Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

7 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Discriminating against foreigners + rigging the free market economy.

If the do that, I will boycott the country and leave for another SE asian country.

I'm getting tired of that dual price BS.

Fxck'em.

Bye bye ….????

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why don't they just mind their own business and look at how best they can increase tourist numbers and leave the hotels to decide what they should charge, Jesus, do these clowns have to try and control everything, not that it effects me as I will have the wife book the hotel in her name (Thai).

Same here, I think the hotel owners and companies are smart enough to know when they can raise rates

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Looks like a lot of guys married to Thai women will have to have the Thai wives make the hotel bookings when they go somewhere in country.  

SOP for last 20 yrs.  

Goes with shopping out of the chain (priced) vendors.   I'll walk 10 meters in front, if actually shopping, and call her, to by something I saw.  Or ask price, then I'll come back.

I don't buy things at markets, unless I already know the Thai price.  Not that I do a lot of 'unpriced' shopping anyway.  Most things I know anyway.  Or I'll simply lurk till a Thai buy, then notice how much they paid and point to the same.  Hard to scam when I just saw you make a sale.

Kind of weird, and sad, you have to adopt these shopping techniques, to the point it's normal and come natural.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes you are correct. It will be like.... but you don't understand us blah bl;ah. Like Thai democracy.  We do understand you and know what dual pricing is. We disagree and see it as a complete injustice. You can see why many joke and call it 'Lieland'. The sad thing it is often so true.

It was a microsleep that produced this proposal, or was it the brakes failed....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Such heated discussion. Personally i never cared about dual pricing. Tourists are charged more everywhere no matter if the dual price is in plain view or implied, it is what it is. What will hold me back is mandatory vaccination or pcr test requirement and mask wearing. I might choose Vietnam instead. As for dual pricing, no big deal.

Entirely up to you if you are happy to be ripped off and discriminated against. Most people, though, think differently.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Discriminating against foreigners + rigging the free market economy.

If the do that, I will boycott the country and leave for another SE asian country.

I'm getting tired of that dual price BS.

Fxck'em.

Don't get your nickers in a not. It's just hot air. They can't pervert the market. It has a will of its own.

• Like 1

usually standard business practices are: if one wants to increase sales on anything one will lower prices thus attracting more potential buyers, Thailand is the opposite of the standard business practices, to attract more people they just raise prices.... wonder what type of pills the guy in charge has been taking

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

dual-tariff structure under which foreign visitors may be charged rates similar to pre-pandemic days while locals may continue to enjoy discounted rates.

That's ok but they will now/and they do already Charge more then Pre-pandemic rates .

Great click bait. Remarkable how many punters, ignorant of basic market principles, fell for it. There is no way this is going to happen. The market is too free and the hoteliers are too clever to implement such a silly scheme.

One wonders how much damage this would do.

Firstly to actual tourist numbers but secondly to Thailand's reputation.

They could be the pariah of the world tourist industry.

Most hotels in Thailand resort areas are set up to welcome foreigners - Thai holidaymakers are a minot=r part of their custom so how would this system work.

The minister should resign.

17 minutes ago, goatfarmer said:

Great click bait. Remarkable how many punters, ignorant of basic market principles, fell for it. There is no way this is going to happen. The market is too free and the hoteliers are too clever to implement such a silly scheme.

It doesn't matter if Hotels don't follow his idiotic comments, damage is done as it's now in the World press that Thailand is racist

• Like 2

A return to pre-pandemic rates hmm ...

Welcome to a lot, most, of the rest of the world (the western world anyway).

The discounts have been nice but to return to a charging and service level pre-pandemic and a return to such 'normal' proposed rates for foreign tourists isn't a surprise to me. I read here, others seem to think differently.

The summer of desperation and begging for clients is ending and a return to the 'normal' is nigh.

What Thai's charge less well-healed Thai's don't bother me in the slightest.

I can also think that supporting Thai's to partake of domestic tourism is good for the post-pandemic lockdown, hardship experienced Thai's, and darn good for the wellness of Thai people which in turn flows on to our tourism provision so on that front to keep lower 'pandemic' prices for them sounds like a good thing.

I/we always get great rates when travelling around in LOS as an expat and with 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' so I got no issue.

Am happy for those who see this as a terrible afront to them and further proof of horrible Thai racism and that they get to stuff this in their pipes and smoke this news furiously ????????

Edited by Tropposurfer

33 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Their greed is so gross and subhuman. That’s why they’re considered a 3rd world country 

I just reported you to immigration for defamation. Goodbye.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Thailand, you don't deserve any visitors. I hope people bypass the country if this is how they plan to roll. 

Thailand tourism will he on a triple bypass operation soon...

This is why the military cant run countries(be4 you say they arent all the top honchos are ex) they have no idea of market values, just the I ordered you to do that.

But having said that this really does take the cake, you cant dream up stuff like this, well a normal person cant.

3 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm,….. what a diabolically clever idea, increase hotel prices for foreign tourists to increase foreign tourism. It could only happen in Thailand I suspect?

Oh, yawn. Five star tourists will only look at the price of their five star hotel room, compared to a comparable room in, say, Bali. They won't care, or even know, that a local can get the room at a discount. And, of course, if money is not a problem, they won't even care if hotels in Bali are cheaper -- if the over all ambience in Thailand is superior. No, five star hotel owners know their favorite customers -- and what the market can charge. If somehow this price is too high for the unwashed farang backpacker, ah, too bad. Their kind would not be appreciated in the pristine hallways of these well-appointed hotels, so thwarting their business is a plus in their business plan.

Ok, a little harsh. But the bottom line is: Hotels can, and should, charge what the market will bear (at least those hotels in which I own stock). The tourist researching vacation spots doesn't care, or know, that his price may be higher due to citizenship -- he only looks at, is the price reasonable and competitive. And this is not just for five star tourists -- the lesser starred tourists can also assess the competitiveness of where they can stay. And Thailand, even with local discounts, will remain competitive -- very much so, especially with the US$ at 36.2.

No, the apparent whiners on this thread are retirees here, many, apparently, not overly affluent. But, the one thing about being retired is being flexible with vacation plans. And hotels defninitely will have great deals,  if they know the periods of less occupancy. So, wheel and deal. Meanwhile, get over the fact that the government is sending a bone to its citizens. Unusual, I know -- ' cause most of the folks on this forum only complain about how the coup government scr...s. its citizens.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

This policy is directed towards "foreign tourists."

What about expats living in Thailand for long stay?

I guess we all know the answer to that already. I can wave my WP in their faces and speak Thai as much as I want, but they will reply like they always did: 'you farang, you pay price farang.'

A bunch of meddling Muppets.

Privately owned businesses will charge what they want, it's non of the government's business.

Do they tell a noodle seller how much he should charge for a bowl, no.

Hotels will charge rates that they feel people will be prepared to pay.

If they over price, they won't get any customers.

Simple supply and demand economics.

• Like 1