Chicken meat now 100baht kg

pixelaoffy

10 hours ago, Jerno said:

Means chicken costs more than the equivalent of three US Dollars for one Kilogram of chicken meat = 2.2046 pounds weight (for the uneducated).  Get with it.

I'm quiet knowledgeable of converting pounds to kilos but thanks for assuming I'm uneducated.  My reply was referring to the confusing sentence structure of the post.  Thanks for translating gibberish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Talking to a local butcher yesterday, they are bracing for a further rise in pork costs which seems to be imminent!

Surely they'll keep price gouging till people stop buying.  Why wouldn't they, as they are in control.  May become a vegan soon ????

• Haha 1

All that BS has nothing to do with Ukraine or Russia.

Pandemic + energy crisis + anemic globalization + poor leadership = Inflation.

We had it coming.

Our leaders are shortsighted losers.

Fxck'em all ????

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Chicken is often $1 a lb. here in the US for the dark meat (thighs/legs), which is about $2 for a kg.  That is surprising.

Where are you buying chicken thighs/legs for $1 per pound?  I'll alert my relatives so they can go buy it all.

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually, they're geniuses, multi millionaires & billionaires ... 

... we're the idiots that tolerate it.   Why do you think they took all your guns away ???  Certainly wasn't for YOUR safety ... 

UP THE REVOLUTION ????

Never took your guns away in USA.  Saturated with them. Morethanthe population 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Never took your guns away in USA.  Saturated with them. Morethanthe population 

Yea, but we're, and me, ain't there.  Not that it matters.  Long ways before the breaking point of the populous...anywhere.

Thais will simply stop or slow buying the silly priced stuff, until it comes back down.  Expect a larger and louder protests next year if something doesn't happen.

So much for freezing the meat prices last month, same as diesel, seems every other week they let rise up another 1 baht.

People will tire of the BS soon, then they'll just bring it down to half the silly increase, and everyone will be thankful.  

Sadly, accept that as the new normal ... ????

Think I'll have a coop, free eggs, and stick with local seafood.  May have to invest in a kayak and a good rod with some trolling lines ... oh yea.

Exercise & dinner image.png.277313e4639144658194faf66b3c2058.png

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Surely they'll keep price gouging till people stop buying.  Why wouldn't they, as they are in control.  May become a vegan soon ????

They don't care if Thais eat chicken or not. They reoriented chicken production first to China and then a few months ago to Saudi Arabia. That is why the price of chicken has doubled in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

They don't care if Thais eat chicken or not. They reoriented chicken production first to China and then a few months ago to Saudi Arabia. That is why the price of chicken has doubled in Thailand.

CP and the Thai junta gov don't care anything about thais unless have power and influence ..worst corporate monopolies in world be that with Food, telecommunications and other industries 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Any links that prove they outsourced chicken production?

41 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Any links that prove they outsourced chicken production?

If the Saudis are paying a better price, than selling here, maybe.

So much for 'Thai for Thai'

https://www.poultryworld.net/the-industrymarkets/market-trends-analysis-the-industrymarkets-2/saudi-arabia-lifts-18-year-ban-on-thai-chicken/

Supply & demand ... maybe, if they keep shipping it out.  Oh well.

Isn't this the time the Govt should have import/export limits on essentials, instead of concentrating on Gulfstreams, subs & f35s.

From an old news blip:

"Countries that import Thai chicken meat include:

Japan, Britain, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Ireland, Canada, South Korea and Singapore, and countries in which Thailand has a low market share include the US, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Britain, Germany, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, China, France, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Iraq, Angola, South Africa, Philippines and Taiwan."

https://www.poultryworld.net/poultry/thailand-to-boost-chicken-exports-after-50-fall-in-domestic/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If the Saudis are paying a better price, than selling here, maybe.

So much for 'Thai for Thai'

https://www.poultryworld.net/the-industrymarkets/market-trends-analysis-the-industrymarkets-2/saudi-arabia-lifts-18-year-ban-on-thai-chicken/

Supply & demand ... maybe, if they keep shipping it out.  Oh well.

Isn't this the time the Govt should have import/export limits on essentials, instead of concentrating on Gulfstreams, subs & f35s.

