Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

If all they are talking about is putting prices back into line with what they were in 2019, is that not the same if the booking companies give all and everyone discounts like they did before?  I just stayed at the Sheraton Pranburi Villas for a few days.  When I looked at my Marriott account and pulled up the receipt from 3 years ago when I was there, I actually paid a little more this time.  Room Revenue Tax, Vat, Provincial Tax, and service charges all were a little higher this time.  I had never heard of Room Revenue before or been charged it, but I was this time.  Overall I paid about 3200 Thb more than 3 years ago.  Not an issue as I just equated it to operating costs.  Booked through Agoda as well and upon arrival gave them my Marriott Bonvoy card so the stay could be added to my folio.

If they are truly trying to make it dual pricing and double what I have been paying, well then, even though I could pay it, why would I want to give the Government the money instead of the resort.  Standby for Golf prices to Double.

24 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Oh, yawn. Five star tourists will only look at the price of their five star hotel room, compared to a comparable room in, say, Bali. They won't care, or even know, that a local can get the room at a discount. And, of course, if money is not a problem, they won't even care if hotels in Bali are cheaper -- if the over all ambience in Thailand is superior. No, five star hotel owners know their favorite customers -- and what the market can charge. If somehow this price is too high for the unwashed farang backpacker, ah, too bad. Their kind would not be appreciated in the pristine hallways of these well-appointed hotels, so thwarting their business is a plus in their business plan.

Ok, a little harsh. But the bottom line is: Hotels can, and should, charge what the market will bear (at least those hotels in which I own stock). The tourist researching vacation spots doesn't care, or know, that his price may be higher due to citizenship -- he only looks at, is the price reasonable and competitive. And this is not just for five star tourists -- the lesser starred tourists can also assess the competitiveness of where they can stay. And Thailand, even with local discounts, will remain competitive -- very much so, especially with the US$ at 36.2.

No, the apparent whiners on this thread are retirees here, many, apparently, not overly affluent. But, the one thing about being retired is being flexible with vacation plans. And hotels defninitely will have great deals,  if they know the periods of less occupancy. So, wheel and deal. Meanwhile, get over the fact that the government is sending a bone to its citizens. Unusual, I know -- ' cause most of the folks on this forum only complain about how the coup government scr...s. its citizens.

So according to you, hotels should charge a competitive market price to foreigners, which currently is around listed price -30%, and then do an extra discount to Thai customers (ex listed price -50%). What would be the hotel profitability and your stock value?

What about high season, when capacity is scarse and hotel make the most profits? Will the hotels refuse full-price reservations in order to keep rooms for discount customers? Or discriminate and serve foreigners first in order to maximize profits?

• Like 1

I have a better idea! ????

Let's have two currencies. One, called the peso, would be used only by locals, and foreigners would pay in dollars. The value of the peso would be a fraction of the dollar's value, but the price number would be the same: when foreigners pay 1 dollar, locals would pay one peso! ????????????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And they want to attract more visitors to the 'kingdom' ?

Pure genius ! ????????????.

The clowns in charge are delusional.

And desperate! There can be no other reason for this insane proposal!

I know I've made the comparison before, but can you imagine the furore if a Thai family went to book into The Savoy or the Dorchester (for instance) and found out that they were having to pay substantially more than Westerners?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, candide said:

So according to you, hotels should charge a competitive market price to foreigners, which currently is around listed price -30%, and then do an extra discount to Thai customers (ex listed price -50%). What would be the hotel profitability and your stock value?

What about high season, when capacity is scarse and hotel make the most profits? Will the hotels refuse full-price reservations in order to keep rooms for discount customers? Or discriminate and serve foreigners first in order to maximize profits?

"Or discriminate and serve foreigners first in order to maximize profits?"

I would say "all bets are off" on that one!

• Haha 1

I disagree with this implementation in Accomodation Industry .Instead of such racial measures I whould suggest to Thai Authorities to reduse additional 3% tax for Thai civilians. Dont forget that Airbnb is already in full operation across the world cities.It is wrong to impose additional indirect taxes on Hotels and this measure only applies to Europeans and Americans -Russians. I don't think it applies to Chinese and (xa-xa-xa) to Ukraines "girls".

Does he really think that tourist will come back this way?  Remember when bad knews has already travelled the world the good news still has to put its shoes on. This is doing more harm to Thailands Tourism then one can imagine. People do not mind paying for accomodation, but they do mind being treated differently because of where they come from.  Not a single country in te world is doing this. Bad, bad idea !

Stupidity is something one is born with. You can't learn being stupid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And they want to attract more visitors to the 'kingdom' ?

Pure genius ! ????????????.

