Flash Drive not recongnized by Notebook

Horatio Poke

I have 2 notebook computers, a very old Lenovo and a less old NEC.

The Lenovo recognizes all flash drives without problems, including my Apacer flash drives.

The NEC one fails to recognize when any Apacer flash drive is inserted.  It recognizes all other flash drives without any problem.  However it does recognize Apacer flash drives if I attach them to an extension USB lead and insert the lead into the computer USB slot.
The problem persists whether I run Windows on the computer itself or Linux distributions from a flash drive.

This all seems very odd to me.  I'd be grateful if anyone can offer a possible explanation for the NEC item's refusal to see Apacer flash drives other than when they are attached to an extension lead.
Thanking you folks in anticipation for your help.

Edited by Horatio Poke

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

When you insert the USB drive in the PC usb slot does the PC make any sounds?

Yes, bad connection. The extension lead has probably got a better connector and compensates for the NEC's weak/poor connector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

When you insert the USB drive in the PC usb slot does the PC make any sounds?

No.
But it does with flash drives which it detects.

I have 4 Apacer flash drives, 3 different models, and it doesn't see any of them unless I put them on an extension lead.  All other brands are instantly detected and without the necessity for the extension lead.

In the original post I should have used the word 'detect' rather than 'recognize'.
I've tried to amend that in my original post and remove the atrocious spelling mistake from the title but Aseannow won't let me.

2 hours ago, Horatio Poke said:

However it does recognize Apacer flash drives if I attach them to an extension USB lead and insert the lead into the computer USB slot.

That clearly points to a bad connection. 

That is a common problem. And you found already a workaround, the extension. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, then it´s maybe time to add: So, what´s the problem? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Yes, bad connection. The extension lead has probably got a better connector and compensates for the NEC's weak/poor connector.

What you state is so obvious, and yet it had never occurred to me.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:32 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And I was searching for some fiendish, dastardly, high tech, compatibility glitch - and all the time it was a low tech, house keeping hiccup.  Thanks for helping me to understand this issue and the way to override it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horatio Poke said:

And I was searching for some fiendish, dastardly, high tech, compatibility glitch - and all the time it was a low tech, house keeping hiccup.  Thanks for helping me to understand this issue and the way to override it.

Welcome to a club. I know some other member from that club. Mostly highly educated...

• Haha 1