Assuming you have no dependants, or family, who gets your money when you die?

giddyup

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's easy to say, but not so easy to do. For one thing, I have to have money in reserve for medical emergencies, plus, at 80, you find your tastes aren't that expensive.

Fair point, but I sincerely hope I don't live until I'm 80.

And I doubt I'll ever change my mind on that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

So what?

You are goingbto deprive her of a better life bevause of something you fantasize May occur.

And so what if it does.

Reafs as if, for an unknown reason, you don't want her to inherit from you and havevinvented a flimsy excuse.

Are you brain dead? I already said I have bought her a nice house and car, plus happy to provide for her future in a will, so what are you on about?

• Like 1

It's a good topic given the age of many here..

I'll be following it with interest.

As for me, my current plan is to manage my funds so they just slightly out-live me..

????

Edited by bobbin
  • Haha 1

Just now, bobbin said:

It's a good topic given the age of many here..

I'll be following it with interest.

As for me, my current plan is to mange my funds so they just slightly out-live me..

????

Like I already said, you don't have the same desire to splash out on expensive things at 80 that you may have done at 50. Unless you're a total loser, most people die with money in the bank.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

At present most of the funds are still in Australia, and as I have no intention of ever returning it might be difficult to set up a trust from there.

I would suggest setting up a trust fund in Australia to feed income to whatever Thais you wish to nominate as your beneficiaries.

Most lawyers will have ZOOM technology to host meetings face-to-face.

I recently made changes to my Australian will. Everything was done by email and ZOOM.

Cost me $690, the lawyers posted me the formal will document with a return envelope. Thai witnesses were acceptable, as long as they were independent of me, and not beneficiaries.

It wasn't quick, mainly due to postal delays. Otherwise, no problem to do it from here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would suggest setting up a trust fund in Australia to feed income to whatever Thais you wish to nominate as your beneficiaries.

Most lawyers will have ZOOM technology to host meetings face-to-face.

I recently made changes to my Australian will. Everything was done by email and ZOOM.

Cost me $690, the lawyers posted me the formal will document with a return envelope. Thai witnesses were acceptable, as long as they were independent of me, and not beneficiaries.

It wasn't quick, mainly due to postal delays. Otherwise, no problem to do it from here.

I'm actually thinking of transferring all my savings in the ANZ to my bank here in Thailand as I have no intention of ever returning, plus the money is earning nearly 0% interest in Oz.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am fast approaching said age. I see no reason to quit, provided I can stay physically and mentally healthy. I work on that daily, although I must admit some posters on ASEAN make the latter more difficult.

Like you, my health is pretty good, why would I decide to end it all just because I'm 80? Those kind if comments come from someone who thinks they are never going to get old, not realising that one day you wake up and there you are.

Just now, giddyup said:

I'm actually thinking of transferring all my savings in the ANZ to my bank here in Thailand as I have no intention of ever returning, plus the money is earning nearly 0% interest in Oz.

You can earn much better interest in Australia with peer-to-peer lenders such as Plenti, TruePillars, and Latrobe Financial, although the ATO will most probably tax the earnings at 32.5%

Wife has access to all here, and brother has POA, and access to all there/USA.

Though if I c r a p out, there won't be much there for him to be concerned about.  Have oops fund here, and the rest, I try to spend.  A challenge at times since I'm a thrifty shopper most times.

Any luck, I'll take myself out at home, she knows to dump my A$$ in a hole on the property, and she'll get to collect my SS & pension till whenever.

To the OP ... she could simply not tell anyone of any inheritance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You can earn much better interest in Australia with peer-to-peer lenders such as Plenti, TruePillars, and Latrobe Financial, although the ATO will most probably tax the earnings at 32.5%

Thanks, but too old to worry about all that now. Hopefully have enough to see me out.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Wife has access to all here, and brother has POA, and access to all there/USA.

Though if I c r a p out, there won't be much there for him to be concerned about.  Have oops fund here, and the rest, I try to spend.  A challenge at times since I'm a thrifty shopper most times.

Any luck, I'll take myself out at home, she knows to dump my A$$ in a hole on the property, and she'll get to collect my SS & pension till whenever.

To the OP ... she could simply not tell anyone of any inheritance.

I'm pretty sure she won't be bragging to anyone, she's not the type, but no doubt the hands will still come out. All I know is that she's not a materialistic person, so I'm thinking some of the money might be put to better use elsewhere, like taking care of soi dogs etc.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

...  taking care of soi dogs etc.

