Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why?  You loose your home country citizenship and many would loose portions of pensions and SS.

In a nutshell, whingers always want the best of both worlds.

People should be careful what they wish for

Foreign tourists are charged a flat rate of RM10 (S$3.20) per night per room, while local tourists and permanent residents are exempted from paying the tax.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/5000-malaysia-hotels-so-far-have-started-collecting-tourism-tax-from-foreigners

4 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

That was my initial thought , there is no way the booking sites will play along with dual pricing. 

In countries where it is already officially implemented, you pay a separate charge at the hotel if you present a foreign passport at checkin.

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No. No they should not. If you want local treatment, get naturalized as a Thai citizen.

Why?  You loose your home country citizenship and many would loose portions of pensions and SS.

So pay 'full-fare' at the hotel or lose your citizenship, pension and SS?

That's a no-brainer, no?

• Confused 2

On 7/7/2022 at 6:29 AM, 2009 said:

Come to Thailand:

- Get ripped off on your hotel 

- Get ripped off by airport taxis

-Get ripped off by most other taxis in downtown areas

- Get ripped off to get into everything tourism attraction

- Get hassled in the streets and on the beach by lowlifes 

- See how we have polluted our part of the Earth

-Appreciate our casual racism

- Be unable to swim in our water

- Consume our overpriced low quality goods 

- Enjoy the cheap oil, MSG, and sugar in everything

-Risk life and limb on our roads

- Be robbed blind by a pack of rabid monkeys on an island

- Pay more for our pisswater beer than you do in your home country for a decent pint

-Don't worry. To make it all better we have stinky foul-mouthed hookers lined up on the streets for you. That's what you are here for 

- Don't forget to stroke our ego by telling us how good Thailand is

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm beginning to see a trend here.

Don't quote me on this but I hear there's apps to help people find airports and one-way flights out of here?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly, the one country cited by another poster, Malaysia, they do charge a tourist tax but not if you are a foreigner based in Malaysia and have a Permanent Residence card through being married to a local, or work permit etc

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PB172111 said:
14 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

I won't put up with this dual pricing BS anymore.

No way. They take that decision and I'm out.

Period.

That’s twice you have said this…why are you still here

Isn't it obvious? He's staying at the Hotel California.

On 7/7/2022 at 7:04 AM, DjSilver said:

Another Thai racist idea. More people should skip Thailand altogether. Less coming than during the plandemic is the best way to go.

Great idea. Please, PLEASE don't come.

And all you that are here, don't like it and moan about it, please, PLEASE go home.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In a nutshell, whingers always want the best of both worlds.

People should be careful what they wish for

Foreign tourists are charged a flat rate of RM10 (S$3.20) per night per room, while local tourists and permanent residents are exempted from paying the tax.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/5000-malaysia-hotels-so-far-have-started-collecting-tourism-tax-from-foreigners

That's about 560 baht a week on the bill.

Interested to know posters views on it being too much or an ok add-on.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

That's about 560 baht a week on the bill.

Interested to know posters views on it being too much or an ok add-on.

Those are Malaysia's hotel rules and regulations and they've never been a problem for me on my business and personal visits, ie. doesn't stop me going there.

Does that make me a Malay apologist as well? If yes, where's my prize?

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Those are Malaysia's hotel rules and regulations and they've never been a problem for me on my business and personal visits, ie. doesn't stop me going there.

Does that make me a Malay apologist as well? If yes, where's my prize?

Next time in Penang you get a free curry in Kashmir. ????

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

If tourists pay more, as you are saying, why does my wife pay the same as me for everything in UK?

Yes, but you went to find her in Thailand. UK couldn’t do it for you. We got to live with limitations, they just differ from country to country. Thailand discriminates against foreigners, UK discriminates against single men. Or they do not, it all depends how you look at it.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You're the one watching CNN International, not me.

When did I say I watch CNN. I do not get CNN on cable tv.

OK, you're the one who mentioned CNN International.

Now that you advise that you don't watch CNN International, I have no idea why you mentioned it.

26 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Yes, but you went to find her in Thailand. UK couldn’t do it for you. We got to live with limitations, they just differ from country to country. Thailand discriminates against foreigners, UK discriminates against single men. Or they do not, it all depends how you look at it.

You got serious problems.

I came here to work, unlike you I didn't come looking for women, you can do that anywhere.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

OK, you're the one who mentioned CNN International.

Now that you advise that you don't watch CNN International, I have no idea why you mentioned it.

Why would you need to know why I mentioned it.  

On 7/7/2022 at 6:37 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand the country who only wants well heeled tourists. Time for the peasants to rise up and take the country back.  If it wants dual pricing on hotels what's next, dual pricing for everything you purchase in 7-11 and so on.  Way to go.

Honestly this country must be broke.

So they want well heeled tourists paying top dollar for sub premium service rubbing shoulders at the buffet with people who lack table manners and get to stay in the same hotel rooms for less, that’s going to be a success I’m sure. Sounds like those in government just want to mix with well heeled foreigners but don’t have finances to do so. I for one would never use a premium resort in Thailand anymore than one in Europe, I like freedom to eat what I want when I want, and not be restricted to one menu. Just my choice, I don’t need a business Center or a gym/sauna anymore at 60, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goatfarmer said:
7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think you misunderstand the term 'click bait' (which can get you suspended from posting on this site by the way - read the rules). The report is based on what someone said. The fact that what is proposed hasn't a chance in hell of being implemented - as the government does not control hotel room rates - doesn't mean it is click bait. It means the person who proposed it is an idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.  

Expand  

A delightful True Scotsman argument.

Btw, I see nothing in the rules about misunderstandings getting one suspended. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Have a nice day.

Have you replied to the wrong post? I have no idea about any Scotsman, nor did I mention any rules about misunderstandings. I wrote that saying an article is click bait is against the rules of this site and can get you a suspension from posting. But I'll let Admin deal with you if they feel fit. I'm just telling you what might happen.

Have a nice day.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:56 AM, Captain Monday said:

Great idea, but call it a local discount. Not another racist dual pricing scheme disguised as fair  nationalism Foreign visitors are visa exempt or have tourist visas. Thais are Thais.

Persons with PR, Non-O(a) , work permits, and student visa, etc. should be afforded the discount tariff.

Thailand Elite is a program "to attract  wealthy foreigners" maybe they should pay more.

If you have a wife, partner etc who is Thai let them book it in their name.

Play them at their own game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm beginning to see a trend here.

Don't quote me on this but I hear there's apps to help people find airports and one-way flights out of here?

Interesting point.

I wonder how many RETURN tourists there are? Except from sex tourists, of course.

I am able to avoid most things on my list by not going to tourist areas, driving my own car etc. etc.

• Like 1