Moving to thailand, storage etc

can live like a king or a pauper-local is all your choice here....1 star to 5 star

something for everyone budget------simple and cheap works for me...like a local

saw a friend at Astra condo today--wow  very fancy  lots of expats living there....too $$ for me

17 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just gonna get moldy and ruined.....been there done that..is baggage..dead weight...let it go or have a friend hold it..my buddy rented me his basement closet for keepsakes...now its all in my car..simplify..minimal lving

Right. I will talk to people get a deal done. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

tons of rooms ready and furnished...lots of second hand shops for brand names my size

hence the carry on bag......i could literally come here with just my debit card...

I bought a carry on bag. 

16 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

can live like a king or a pauper-local is all your choice here....1 star to 5 star

something for everyone budget------simple and cheap works for me...like a local

saw a friend at Astra condo today--wow  very fancy  lots of expats living there....too $$ for me

I mostly eat cheap food. Street food or small rest

If you just let your car sit in a basement etc for a long time it will not do well.  Unless you have a friend who will start it up and drive it around a bit at least once a month you'd be better off to sell it and move on.  You can always buy another car if you return.  There are tons of self storage units all over the world where people are paying thousands of $$ a year to store a bunch of junk like used furniture, books, old clothes, etc.  I know one guy who paid over 35 k over 10 years to store a bunch of old tools,  etc....eventually he sold the entire contents for less than $500....not exactly a great idea.

Self storage companies are laughing all the way to the bank at the stupidity of many of their customers.

I have learned that "stuff" has a way of filling every available closet/garage/ suitcase and you can either let it take over your life or get rid of it.

I got rid of a ton of stuff long ago....after 20 years there have been maybe 5 times when i thought of some item i got rid of but there is a lot to be said for out of sight out of mind.  Keep a few personal items like pics and dump the rest.  For clothes a good thought is if you haven't worn it in a year you are highly unlikely to wear it tomorrow.  Travel light is probably the single best piece of advice ever given in that regard.

\

good luck

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If you just let your car sit in a basement etc for a long time it will not do well.  Unless you have a friend who will start it up and drive it around a bit at least once a month you'd be better off to sell it and move on.  You can always buy another car if you return.  There are tons of self storage units all over the world where people are paying thousands of $$ a year to store a bunch of junk like used furniture, books, old clothes, etc.  I know one guy who paid over 35 k over 10 years to store a bunch of old tools,  etc....eventually he sold the entire contents for less than $500....not exactly a great idea.

Self storage companies are laughing all the way to the bank at the stupidity of many of their customers.

I have learned that "stuff" has a way of filling every available closet/garage/ suitcase and you can either let it take over your life or get rid of it.

I got rid of a ton of stuff long ago....after 20 years there have been maybe 5 times when i thought of some item i got rid of but there is a lot to be said for out of sight out of mind.  Keep a few personal items like pics and dump the rest.  For clothes a good thought is if you haven't worn it in a year you are highly unlikely to wear it tomorrow.  Travel light is probably the single best piece of advice ever given in that regard.

\

good luck

I thought about buying a storage unit.

8% yield in a sanely diversified income portfolio is impossible. Maybe 4%. You'd have all oil, REIT's, and MLP pipeline stocks. If one of your stocks cuts or eliminates the div, you'd def. feel it.

And high yield stocks are by def low growth stocks -you can't have your dividend cake today and not endure low share price growth tomorrow. If a stock gives you a 4% dividend and 4% growth, you're doing as well as you can expect. Not many stocks even hit that mark.

You need a min off $500K to make it worth investing in individual dividend stocks (call it 20 stocks as per Buffet) to make 4%. Below that, invest in a low cost dividend ETF like Schwab or Vanguard, prob nets you around 3%. An extra 1% off of $35K is only $350 a year. Is it worth $30 a month to substantially increase risking losing your principal? 

I'm moving in a month to Bangkok. I have someone house sitting for a while and paying the heating bill. Next year, we'll store some stuff at Grandma's house and rent out our place furnished.

The last few times I went over to SEA for months, I brought a tea strainer and mini-kettle, cheap probiotics, ear plugs, Astroglide, decent sheets and a couple of pillows I know I like.

Sheets and pillows are always polyester misery there, and worth the little bit of suitcase weight for that extra bit of $100 a month in-room comfort. It was the same in Mexico. A hot climate demands proper sheets. And a decent towel.

