Non Immigrant 'O' based on Retirement.

Does anyone have relevant recent experience on the following? The welcome page for the eVisa site now says "Health insurance(s) are required only for Special Tourist Visa (STV), and Long-Stay Visas (Non-Immigration OA and OX) applications." I am trying to apply for the 90 day 'O' based on retirement. However as part of the the application process there is a requirement to upload the policy document from a Thai insurance company for the 40,000/400,000 health cover. Is this now redundant? And what does one upload instead; a copy of the quoted eVisa statement perhaps. I will be applying to London. Any sugestion appreciated.

Edited by DoctorB
clarification.

As stated by ubonjoe, you can enter visa exempt and obtain the non-o here in Thailand.  To give myself more time, I entered with a SETV then applied for my non-o while in Thailand.  All you need is to show the money in the bank.  No other paperwork is needed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The basic medical insurance is needed to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement. It only needs to be valid for 90 days.

If you do not want deal with the insurance and applying for the non-o visa you could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day stay and then apply for the non-o visa at immigration and then the one year extension near the end of the 90 day stay it allows.

Info here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Will I need to use the Thai 40k/400k insurance regardless - or will they be happy with any insurance that meets (in fact exceeds) those requirements?

I have no intention of buying useless extra insurance.

Do immigration issue multi-entry non-Os or would I need to get a reentry permit if I was to get a non-O in country and want to travel abroad?

I'd rather just get a multi-entry here at home and enter on that.

15 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Do immigration issue multi-entry non-Os or would I need to get a reentry permit if I was to get a non-O in country and want to travel abroad?

You cannot obtain ME Non O in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Will I need to use the Thai 40k/400k insurance regardless - or will they be happy with any insurance that meets (in fact exceeds) those requirements?

I

If you apply for the non-o visa and then a one year extension based upon retirement no  proof of insurance will be required.

Only embassies and official Thai consulates are asking for it when applying for a non-o visa for retirement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If you apply for the non-o visa and then a one year extension based upon retirement no  proof of insurance will be required.

Only embassies and official Thai consulates are asking for it when applying for a non-o visa for retirement.

Thanks for the reply.

However, I intend buying insurance - I just don't want the Thai stuff as well . if I apply here in Germany will they accept let's say Barmenia or Ergo with millions of coverage, or will they insist on the Thai scam as well, on top of my legit faring insurance?

I'd rather get a non-O multi here at home rather than prat about with embassy and immigration and extension and so on when I get there and all I want to do is relax and travel ...

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The basic medical insurance is needed to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement. It only needs to be valid for 90 days.

If you do not want deal with the insurance and applying for the non-o visa you could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day stay and then apply for the non-o visa at immigration and then the one year extension near the end of the 90 day stay it allows.

Info here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Can it be only Covid19 cover or does it have to be full medical cover?

20 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Can it be only Covid19 cover or does it have to be full medical cover?

For a non-o visa application at a embassy or consulate it has to cover medical treatment for 90 days.

No medical insurance is needed if done at immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A friend wants to know if it can be obtained in Thailand through an agent avoiding the 800k thb deposit requirement? Personally I have a re-entry permit. Anyone know if I will I need to show insurance to enter (vaccinated) now please?

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a non-o visa application at a embassy or consulate it has to cover medical treatment for 90 days.

No medical insurance is needed if done at immigration. 

I am just reading elsewhere that this visa is available again in Vientiane and Savanakhet, even multiple entry in Savanakhet. Is this true, and would they require health insurance too?

I was just checking on Dutch embassy yesterday and saw the demand. They also mentioned the amounts of money in insurance MUST be shown.  It says "explicit"

@Ubonjoe, so there is a difference between the first non O retirement visa by consulate and the visa in Thailand?

In Thailand you can have the non O retirement, without the health insurance, but then with the same requirements as in a long visa non OA? 

If you apply for a non O retirement visa in Thailand, you also need to have papers of behavior, extraction of birth register and some others? Or does those also disappear, not needed? Meaning in Thailand you have other requirements?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No doubt you are right but that the embassies should do this seems a bit odd. The application website seems pretty clear. This is worse than herding cats.

Ins.jpg

28 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In Thailand you can have the non O retirement, without the health insurance, but then with the same requirements as in a long visa non OA? 

No need for most of the OA visa requirements.

31 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

If you apply for a non O retirement visa in Thailand, you also need to have papers of behavior, extraction of birth register and some others? Or does those also disappear, not needed? Meaning in Thailand you have other requirements?

None of those are needed to apply for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

No doubt you are right but that the embassies should do this seems a bit odd.

When embassies and official consulates started issuing non-o visas back in 2020 when they opened the country again for those on retirement extensions and etc is when they put in the insurance requirements.

Before that the majority of Thai embassies and official consulates were not issuing non-o visas for retirement.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When embassies and official consulates started issuing non-o visas back in 2020 when they opened the country again for those on retirement extensions and etc is when they put in the insurance requirements.

Before that the majority of Thai embassies and official consulates were not issuing non-o visas for retirement.

The UK seems to have been an exception in this respect. I have a string of 'O's going back to one issued by Birmingham in 2002, and the last a double entry from London in 2019. It's sad how easily a good thing gets knocked on the head. I suppose one has simply to learn to do things differently. I guess the fallback is the SETV or visa exempt and then apply in country. None of the Thai companies will sell me the required insurance anyhow at 77, only Covid cover.