From an old news blip:

"Countries that import Thai chicken meat include:

Japan, Britain, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Ireland, Canada, South Korea and Singapore, and countries in which Thailand has a low market share include the US, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Britain, Germany, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, China, France, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, Mexico, Iraq, Angola, South Africa, Philippines and Taiwan."

https://www.poultryworld.net/poultry/thailand-to-boost-chicken-exports-after-50-fall-in-domestic/

There is a difference between reorientating production, and reorientating sales/exports.

Chickens are still bred/produced in Thailand, and exports are usually different quality and standards as local sales.

Thai chicken has been exported all over the world for the last decades

14 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

There is a difference between reorientating production, and reorientating sales/exports.

Chickens are still bred/produced in Thailand, and exports are usually different quality and standards as local sales.

Thai chicken has been exported all over the world for the last decades

Yes, realize that.  2nd link though dated, pointed out the slump in chicken sales, and I guess more people eating in, and no tourist here would account for that.  So produces looked and possibly found better price, and 2 yrs of exports, have caught up with the domestic pricing.

OR ... just gouging.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, realize that.  2nd link though dated, pointed out the slump in chicken sales, and I guess more people eating in, and no tourist here would account for that.  So produces looked and possibly found better price, and 2 yrs of exports, have caught up with the domestic pricing.

OR ... just gouging.

I would think that exports actually have slumped for the past 2 years, not only because of covid restrictions, but also because of sky high transportation prices.

So gouging is my guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Chicken breasts in Tesco were always 35bht/400gm. 

You'll find most everything of a better value if you shop at your local daily fresh markets instead of the proverbial Western-style supermarkets. 

It appears to me that most Farang here are not very cognitive or aware of their place or surroundings. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

and next year it won't be the carcasses ...   it'll be rice and water 

MIX  some chicken maggi cubes with it, gives them at least some confusion ....in last resort before they go hunt the chickens from neighbours ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, howlee101 said:

Where are you buying chicken thighs/legs for $1 per pound?  I'll alert my relatives so they can go buy it all.

Kroger (Fred Meyer) has it all the time.  Sometimes drops down to .89 cents a pound when it's on sale.  

7 hours ago, howlee101 said:

A quick look here in Richmond, VA - 10 pound bags of leg/thigh quarters.  Cheapest one is at ALDI (the German store).  Maybe they're raising 4-legged chickens these days and have an over supply.

image.png.64c84c515e80fb5d144cbea81792b510.png

Prices per pound for whole chicken.  (The $6.29 is average price for ~ a 5.5 lb chicken @ $1.12/lb)

image.png.2ec01a3f9fcd35293544317514d1d0bd.png

22 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I've gotten by without meat for 50 years now.  I do suck eggs and eat dairy.  I see egg prices are up here in the US lately.  The past few years one could get them for less than $1 a dozen, about 2.5 Baht each.  Now maybe 5 Baht each.  But egg prices have been all over the place for years.  Chicken and pork can still be had here for reasonable prices.  Good beef is worth rustling at present. 

is my main protein when back home--i go to the stores that discount eggs-organics as they last well after exp date...i also do this with meat--shop at stores that discount meat and cook it all off for the week as they cant sell it past exp date but is still fine--thus getting it half off   I used to cook for Whole foods and the amount of food waste was so appalling it quit...

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

is my main protein when back home--i go to the stores that discount eggs-organics as they last well after exp date...

Lately we have it knocked.  Nearby friends vacation a lot, so I care for their 2 dogs, 2 lovebirds, 6 laying hens and water the plants.  I get all sorts of colored eggs for free, not to mention an occasional case of beer.  They have about 120 sq meter enclosure and the chickens occasionally get out in the larger yard.  I hand feed them lawn weeds like chickweed and clover.  They just got 4 more baby chicks that are currently at my house :). 

Back to chicken, I see stats that in 2021, the US produced 9.3 Billion broiler chickens in 2021.  It will be interesting to see how inflation, supply and demand affect prices over here the next year vs. Thailand.  I feel sorry for the folks who are just eking out a living. 

• Like 1