Had me until ...

... anything but.  Plenty of orphanages around that could use a few baht.

The owner of Sunrise Taco, and another business owner, operate a very worthwhile charity (Bangkok Comm Help) that helps the Khlong Toei slums, and really can't think of a better place to help folks out of their daily misery.

One reason I don't mind paying a bit more for my Mexican munch at Sunrise Taco.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm pretty sure she won't be bragging to anyone, she's not the type, but no doubt the hands will still come out. All I know is that she's not a materialistic person, so I'm thinking some of the money might be put to better use elsewhere, like taking care of soi dogs etc.

I was with you all the way until that last sentence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Had me until ...

... anything but.  Plenty of orphanages around that could use a few baht.

The owner of Sunrise Taco, and another business owner, operate a very worthwhile charity (Bangkok Comm Help) that helps the Khlong Toei slums, and really can't think of a better place to help folks out of their daily misery.

One reason I don't mind paying a bit more for my Mexican munch at Sunrise Taco.

My "soi dogs" suggestion wasn't meant to be taken literally, dog lover I am, but I was merely suggesting a charity of some description other than a big lump sum going to one person, but thanks for the orphanage and slum charities, will bear that in mind.

• Like 1

Rather than cash, gold. The smaller coins and the 1-5 baht bars. In today's world, it will appreciate so even if she gives some away, and (frugally) cashes some in for expenses, the balance will not change.

Place in a hidden safe bolted into concrete. Even my small 10k baht safe holds a substantial amount of bullion where I live in.....oh, someone's at the door--

• Haha 1

Just now, Reposed said:

Rather than cash, gold. The smaller coins and the 1-5 baht bars. In today's world, it will appreciate so even if she gives some away, and (frugally) cashes some in for expenses, the balance will not change.

Place in a hidden safe bolted into concrete. Even my small 10k baht safe holds a substantial amount of bullion where I live in.....oh, someone's at the door--

She already has at least 2 million baht in gold, then she has to worry about it getting stolen. No, I'll keep it simple, cash in the bank, enough for her to live comfortably on until she dies.

Thailand does not recognize trusts and such a legal structure will have no effect.

In order to leave assets in trust to someone the assets need to be located, and the trust needs to be set up, elsewhere.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you have a choice?  Isn't that part of the "arrangement"?

Indeed, and in my case I'd never marry one of them, let alone leave my life savings to one of them. 

All to a reputable charity and to a cause I believe in. 

• Thanks 1

Thats my least worry after I leave this planet, and will happily leave my gf everything without any worry. 

Sad some mistrust their loved ones and their family so bad, that they rather give away they savings to save the “dogs” foundation instead. 

I trust socalled charity orgs less than I trust my gf family, that doesn’t mean all charities is bad. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed, and in my case I'd never marry one of them, let alone leave my life savings to one of them. 

All to a reputable charity and to a cause I believe in. 

"One of them" Pretty clear what kind of person you are.

Edited by giddyup

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thats my least worry after I leave this planet, and will happily leave my gf everything without any worry. 

Sad some mistrust their loved ones and their family so bad, that they rather give away they savings to save the “dogs” foundation instead. 

I trust socalled charity orgs less than I trust my gf family, that doesn’t mean all charities is bad. 

If you'd bothered to read my follow up, you'd see that I said I was being facetious when I said Soi dogs home. I wzs just naming a charity that sprang to mind. Considering I bought my partner a 5 million baht house and give her 200,000 baht every birthday, I could hardly be accused of being stingy.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you'd bothered to read my follow up, you'd see that I said I was being facetious when I said Soi dogs home. I wzs just naming a charity that sprang to mind. Considering I bought my partner a 5 million baht house and give her 200,000 baht every birthday, I could hardly be accused of being stingy.

If you can be “facetious” (thank you, learned a new word today) I can to? 

My respond is more about me not worrying about anything when Im leaving this place! Thats my goal to live a life without worrying about anything, and that also mean I for sure are not going to worry about my gf coming wife when Im still alive. 

You worrying about her when you die, means you have second thoughts even you spoil her now. I do not spoil my gf or her family when Im alive, but I will leave here everything belonging to me. 

I guess a different life a different planet when comparing to me and you. 

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Would you like to adopt me, I am house-trained, don't swear in front of ladies, in fact a thoroughly good egg all round........????