SMS abroad with TrueMove

Gaccha

This is a perennial problem for travel outside Thailand. 

To use services (such as banking), an SMS confirmation is often needed. Strictly speaking, the banking SMS are not actually SMS, but that's probably not important. 

There seems few alternatives if I want to use the TrueMove SIM abroad:

1. Have banking and other Apps switch off SMS verification before International travel. This used to be an option 5+ years back but appears to be unavailable for my Thai banks now. 

2. Use VoWifi (voice over wifi). This is known to work with other sevices such as AIS.  TrueMove doesn't appear to have this option in its packages. 

3. Get SMS to foreign country. Not available in any packages for other SE Asian countries on TrueMove App. 

And that's it... Has anyone figured this out?... Thanks 

Solved!

You have to register with True to use VoWifi. Takes about 5 seconds.

I then put my phone on Flightmode with "Wifi calling" activated and had a friend send an SMS from Cambodia. And it worked. And he got my response SMS with the same function. 

So all good. Now I can get banking SMS anywhere on Earth with Truemove and a Wifi signal. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Solved!

You have to register with True to use VoWifi. Takes about 5 seconds.

I then put my phone on Flightmode with "Wifi calling" activated and had a friend send an SMS from Cambodia. And it worked. And he got my response SMS with the same function. 

So all good. Now I can get banking SMS anywhere on Earth with Truemove and a Wifi signal. 

Thanks for providing the solution. I have had TrueMove H pre-pay for 5 years. Before a recent trip to U.K. I used their instant messaging service asking this same question. They enabled International Roaming and also suggested paying 3 baht per month to keep my number active without having to top-up. My 'phone automatically picked up Vodaphone network in U.K. I had already turned off Mobile Data and don't answer any calls (I get hardly any). OTP's from Bangkok Bank come through fine and my credit balance hasn't reduced. Your solution sounds simpler. Can you send SMS for free as well as receive? 

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for providing the solution. I have had TrueMove H pre-pay for 5 years. Before a recent trip to U.K. I used their instant messaging service asking this same question. They enabled International Roaming and also suggested paying 3 baht per month to keep my number active without having to top-up. My 'phone automatically picked up Vodaphone network in U.K. I had already turned off Mobile Data and don't answer any calls (I get hardly any). OTP's from Bangkok Bank come through fine and my credit balance hasn't reduced. Your solution sounds simpler. Can you send SMS for free as well as receive? 

To activate VoWifi requires you are present in Thailand, but only for the initial activation to-- ironically-- receive an SMS. 

I then think the SMS sent and received will depend on whatever cost in the normal plan you have set up with TrueMove. TrueMove groups plans by Voice, Data, SMS and MMS. 

With international roaming it might and might not work in each country. Part of the problem is a lack of consistency in carrier protocols.

The VoWifi will simply require a WiFi connection of any sort. TrueMove then piggybacks off that WiFi signal (a home, a cafe, a hotel etc) to send the SMS. It avoids relying on foreign networks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

To activate VoWifi requires you are present in Thailand, but only for the initial activation to-- ironically-- receive an SMS. 

I then think the SMS sent and received will depend on whatever cost in the normal plan you have set up with TrueMove. TrueMove groups plans by Voice, Data, SMS and MMS. 

With international roaming it might and might not work in each country. Part of the problem is a lack of consistency in carrier protocols.

The VoWifi will simply require a WiFi connection of any sort. TrueMove then piggybacks off that WiFi signal (a home, a cafe, a hotel etc) to send the SMS. It avoids relying on foreign networks.

Very clear explanation. Thank you for your time and trouble.

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

"...and also suggested paying 3 baht per month to keep my number active without having to top-up."

Did True cs activate the ability to pay 3 THB/month to keep your # activated?

Also - Did you have a topup balance, and they just pull 3 THB/month from it?

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

"...and also suggested paying 3 baht per month to keep my number active without having to top-up."

Did True cs activate the ability to pay 3 THB/month to keep your # activated?

Also - Did you have a topup balance, and they just pull 3 THB/month from it?

Hi Jimmy! The customer service person suggested two months at 3 baht per month and I agreed. I have a couple of hundred baht credit balance always rolling forward. They activated that for me and the 6 baht was automatically deducted from my credit balance. 

• Thanks 1