• Like 1

My experience in May visit was to get a Non-O Visa you needed a Bank Acct with B 800,000.  I couldn't get a bank account without a Visa,        Tried 3 Banks    BB  Kasikorn   UOB    no luck getting an account.

Been on O-A since 2009    Guess I will have to use an agent

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, statman78 said:

As stated by ubonjoe, you can enter visa exempt and obtain the non-o here in Thailand.  To give myself more time, I entered with a SETV then applied for my non-o while in Thailand.  All you need is to show the money in the bank.  No other paperwork is needed.

OR use a pre- qualified reputable in-country Agent for Convenience / No Financials / No Snags/ Open Bank Account/ No Stress / Guaranteed Outcome / Speed. 

Edited by TropicalGuy

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You cannot obtain ME Non O in Thailand.

Correct ; for original Visa.

However, if having an existing / expired Longstay Visa,of any type, the allowable 12 month Retirement Stay permits ME. 

Edited by TropicalGuy
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Even though these did appear in official matrix of embassy visas,  citing UK Govt Pension as Basis. 

30 minutes ago, nana kid said:

My experience in May visit was to get a Non-O Visa you needed a Bank Acct with B 800,000.  I couldn't get a bank account without a Visa,        Tried 3 Banks    BB  Kasikorn   UOB    no luck getting an account.

Been on O-A since 2009    Guess I will have to use an agent

Yeah, used a first rate Phuket Agent six weeks ago to get my first in- country 12 month Retirement Stay ( No Financials) Included in that Service (at no extra cost) was Bank Account Opening & Immigration Address Proof (if required). ????

On 4/9/2022 at 2:30 AM, JackGats said:

Quite a few countries far better than TH for "active bachelors" in my opinion. Like Brazil and Colombia. I'd be living there now if they didn't tax my pension.

Many other countries are better than TH in that respect too but have so poor an infrastructure that you wouldn't want to live there long.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:05 AM, ubonjoe said:

You wife can enter Thailand with a expired Thai passport. I see not reason for their being a problem to do it.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I overstayed by accident ( did not read my visa properly) for two weeks about 5 years ago will that stop me getting a retirement visa?.

17 hours ago, statman78 said:

All you need is to show the money in the bank.  No other paperwork is needed.

How do i show the money in the bank?
You can't get a account unless you have a 1 year visa and a rent contract for one year.
A agent can fix that but the latest cost i have seen is ฿5k.
Do they accept a statement from my bank outside Thailand?

Anyone got any suggestions?

22 hours ago, statman78 said:

Depending on the immigration office, you may also need a rental contract, some copies of rental payment, TM30.

Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok wanted all in addition to the Bank statement

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Perlu said:

How do i show the money in the bank?
You can't get a account unless you have a 1 year visa and a rent contract for one year.
A agent can fix that but the latest cost i have seen is ฿5k.
Do they accept a statement from my bank outside Thailand?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Check around at different banks and even different branches of the same bank.  In the past I had no trouble opening an account with just a tourist visa.

I’m not sure if they accept an outside bank account when applying for the non-o with8n Thailand 

22 hours ago, nana kid said:

Strange. I was able to open an account with Bangkok Bank on a 30-day Visa exempt (here in Phuket).  The day after I arrived in Phuket, I went to Phuket immigration, and obtained a 1 page letter (with a passport sized photo on it) stating my residence in Thailand (for the 30-days).  I told immigration I needed the letter to open a Bank account.  They had seen this before so this was nothing new to them.

I had to provide the photo to immigration. It cost some nominal small amount of money to get the letter.  I already had the passport sized photo to provide immigration.

Armed with that letter, and my passport, Bangkok Bank opened an account for me. They asked me why I wanted the account, and I told them (1) for retirement so I could go for a non-immigrant visa, and (2) so to transfer money to Thailand to buy real estate.

The 'key' was that letter from immigration.  I also tried Kaskiorn and UOB and they would not let me open an account even with that letter from immigration.

Edited by oldcpu

• 3 months later...

On 7/5/2022 at 7:08 AM, ubonjoe said:
On 7/5/2022 at 7:08 AM, ubonjoe said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently on an OA-retirement visa. 
So I'm assuming I that I can use the requirements/instructions provided in the linked pdf (9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf) to change to a retirement O Visa, simply by: 
-leaving thailand, before my OA Visa expires
- returning on a 30 transit visa with my Canadian passport
- go directly to immigration to apply for the 90 day Non O Visa
- then extend for 1 year, before the 90 day visa expires... & In future, simply extend another year of still in thailand 

. correct? 

20 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

to change to a retirement O Visa, simply by: 
-leaving thailand, before my OA Visa expires
- returning on a 30 transit visa with my Canadian passport
- go directly to immigration to apply for the 90 day Non O Visa
- then extend for 1 year, before the 90 day visa expires... & In future, simply extend another year of still in thailand 

. correct? 

Correct 

Slight adjustments.

"Transit visa" ? Assume you mean visa exempt entry. 

The visa exempt entry is currently 45 days .

To apply for the non O retirement you require 15 days left on stamp and 800k in Thai bank account in your name only.

Then after 2 months seasoning the 800k apply for your 12 month extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1