Suvarnabhumi Airport Sees Increased Passenger Traffic

snoop1130

Where are all the TV doomers that were saying Thailand was dead as a tourist destination forever and ever?  What is the new shiny object they are complaining about now a days?  Cannabis laws not well thought out maybe?  It's always something with the perpetually wrong serial complainers.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Daily arrivals under the old normal was around 180 thousand. A long way to go but let's hope for all those whose lives who have been decimated due to the unnecessary border closers don't have to go through what they have these last two years and the government focus on getting the economy back in shape. No mean feat in this global downturn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Senior Player said:

The number of international flights stands at only 30% of the pre-pandemic level, according to TAT governor Yuthasak Supasor. There's also reports that insufficient inbound international flights and surging airfares are challenging the recovery. Add to this many airlines are reluctant to expand their routes or increase frequencies as several global uncertainties threaten profit prospectsincluding substantial operational costs caused by soaring fuel prices as well as the longer flying time required to avoid the skies above the Russian-Ukraine combat zoneand it paints a rather gloomy picture for the remainder of this year. Personally, I still don't see things picking up until we're in 2023.

Correct, I just recently had to book a short flight in Europe, tripple the regular price.

• Like 1

I was there on Friday night. It was very quiet. 

Obviously not all arrivals are tourists either. Case in point, I was returning from a business trip to Australia and the couple next to me on the plane were travelling on to London 4 hours later for a wedding. 3 arrivals, but no tourists.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

When I return from a UK family visit in August (after getting a re-entry permit) will I be counted as a tourist?

TAT counts all arrivals as tourists.  Together with their 'special' calculator they manufacture tourists out of thin air.

I can't understand their need for constant BS unnecessary unfounded daily updates on the (potential) tourists numbers, don't they have anything else more important to report

• Like 1

Not all arrivals landing at an Airport are entering that country. A fair amount are just connecting.

If that was so, UK, The Netherlands, with the volume of traffic passing through these Airports. These countries would be No1 for "Tourist". Then again all exiting an aircraft in the LO*"* are counted as tourist.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Foreign arrivals at Suvarnabhumi Airport have surged in the three days since the Thailand Pass requirement was lifted on Friday (1 July).

Amazing Thailand, if only they had the backbone to do it six months ago.

• Like 2

I've just read that the Government plans to charge foreigners more than Thais for hotel rooms. According to reports, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual tariff framework, under which foreign visitors can be charged the same rates as in pre-pandemic days, while locals will be charged discounted rates.

Well, that should make us feel more welcome and get us booking our already expensive flights to Bangkok then.

2 hours ago, Senior Player said:

I've just read that the Government plans to charge foreigners more than Thais for hotel rooms. According to reports, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual tariff framework, under which foreign visitors can be charged the same rates as in pre-pandemic days, while locals will be charged discounted rates.

Well, that should make us feel more welcome and get us booking our already expensive flights to Bangkok then.

I just read the same. Talk about gun and foot. How do they even come up with such ideas ??

Anyway, I think it's so complicated to implement in practice that the proposal will be aborted.

What level of surcharge, how to distinguish locals and foreigners e.g. mixed families, the fact that rooms are often booked not from the hotel but from brokers, what happens to packages like flight+hotel, and so on.

But surely it will be fun to watch the forum explode when the official topic is created.