Russian or Russians, and also of course, given war criminal Putin's antics and the sanctions, it's a way to stick it to the USA in general. It has propaganda value in Russia as well to continue to scapegoat LGBT and linking LGBT to the west. So she's literally a great catch for them, a true gift.

Of course we all can face consequences for crimes abroad, but this is much bigger than that. But indeed it ought to be a lesson to other westerners as well -- steer clear of Russia! Even nobodies may have value as Putin pawns. 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't be so naive. 

Whether she had the goods or not, if she wasn't famous (and being lesbian helps as the Putin regime is aggressively anti LGBT) she wouldn't be up against punishments of this level. 

She's basically being held hostage for the hope to trade for a much higher value Russian or Russians, and also of course, given war criminal Putin's antics and the sanctions, it's a way to stick it to the USA in general. It has propaganda value in Russia as well to continue to scapegoat LGBT and linking LGBT to the west. So she's literally a great catch for them, a true gift.

Of course we all can face consequences for crimes abroad, but this is much bigger than that. But indeed it ought to be a lesson to other westerners as well -- steer clear of Russia! Even nobodies may have value as Putin pawns. 

Who was naive?

6 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Who was naive?

Anyone that thinks she is just another person accused of a crime in Russia and being treated the same as a non-famous person. That's who. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Anyone that thinks she is just another person accused of a crime in Russia and being treated the same as a non-famous person. That's who. 

She knew the risks. Nobody thinks she is just another person. It was a no brainer that Russia was going to do something like this. The State Dept had warned against travel to Russia. She obviously thought she was bullet proof. She was not naive, she was stupid and she has now present the US with a headache.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

She knew the risks. Nobody thinks she is just another person. It was a no brainer that Russia was going to do something like this. The State Dept had warned against travel to Russia. She obviously thought she was bullet proof.

Not everyone is politically savvy. You could say she should have known better, but that doesn't mean that she did. Maybe she's just a dumb jock. 

As far as the question of whether the U.S. should agree to a very unbalanced prisoner swap, my initial feeling is no. Don't be bullied by that Putin monster. But yes that would make her a victim of this war.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not everyone is politically savvy. You could say she should have known better, but that doesn't mean that she did. Maybe she's just a dumb jock. 

As far as the question of whether the U.S. should agree to a very unbalanced prisoner swap, my initial feeling is no. Don't be bullied by that Putin monster. But yes that would make her a victim of this war.

She's a rich professional sportswoman. She has a manager. It's unlikely she didn't get the memo. I agree the US should not cave in and swap her. If memory serves they haven't been in a hurry to do so in the past.

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

She knew the risks. Nobody thinks she is just another person. It was a no brainer that Russia was going to do something like this. The State Dept had warned against travel to Russia. She obviously thought she was bullet proof. She was not naive, she was stupid and she has now present the US with a headache.

Maybe she thought since she had done this before, playing in Russia, that it was OK.  In hindsight stupid but whatever.  And I agree.  US should not be bullied into releasing a serious criminal in response. 

• Like 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

She's a rich professional sportswoman. She has a manager. It's unlikely she didn't get the memo. I agree the US should not cave in and swap her. If memory serves they haven't been in a hurry to do so in the past.

I have a lot more sympathy for her than you do and am not so quick to condemn her without knowing the facts, but his happened and it's horrible for her and and her family. I consider her a casualty of war. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a lot more sympathy for her than you do and am not so quick to condemn her without knowing the facts, but his happened and it's horrible for her and and her family. I consider her a casualty of war. 

I'm not condemning her. I just don't believe she was either naive nor uninformed. She had every reason to know the risks. She had little regard for the problems she was likely to cause.

• Like 1

She states it was CBT oil in her vape. Russian authorities are saying it is hash oil. Russian authorities are well know for changing the facts to suit their narrative.  This is most likely politically motivated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Don't be so naive. 

I agree but is this much different than the Chinese businesswoman held in Vancouver on a USA warrant? Trump offered to exchange her for better trade agreement terms. Once the Biden administration took over the charges were deferred and she went home. The Imbecile Canadian Minister ended up getting drummed out of politics for going along with the charade.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think there is a fair chance that the U.S. will make an unbalanced deal to get her back. I hope not but there will be a lot of pressure to do what it takes. 

I hope the exchange is for Julian Assange so he can go hang out with his friend Snowden in Moscow