Change from OA to O visa

6 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I recently opened a separate 800K account with Krungsri, and when I apply for the Type-O (after leaving and returning to Thailand Visa Exempt) I hope to use the 800K Krungsri account.

A fall back position is to obtain non O retirement at place such as Vientiane.

There in no need to show origin of funds in bank.

Then in Thailand for 12 month extension there is no requirement to show funds from abroad. 

I would go to your particular immigration office and ask what they require regarding your current 800k

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Of course my worry is neither will be accepted and worst case I would have to bring yet another 800K into Thailand from abroad in a hurry.  Something I prefer not to do.

Normally immigration will waive the transferred from abroad proof if you have had the funds in a Thai bank for a long time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Couldn't you wait until you finally have the one year extension (about three months after exempt entry) without touching the "old" Bangkok Bank account?

That's my plan.  I am fortunate that I can open a new 800K Thai Baht account (in Krungsri) without touching the older existing fixed account (with 800K) in Bangkok Bank.

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yesterday I applied at Khon Kaen for the Non-O after having done Non-OA extensions for years (border run two days before).

I used the same account lying since many years and no questions asked.

Great !! Thanks for sharing that.  That is encouraging.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A fall back position is to obtain non O retirement at place such as Vientiane.

Thanks. That's an interesting option - although I hope to avoid such , as there are places (in Thailand) I wish to be after I return Visa-Exempt in October - I prefer to avoid a side trip to Vientiane - but its good to have such as a fall back.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I would go to your particular immigration office and ask what they require regarding your current 800k

I've been pondering if I will do this, but whether they say yes or no, will it change my approach?  I don't think it will.

If immigration say "no problem" then I don't have to do anything. 

And if immigration say there IS a problem (and I need to bring 800K in), then as soon as I arrive back in Thailand in October, I simply transfer the foreign equivalent of another 800K THB into Thailand.  I prefer not to do that, but I would rather transfer another 800K THB than a side trip to Vientiane.  I think I can do that transfer (if told needed) in a few days or less so I can have the money in time.  Hence in this "problem" case, where I can still transfer more money to Thailand, I don't fully understand the need for an early visit to immigration.

I just don't like the idea of putting more money into Thailand (into Thai Baht) than necessary.  Perhaps if the Thai Baht was weaker, then I would not mind as much the transfer (buying a weak Thai baht in such a case).

I am incredibly lucky I have many options - and fortunate to be able to monitor this forum , receive feedback, and have my various options planned, such that however "the cards play out" I can adopt an appropriate approach.

I appreciate the feedback/comments.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 7:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

Did you show them proof the money had been in the bank for a long time? Most will do it since the only reason for proof it came from abroad is due to it only needing to be in the bank on the day you apply.

Try again and ask to talk to a supervisor.

Yes…I went in with the bank letter and a history of the money being in the account for years…they wanted lots of other unnecessary documentation as well. Seemed ridiculous but I was able to comply and will now apply for my 1 year permission to stay next week.  Having the money in the bank seemed the least important to them of all the requirements that I easily met