Change from OA to O visa

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry at any land border crossing. You can only do 2 per calendar year.

The 30 day exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

• Like 2

I am also trying to go from OA to O…entered with a 30 day stamp, applied for O today…I have the required money in a Thai bank for many years and today they asked for a “ credit advice” from the bank wanting to see where my funds came from.  I brought the letter I’ve always used from the bank to renew my retirement visa and they wouldn’t accept it.  Anyone with this issue 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry at any land border crossing. You can only do 2 per calendar year.

The 30 day exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

If I go to Thailand with a Tourist Visa (M) and I overstay my Visa by a few days, can I get an extra 7 days for 1,900 Baths or is it better to do a border run and get 30 days?  If I do a border run to Laos for example, can I go across the border and come back the same day?  Thank you very much in advance for your always helpful information.

43 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

If I go to Thailand with a Tourist Visa (M) and I overstay my Visa by a few days, can I get an extra 7 days for 1,900 Baths or is it better to do a border run and get 30 days?  If I do a border run to Laos for example, can I go across the border and come back the same day?  Thank you very much in advance for your always helpful information.

Planning an overstay is never a good idea.

If you come on a tourist visa be aware that it can be extended by 30 days so 90 days in total.

To stay longer than then you would do a border bounce..

You could do it same day. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Planning an overstay is never a good idea.

If you come on a tourist visa be aware that it can be extended by 30 days so 90 days in total.

To stay longer than then you would do a border bounce..

You could do it same day. 

I didn’t really plan an overstay, I booked my flight early and I will be in Thailand for 6 months, I am going to apply for a Tourist Visa (M) which is good for 6 months but if it takes a couple of weeks to get it, I will need an extension somehow.  Another option would be to go to Thailand on my 30 days and during that time make an appointment in Vientienne for a Tourist Visa (M).  Do you think that it might be a better idea?  

13 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I didn’t really plan an overstay, I booked my flight early and I will be in Thailand for 6 months, I am going to apply for a Tourist Visa (M) which is good for 6 months but if it takes a couple of weeks to get it, I will need an extension somehow.  Another option would be to go to Thailand on my 30 days and during that time make an appointment in Vientienne for a Tourist Visa (M).  Do you think that it might be a better idea?  

Thinking best option is to obtain a tourist visa and arrive with that.

That gives you 60 day stamp.

(don't understand your statement about 6 months).

You then obtain 30 day extension. 

After that you could go to Vientiane (or similar) and obtain another setv reenter and obtain extension = 6 months.

OR .....

You could do two consecutive border bounces which would give you 3+2+2= 7months approx

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Or see an agent, friend of mine said the agent sorted it for him without leaving, no other reports though 

I stayed two years during the covid-19 by paying 15K to an agent. No insurance required. I also did not keep any money in the bank. 

16 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I stayed two years during the covid-19 by paying 15K to an agent. No insurance required. I also did not keep any money in the bank. 

Related to the OP, how exactly. 

40 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Another option would be to go to Thailand on my 30 days and during that time make an appointment in Vientienne for a Tourist Visa (M).

They will not issue a multiple entry tourist visa unless you are Laotian or a legal resident of Laos.

You will have to apply for it in your home country.

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not issue a multiple entry tourist visa unless you are Laotian or a legal resident of Laos.

You will have to apply for it in your home country.

I am in Canada right now, I am going to Thailand 12 Oct 22-12 April 23.  I can apply for a Tourist Visa (M) (EVisa) at the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, but because it takes a few working days to process, I will overstay my Visa.  That is why I was wondering if I could do a border run, get 30 days, this way I will not be overstaying.

4 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I am in Canada right now, I am going to Thailand 12 Oct 22-12 April 23.  I can apply for a Tourist Visa (M) (EVisa) at the Thai Embassy in Ottawa, but because it takes a few working days to process, I will overstay my Visa.  That is why I was wondering if I could do a border run, get 30 days, this way I will not be overstaying.

How would be on a overstay if you are in Canada? I don't understand what you wrote.

If you got a multiple entry tourist visa you could extend each 60 day entry for 30 days. You can get almost 270 days of total stay from it by doing a border hop for new 60 day entry just before it expires.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry by doing a border hop.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How would be on a overstay if you are in Canada? I don't understand what you wrote.

If you got a multiple entry tourist visa you could extend each 60 day entry for 30 days. You can get almost 270 days of total stay from it by doing a border hop for new 60 day entry just before it expires.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry by doing a border hop.

What I meant is by the time I get my Visa before my departure, a few days will be gone and the Tourist Visa (M) is good for 6 months and from the time I depart and the time I come back it 182 days.  But I will do as you mentioned, before my Visa expires, I will do a border hop.  Do I have to stay overnight or just go across and come back the same day?

32 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

What I meant is by the time I get my Visa before my departure, a few days will be gone and the Tourist Visa (M) is good for 6 months and from the time I depart and the time I come back it 182 days. 