Edited by LaosLover

I retired and always wanted to experience living overseas. I sold my house, car, furniture. I put the money I made from the sale and saved it. Just in case things didn’t work out here.  
I moved to and presently have lived in Bangkok for about three years now. 
But I also didn’t come here with just nothing.  I had and have substantial savings and retirement income.  
Luckily I planned it like this. Because it’s not working for me living here.  Just don’t like it.  So I will be moving back to the states within a year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I do but ive got all this junk. 

I sold my house, gave my car and furniture to my mum, sold my Duc, stored all my tools with her as well and ditched just about everything else. It was one of the most exhilarating and personally fulfilling things I have ever done. 

Arrived in Thailand with the thoughts of renting only, everything, and living a bare bones life. That lasted 2 and a half years haha now married, bought a house, bought another Duc, got a drift car and bought a new daily recently. 
You can, and most likely will, accumulate more junk. Learn to let go, life takes on a whole new leaving releasing yourself from baggage 

Edited by MadMuhammad

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

8% yield in a sanely diversified income portfolio is impossible. Maybe 4%. You'd have all oil, REIT's, and MLP pipeline stocks. If one of your stocks cuts or eliminates the div, you'd def. feel it.

And high yield stocks are by def low growth stocks -you can't have your dividend cake today and not endure low share price growth tomorrow. If a stock gives you a 4% dividend and 4% growth, you're doing as well as you can expect. Not many stocks even hit that mark.

You need a min off $500K to make it worth investing in individual dividend stocks (call it 20 stocks as per Buffet) to make 4%. Below that, invest in a low cost dividend ETF like Schwab or Vanguard, prob nets you around 3%. An extra 1% off of $35K is only $350 a year. Is it worth $30 a month to substantially increase risking losing your principal? 

I'm moving in a month to Bangkok. I have someone house sitting for a while and paying the heating bill. Next year, we'll store some stuff at Grandma's house and rent out our place furnished.

The last few times I went over to SEA for months, I brought a tea strainer and mini-kettle, cheap probiotics, ear plugs, Astroglide, decent sheets and a couple of pillows I know I like.

Sheets and pillows are always polyester misery there, and worth the little bit of suitcase weight for that extra bit of $100 a month in-room comfort. It was the same in Mexico. A hot climate demands proper sheets. And a decent towel.

Us stocks are low yield

Sell everything,  Plan out about 8-10 months ahead. 

Start with a clean sheet, don't be a hoarder.

Live conscience free, have some stash cash just in case you can't make it.

You don't want to be strapped with extra bills that are not benefitting you NOW.

------

• Like 1

Sell everything if you want to move away from home country
keeping anything even if you can afford the storage
will only have you still attached to your home country
and then you will have a headache or expense to sort it out
once you realised life is better elsewhere
Commit to the move, or you will be in 2 minds always

i would also suggest, just give items to friends or family
if you can afford to not sell them
you never know when you may need a favor

Edited by patman30

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Dying of boredom in oz. No culture here.

But I thought you're just interested in "beer and sex" while keeping slim & fit by whacking bushes. Is there none in Australia?

Maybe go into archeology. All kinds of exciting discoveries being made all the time in Oz. Read this recently:

Ancient Aboriginal technology unearthed in rare bone discovery on Ngarrindjeri country

Key points:

• An ancient bone artefact has been discovered on Ngarrindjeri country in SA
    It's a rare find as the last bone discovery in the Lower Murray River Gorge was over 40 years ago

Researchers say it builds a bigger picture of Aboriginal tools

--https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-17/rare-bone-find-uncovers-ancient-aboriginal-technology/13252236

And have you explored these cultural attractions? Surely must be more; in fact we find our cultured, highly educated, highly intelligent Thailand expats complaining about the lack of such here:

Cultural Attractions of Australia

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But I thought you're just interested in "beer and sex" while keeping slim & fit by whacking bushes. Is there none in Australia?

Maybe go into archeology. All kinds of exciting discoveries being made all the time in Oz. Read this recently:

Ancient Aboriginal technology unearthed in rare bone discovery on Ngarrindjeri country

Key points:

• An ancient bone artefact has been discovered on Ngarrindjeri country in SA
    It's a rare find as the last bone discovery in the Lower Murray River Gorge was over 40 years ago

Researchers say it builds a bigger picture of Aboriginal tools

--https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-17/rare-bone-find-uncovers-ancient-aboriginal-technology/13252236

And have you explored these cultural attractions? Surely must be more; in fact we find our cultured, highly educated, highly intelligent Thailand expats complaining about the lack of such here:

Cultural Attractions of Australia

Thailand has dinosaur bones

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Flat battery. I had a car sit for 12 mths before.

