WikiLeaks' Assange lodges appeal against U.S. extradition

Scott

WikiLeaks' Assange lodges appeal against U.S. extradition

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen in a police van, after he was arrested by British police, in London

LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange has appealed to the High Court in London to block his extradition to the United States to face criminal charges, his brother said on Friday, the latest step in his legal battle that has dragged on for more than a decade.

Assange, 50, is wanted by U.S. authorities on 18 counts, including a spying charge, relating to WikiLeaks' release of vast troves of confidential U.S. military records and diplomatic cables which Washington said had put lives in danger.

Last month, Home Secretary Priti Patel approved his extradition, with her office saying British courts had concluded his extradition would not be incompatible with his human rights, and that he would be treated appropriately.

https://www.reuters.com/world/wikileaks-assange-lodges-appeal-against-us-extradition-2022-07-01/

image.jpeg

Priti Patel should know better; her parents (Indian natives) did a (justified) runner from Uganda back in the day as Idi Amin Dada nationalized everything owned by Indians.

Assange would not have violated any European law yet the US legal system is an octopus-monster of its own. 

Why is, i.e. Roman Polanski never extradited after having been charged with drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl. He  pleaded guilty to the lesser offence of unlawful sex with a minor - what a farçe by not calling a spade a spade! He managed to make a runner 44 years ago to Paris and never went back to the US. As a result, Polanski remains a fugitive from the U.S. criminal justice system but nobody ever tried anything to extradite him to face the music. 

If Assange is extradited, he will be toast and Patel knows that. In all fairness, Assange did the planet a favour - very much to the total embarrassment and loss of the United States's face and its countless (secret and not so secret) services permanently blowing their own trumpet. 

The same British government though got whistled back by Brussels (Brexit does not seem to work that flawless yet) when BoJo wanted to extradite some Rwandans back to beautiful Kigali. Go figure ........ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I would advise anyone to stay out of the American 'justice' system if at all possible.

“American justice”, now there’s a contradiction of terms - what a joke. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I have little time or sympathy for Assange - in particular because he was, I firmly believe, reckless as to the consequences for people working within the American intelligence operations which, amongst other things which it could be argued did deserve to be made public, he exposed.

However, I have reservations about just how fair his trial will be, and more so, about the likely sentencing. He won't, we are assured, receive the death sentence, but America has a penchant for ludicrously long jail sentences which are neither rehabilitating, a deterrent or a fair punishment - but which just serve as revenge.

He will if sent to the USA die in jail - either of old age or at the hands of inmates.

I understand he is Australian, why not return him there, or even grant him retrospective diplomatic immunity - it seemed to work with that American woman who killed the lad on the motorcycle!

Edited by herfiehandbag

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have little time or sympathy for Assange - in particular because he was, I firmly believe, reckless as to the consequences for people working within the American intelligence operations which, amongst other things which it could be argued did deserve to be made public, he exposed.

However, I have reservations about just how fair his trial will be, and more so, about the likely sentencing. He won't, we are assured, receive the death sentence, but America has a penchant for ludicrously long jail sentences which are neither rehabilitating, a deterrent or a fair punishment - but which just serve as revenge.

He will if sent to the USA die in jail - either of old age or at the hands of inmates.

I understand he is Australian, why not return him there, or even grant him retrospective diplomatic immunity - it seemed to work with that American woman who killed the lad on the motorcycle!

The UK was in a position to play tit-for-tat regarding the lady who was in the accident.  It has nothing to do with Assange's case and the UK didn't bring it up.  Australia doesn't seem to have a great deal of love or support for their native son either.  I haven't seen them kick up much of a fuss over him.  Ecuador was his strongest supporter and they tired of his shenanigans rather quickly.   He was granted citizenship and then it was later revoked:

A naturalisation is reconsidered when it is granted based on the concealment of relevant facts, false documents or fraud. Ecuadorian authorities said Assange’s naturalisation letter had multiple inconsistencies, different signatures, the possible alteration of documents and unpaid fees, among other issues. 

Sweden also had their eye on him which they seem to have dropped as well.  So, it seems this 'defender of freedom' is being viewed just as he is, a dangerous hacker causing harm to many and help to none.

Based on his past behavior with confinement and incarceration, he doesn't seem to have learned much and continues to abuse those who help him.  

We don't even know exactly what specific charges will be laid against him.  We don't know for sure if anybody died because of his leaks, but it will come out when he stands trial.  His leaks, as titillating as some of them were, did a great deal of harm and did nothing good.  No policies changed because of his leaks.   

The US prison system is the best place for him.  

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/28/julian-assange-stripped-of-citizenship-by-ecuador

• Like 1