The clowns in charge are delusional.

they can say goodbye to tourism.. imagine booking for Thailand after reading this ..rip off greed ..deserve what they get

3 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Does he really think that tourist will come back this way?  Remember when bad knews has already travelled the world the good news still has to put its shoes on. This is doing more harm to Thailands Tourism then one can imagine. People do not mind paying for accomodation, but they do mind being treated differently because of where they come from.  Not a single country in te world is doing this. Bad, bad idea !

true can't fix stupid

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 4:07 AM, Baron Samedi said:

Discriminating against foreigners + rigging the free market economy.

If the do that, I will boycott the country and leave for another SE asian country.

I'm getting tired of that dual price BS.

<deleted>'em.

I'm sure that you'll be greatly missed.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Last time in UK when we visited the local castle, .My wife enjoys the walk around and the history, the prices for entry on the board at the ticket office were 

Entry £x

Over 65's 30% discount.

Students 40% discount.

Children £1.

Would you call that double or whatever pricing?

Yes it is dual pricing, those in a certain age group are having to pay more.

Next time you visit Scotland or Wales every chance foreign nationals will be paying surcharge on accommodation.

When I went to Bali a couple of years ago, on checking into the hotel I was  presented with an additional bill for being a foreign national. Unlike Thailand the payment wasn't optional.

It is truly amazing the stupidity of those who purport to run this country, announcements of this nature show the total ignorance they have of the rest of the world. We have a war in Europe, and the after effects of Covid making a huge impact in the world. 

It is really sad that the ordinary people of Thailand are being led backwards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign tourists may soon find Thailand a more expensive destination than in the past two years with the country now planning to raise hotel rates to pre-pandemic levels to support a faster recovery of the industry.

Well that's just dandy... 

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Next time you visit Scotland or Wales every chance foreign nationals will be paying surcharge on accommodation.

When I went to Bali a couple of years ago, on checking into the hotel I was  presented with an additional bill for being a foreign national. Unlike Thailand the payment wasn't optional.

So if I book a cottage in Wales for two weeks 'self catering' and I pay for it in uk currency with a uk card they will charge me extra because my wife is Thai but grew up in NZ and how will they know that? It will be my name on the booking for 2 people.

Please explain???

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No it isn't. It's a discount for pensioners, (like the bus pass), a discount for students etc.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mike1967 said:

That'll work then!!! After 12 years of staying in Thailand and having been back in the UK since Covid kicked in....I know where I'll be staying now. Being away from Thailand has opened many people's eyes.

yes, there is more outside Thailand, a real world with the same or better opportunities. 

One has to wonder. The TAT gets a lot of state money to promote and stimulate tourism. For long-nosed foreigners there are already a lot of extra inflated prices:

- national parks

- Hospitals

- Museums

- some Temple

- zoos

- Muay Thai Stadiums

- some restaurants

- Massage salons

- hairdressers

- Etc.

And now a dual pricing system for hotels? The TAT actors no longer even notice what abysmal bad PR they are pouring out. A fodder for negative journalism about Thailand. The economic damage caused by tourists staying away will be greater than the potential gain from discrimination.

Edited by tomacht8

I wonder how it is going to work with all the web booking company's? If you book in thai you get cheaper?  My wife will book in her name. Or will the hotel say on arrival? No not that price you are ?????? Confusion and anger is what it will create. I for  have never visited a national park bcz of duel pricing and I'm sure there are thousands of others just like me. Am I the only one who remembers the talk of us all pulling together when covide first struck and the talk of scrapping the whole idea of it? Back to them and us!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I paid the same in Bali as my Balianese friend when we traveled to Bali from Phuket 4 years ago no price difference or surcharge. How many years ago was your experience 

https://emerhub.com/bali/living-in-bali-as-a-digital-nomad/

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, vinci said:

international news are starting to talk about this, it was a stupid idea to say or talk something like this, they could of just adjust the price back to normal and give thai voucher, instead babbling their mouth all over the news

Some people actually believe telling someone  'we know you are all rich and it is easy for you to pay' is a compliment.

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A premium travel destination they want a few days ago.. Now dual hotel pricing... Good forthe tourism.. If you are a foreigner you pay more than a Thai, for everything. Premium travel destination, with discrimination of all non Thais..Tourism must break down to the bottom or even deeper...and cry fool as nobody comes anymore......Stupid, or the stupidiest Government ever

Don't forget, This unelected PM and his soldiers have a mentality similar to the average Thai in the street. They are only running the country through the point of a gun.

This article is misleading and it sounds somebody wants to put their hands in foreign pocket.

IF hotels having problems to attract tourists, why would they charge more for foreigners to book in their hotels.

The reason that hotel prices are discounted because they cannot attract people to stay in their hotels. why would they want to be priced out by raising prices and go under.

Why does the government believes that hordes of people will be gushing into the gate of Thailand. The government said that they want Thailand to be an expensive place to visit. Well they are doing it.

They do not realize many main factors affecting travel : Inflation, cost of gas, war in the Ukraine, higher interest rate, and recession around the globe. 

people will be assessing travel cost not based on what happened in  2019 but on their current situation. they are will be looking on cutting cost.