Non Immigrant 'O' based on Retirement.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:30 AM, BusyB said:

I'd rather get a non-O multi here at home rather than prat about with embassy and immigration and extension and so on when I get there and all I want to do is relax and travel ...

You keep on harping the same thing again and again. A Non-O from Germany will give you 3-month stay. I am not even sure if they will issue an ME Non-O. Unless you post the advantages you're seeking over others' advice of changing to a Non-O from an exempt entry of TR visa entry, it is difficult to suggest something constructive. And moreover, why don't you try to upload your own insurance and see if they approve or not. Yes, you will lose the application fee if they reject it. If you don't want the hassle of immigration office, you can hire an agent (I think 5K BHT) to take care of that. Of course for that you need to bring 800K BHT and deposit it in a Thai bank.

Edited by Onerak

On 10/29/2022 at 5:37 PM, Onerak said:

You keep on harping the same thing again and again. A Non-O from Germany will give you 3-month stay. I am not even sure if they will issue an ME Non-O. Unless you post the advantages you're seeking over others' advice of changing to a Non-O from an exempt entry of TR visa entry, it is difficult to suggest something constructive. And moreover, why don't you try to upload your own insurance and see if they approve or not. Yes, you will lose the application fee if they reject it. If you don't want the hassle of immigration office, you can hire an agent (I think 5K BHT) to take care of that. Of course for that you need to bring 800K BHT and deposit it in a Thai bank.

I hope you feel better after that rant.  If I need advice I ask for it - here I was expressing a view in a discussion. In May as it happens, which seems to have escaped your superb attention to detail.

Why not just put me on ignore if you don't like my 'harping on'?

On 7/6/2022 at 6:54 PM, oldcpu said:

Strange. I was able to open an account with Bangkok Bank on a 30-day Visa exempt (here in Phuket).  The day after I arrived in Phuket, I went to Phuket immigration, and obtained a 1 page letter (with a passport sized photo on it) stating my residence in Thailand (for the 30-days).  I told immigration I needed the letter to open a Bank account.  They had seen this before so this was nothing new to them.

I no longer live in Thailand but I found the Thais remarkably helpful in matter of visas. I never used an agent to procure two different Thai visas for purposes of retirement. Same for opening a bank account, dress for success, be polite and if one branch won't open an account for you, try another one.

If a guy wants to use an agent, cool, it's his money. I reckon if obtaining a visa is so complicated that I need an agent, I question if I really want to live there. (Any country, not only Thailand)

18 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

. Same for opening a bank account, dress for success, be polite and if one branch won't open an account for you, try another one.

When did you last open a bank account in Bangkok on a visa exempt or tourist visa.

Being a snappy dresser won't cut it. 

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Being a snappy dresser won't cut it. 

Whatever. 

For open mined readers, dressing well and being polite has always gotten me good things.

Members like @DrJack54 reminds me why I no longer post on this forum????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancelot said:

Whatever. 

For open mined readers, dressing well and being polite has always gotten me good things.

Members like @DrJack54 reminds me why I no longer post on this forum????

You did not deal with my question. 

"When did you last open a bank account in Bangkok ".

It was a rhetorical question as what you suggest it will be adequate to open account in Bangkok is false.

They will (in Bangkok) require a residence certificate and that's not possible without a 90 day report.

It is possible that embassy may provide a letter which is sufficient for bank..

In many cases the person trying to open bank account is wishing to obtain a non O where time is of the essence. 

This very thread is about obtaining a non O. 

Edited by DrJack54