Your visa will be valid to to enter the country for 6 months from the day it issued by the embassy or consulate. Each entry will be for 60 days.

You will have to leave the country before the 60 days or the 30 day extension of it ends.

32 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

But I will do as you mentioned, before my Visa expires, I will do a border hop.  Do I have to stay overnight or just go across and come back the same day?

You can cross a border and then turn around and return to Thailand.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I guess he means he had an OA but didn't need to leave so using an agent is an option

Your post also was off topic..

The OP asked nothing about use of agent.

BTW outline how an agent can kill off a non O-A and obtain a non O in country. ...

Your post re agents stated this ....

"Or see an agent, friend of mine said the agent sorted it for him without leaving, no other reports though"....

I pay no attention to "friend of mine..." Posts.

Which agent can do what what you outline. 

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your post also was off topic..

The OP asked nothing about use of agent.

BTW outline how an agent can kill off a non O-A and obtain a non O in country. ...

Your post re agents stated this ....

"Or see an agent, friend of mine said the agent sorted it for him without leaving, no other reports though"....

I pay no attention to "friend of mine..." Posts.

Which agent can do what what you outline. 

No need to be off topic phobic, it's very relevant as it gives people the option of going to the agent, otherwise they may think they have to leave Thailand. As to how agents and Immigration do it, I don't know, maybe go ask them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

it's very relevant as it gives people the option of going to the agent, otherwise they may think they have to leave Thailand

They must leave Thailand as that's the only way to kill off a non O-A as step 1 to obtaining a non O.

An agent cannot do that.

Please post contradiction to that fact with name of agent that can. 

10+ years ago there were scam agents that did border bounce with clients passport. 

Not now. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

They must leave Thailand as that's the only way to kill off a non O-A as step 1 to obtaining a non O.

An agent cannot do that.

Please post contradiction to that fact with name of agent that can. 

10+ years ago there were scam agents that did border bounce with clients passport. 

Not now. 

No didn't leave Thailand, didn't need insurance, well known Pattaya agent,anyone interested can go investigate

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Related to the OP, how exactly. 

If OP is not able to read between the lines and need explanation for everything, I pity him. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No didn't leave Thailand, didn't need insurance, well known Pattaya agent,anyone interested can go investigate

Maybe the agent arranged a trip for his passport to another country to get a departure stamp and new arrival stamp.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe the agent arranged a trip for his passport to another country to get a departure stamp and new arrival stamp.

Many agents can do O-A extensions without insurance and some will charge an extra 2,500 baht. No need to leave the country, enter again and then convert to O and eventually get an extension. 

Edited by Onerak

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not aware of any agents providing that service in recent years.

It certainly would not be a normal service provided and I am sure nobody is advertising it.

I can recall a member that informed me by PM a few years ago of what was done to clear a long overstay to get around a long ban from entering Thailand that cost him 50k baht.

The agent had him get a new passport from his embassy. Then it made a trip by air to Kuala Lumpur to get a entry stamp there. Then it traveled to a border crossing where it entered Thailand. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

Your visa will be valid to to enter the country for 6 months from the day it issued by the embassy or consulate. Each entry will be for 60 days.

You will have to leave the country before the 60 days or the 30 day extension of it ends.

You can cross a border and then turn around and return to Thailand.

Thank you very much for your help.  Greatly appreciated.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:35 PM, ericg1953 said:

I am also trying to go from OA to O…entered with a 30 day stamp, applied for O today…I have the required money in a Thai bank for many years and today they asked for a “ credit advice” from the bank wanting to see where my funds came from.  I brought the letter I’ve always used from the bank to renew my retirement visa and they wouldn’t accept it.  Anyone with this issue 

I hope to change from a type-OA to a Type-O in October this year, and this is a concern of mine. 

I've had the 800K required amount in a Bangkok Bank fixed account since 2019 (when it was brought into Thailand from abroad via another Bangkok Bank account) and that 800K has subsequently been accepted for my Type-OA extensions.

I recently opened a separate 800K account with Krungsri, and when I apply for the Type-O (after leaving and returning to Thailand in October Visa Exempt) I hope to use the 800K Krungsri account.

But proving it came from abroad would have a bit of a complex paper trail (as the funds came from abroad to Bangkok Bank and then to Krungsri bank).  I also still have the old original 800K still in a Bangkok Bank fixed account (which immigration accepted for the Type-OA extensions), which I plan to keep until the 800K Krungsri account amount is accepted.

Of course my worry is neither will be accepted and worst case I would have to bring yet another 800K into Thailand from abroad in a hurry.  Something I prefer not to do.

I have my fingers crossed here.

Edited by oldcpu

7 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I also still have the old original 800K still in a Bangkok Bank fixed account (which immigration accepted for the Type-OA extensions)

Couldn't you wait until you finally have the one year extension (about three months after exempt entry) without touching the "old" Bangkok Bank account?

Yesterday I applied at Khon Kaen for the Non-O after having done Non-OA extensions for years (border run two days before).

I used the same account lying since many years and no questions asked.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1