Brazilian student arrested in Bali for carrying cannabis from Thailand

webfact

Sure is good to know that so many posters apparently never did any stupid illegal srtuff when they were young....no it was not smart what he did...and yes he should have known better...and yes he will regret it for a long long time....but go ahead and pile on since so many on here obviously behaved like little angels when they were young....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

Well obviously none of the stupid illegal stuff we did was as stupid as taking weed through Malaysia to land in Indonesia (especially since both countries have the death penalty for drugs)

that is probably true but i suspect many might have driven drunk which could easily have ended up with some deaths and long prison terms....or maybe even gotten charged with statutory rape or any number of other actions that would not have turned out well....young and stupid often go hand and hand...fortunately most learn a few things as they get older but there are still plenty adults who do very stupid things every day all over the world....

It's obviously not just a Bali thing and I just checked the Australian penalty for cannabis import

There is a maximum penalty of up to 10-years imprisonment and/or a $420,000 fine for importing or exporting a ‘border-controlled drug’ other than a ‘marketable’ or ‘commercial quantity’

So I'd be double checking my suitcase before coming home if I was a smoker travelling around Thailand (and triple checking my girls bag if she was coming with)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

It's obviously not just a Bali thing and I just checked the Australian penalty for cannabis import

There is a maximum penalty of up to 10-years imprisonment and/or a $420,000 fine for importing or exporting a ‘border-controlled drug’ other than a ‘marketable’ or ‘commercial quantity’

So I'd be double checking my suitcase before coming home if I was a smoker travelling around Thailand (and triple checking my girls bag if she was coming with)

Dont do what Corbey did n take your boogey board! 

Such a piddling amount of pot I could see just forgotten it was there.

Why risk in baggage when you could just buy it there? I stopped with pot in 1985, but prior to that it was no problem getting weed in Bali during my annual summer trips there. Great shrooms too, but that's another subject....

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

South American carrying drugs ? That's extremely unusual !

Yeah.

Good catch.

He definitely gives off Cali cartel vibes.

Better check his poop for coke filled condoms.

The Indonesian people can sleep better at night knowing this menace to society won't be having a Bali beach holiday.

A bit of naivety from the student, I hope the Indonesians aren't too strict.

I never had an interest in drugs luckily but I came from a big family and my other 5 siblings all smoked copious amounts of weed and everyone of them eventually tried stronger drugs, buying and selling and growing for sale. I think legalising the weed is going to lead to further drug abuse.

Alcohol isn't much better and I was a big drinker thinking it was better than the drugs. I don't drink anymore either, because I never found the off switch, which was my weakness.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, rbkk said:

Thailand is now a confirmed 'Narcotics Hub' status as people from all over the world descend on Thailand to purchase their drugs and export them to the rest of the world it seems. I blame Long Covid-19 for the foggy thinking on this one. 

It's always been a hub for drugs, never heard of the Golden Triangle? ????

Thailand was used as a transit point for illicit drugs during the American war in Vietnam. 

• Thanks 1

This case may give him some hope as his 2.8g of cannibis similar amount (without the hash or supply charges)

Barry Wilfred Hess

50-year-old Barry Wilfred Hess, who is a former airline executive, is expected to be released from a Bali prison having served 4-months for a drug offence.

Hess, originally from Melbourne has been living in Bali for the last twelve-years. He was arrested for drug supply charges after police uncovered 14.4g of hashish and 2.7g of marijuana in his house

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

Know  what you are bringing in, Same as Thailand, you can have codeïne as medicine in western world, but in Thailand it is narcotic nr 2. You can have lots of problems then. OR did they changed it now? I came to this with google:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/morphine-cocaine-opium-to-be-legalised-for-medical-use-in-thailand

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, RickG16 said:

I'm assuming he didn't know the law or forgot that they were in his possession.

Anyone know what the penalty is likely to be?

It could be heavy. Could he not check beforehand what the law was in Indonesia?  A vacation ruined for a few grams of cannabis: was it worth it? He was lucky not to have been caught in Malaysia.

People need to think when traveling and study up on laws of country…… US WNBA star locked up in Russia everyone (seems like) wants her released…. She allegedly had vials of hash? Oil in her bags…

Some countries don’t play … anyways think 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

People need to think when traveling and study up on laws of country…… US WNBA star locked up in Russia everyone (seems like) wants her released…. She allegedly had vials of hash? Oil in her bags…

Some countries don’t play … anyways think 

The old saying "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time" is appropriate.  As for the WNBA player, all I can say is "karma's a bitch".  She was very well known for her protest against the US and routinely didn't show respect for the US National Anthem. She used her notoriety and fame to not support and defend her own country but now begs her country to help her.  However, I don't think a person of little political value would be facing the same charges but she chose this path so let her pay the consequences.....karma's a bitch.

19 hours ago, garyk said:

Just like the US used to be not so long ago.. Lives ruined for no reason.

I wholly disagree with the drug laws of Indonesia.

But holy f*, you must be completely stupid to travel around Asia with drugs in your bags.

That this guy 'deserves' it (as somebody said a few posts back), is of course the wrong phrasing... but he really cannot be surprised about what is going to happen now.

Edited by jts-khorat
typo

The concept of "think too much" (or 'tin tu mutt') is very much a criticism in Brazil. 

Why worry?  And when it comes to the law and people with $$$ it's pretty much like Thailand in that respect as well.

Poor kid might still be thinking the parents are going to come through and get him out of it.

4 hours ago, howlee101 said:

The old saying "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time" is appropriate.  As for the WNBA player, all I can say is "karma's a bitch".  She was very well known for her protest against the US and routinely didn't show respect for the US National Anthem. She used her notoriety and fame to not support and defend her own country but now begs her country to help her.  However, I don't think a person of little political value would be facing the same charges but she chose this path so let her pay the consequences.....karma's a bitch.

Whoa there!

In what way did she disrespect the national anthem and not support her country?

Do you mean protest?  

20 hours ago, garyk said:

Just like the US used to be not so long ago.. Lives ruined for no reason.

In some states it hasn't changed.  It has become ridiculous: in one state it's still the menace to society, cross the state line and you'll see billboards advertising it and get discount coupons on the back of your supermarket receipt.

image.jpeg.40531632120ec1131d226a70ec139473.jpeg

The previous occupant of the White House had an Attorney General who wanted all the laws against it brought back, fortunately he was removed.  No reason to believe someone else will not try the same thing.  I'm anticipating this could be an issue in the next presidential election.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Whoa there!

In what way did she disrespect the national anthem and not support her country?

Do you mean protest?  

If you bother to go back and read my post, I used the word protest.  Like I said, karma's a bitch.  Just like the Brazilian kid, know the laws of the country you are in and/or visiting.  She doesn't deserve any special treatment.

22 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

If you bother to go back and read my post, I used the word protest.  Like I said, karma's a bitch.  Just like the Brazilian kid, know the laws of the country you are in and/or visiting.  She doesn't deserve any special treatment.

Peaceful protest is not disrespect. It's what we should hope happens in a functioning democracy.

• Sad 1