I dont need furniture i think. Can sell it. Tools are useful.

Car rego costs though. Hard choice. 

Importing a vehicle, heavy import tax, (may be higher than vehicle is worth as "they" set the value) furniture dead weight, tools will sprout legs and walk away or returned broken. Bring yourself and clothes for a stay, to find out if you really want to live here. Enjoy yourself.

Done this myself, also keep a cash stash for unexpected custom fines, if you will. I paid my duty and taxes at shipper and still got nailed for 30K at Bkk.

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thailand has dinosaur bones

But dinosaurs had no culture, whereas, contrary to popular Oz opinion, the Aborigines did and still do--what's left of it. I'm not sure you've yet explored all that culture. Now you may of course find quite a few living dinosaurs among the expats here.

Note that you ignored my other question and points.  Why's that?

I might add that, among the lower orders of expats, one source of comforting racial pride is that Western countries have culture whereas Thailand doesn't. Not they've ever attended any real cultural events back home, mind you. Why not disillusion them by relating the interesting Thai cultural events you've attended and noticed to your great satisfaction? So much so that you're abandoning the cultural wasteland of Oz for the richness of Thailand?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But dinosaurs had no culture, whereas, contrary to popular Oz opinion, the Aborigines did and still do--what's left of it. I'm not sure you've yet explored all that culture. Now you may of course find quite a few living dinosaurs among the expats here.

Note that you ignored my other question and points.  Why's that?

I might add that, among the lower orders of expats, one source of comforting racial pride is that Western countries have culture whereas Thailand doesn't. Not they've ever attended any real cultural events back home, mind you. Why not disillusion them by relating the interesting Thai cultural events you've attended and noticed to your great satisfaction? So much so that you're abandoning the cultural wasteland of Oz for the richness of Thailand?

Been to Uluru, Darwin.

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Where do u live in Thailand?

Near the Lao border.

Fortunately we are able to travel a lot.

I'd prefer to be near the beach.

I'm happy, we've got a nice setup and wonderful children (at the moment).  

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

14 short trips.

Well, after reading or posting many things in here.. after your 14 short trips here.. if you still dont know or cannot decide what to do, my advice to you is stay away from thailand OR come and live for a while and decide.

There is no way you can give a important decision like this  by other people's suggestions.. everyone in this forum probably has different good and bad experiences about thailand. Which will be the same for you.

Just closing your eyes and sell or forget everything in your hometown and come here for living is a crazy idea. Dont do that, thats something you cannot go back and fix.

Im here for 17 yrs and still have a hpuse back in my country. My brother take cares of it. Although i started to think to rent it and use the money. But selling it, no. Still wouldnt dare to do that. Thailand is a country which wants foreigner money not the person self.

So just come here for a couples of years and see by yourself, experience it by yourself, live it and feel it. Dont listen others, listen to your heart after 2 3 years living here. All i can say is if you dont have a good income, thailand will be very difficult than you can imagine.

Good luck

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

What would u recommend i keep?

Give away and sell everything. It feels so good to lighten your load. It will be exciting. Be fearless and committed to your decisions. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I arrived here 35 years ago with a small bag, 2 trousers  2 shirts , underware , spare pair shoes, and a shortwave radio

I have nothing to add to this topic but I liked your note of a shortwave radio. I started traveling to rural agriculture regions of PR China in late 1980's and always brought a SONY shortwave radio with me. I used to say "California could have tumbled into the sea" and I wouldn't otherwise know about it without my SONY. (now discontinued)

icfsw20.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney

I think people are struggling through an Australian winter, cold, floods, having to go back to work for no good reason when you can work from home, inflation etc.

Though I can see the appeal of going I think your mind might be a bit too active too sit around in Chiang Mai, watching your capital deflate, living off its income which could be inconsistent.

I have a friend who went to Thailand about your age, left his business and sold up, had a low paying but fun job in Thailand and had a ball and 5 years later was in a bed sit back in Australia and a bit lost. I've mentioned it before. Can you cop being 55 and back in Australia in a bed sit. Or is it best to work hard now, put your investment ideas to work while the market is low, and look forward to life in Thailand a bit later and doing it the way you want to. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy