10Mbps unlimited internet seems too slow for watching any news clip or football game

steven100

I am using AIS unlimited internet  10mbps ....  200B/ month  

however,  I've noticed it is useless for watching any news clip or short video or any football game as it keeps buffering alot of the time.

Someone mentioned here before about  1500 baht /  yr    20mbps   100GB/mth   ?     not sure if it was with AIS or DTAC,   and could I keep my same mobile number if I changed   ??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Do you have a dual SIM mobile (with a free slot)?

Much less headache.

yes ...  2SIM supports 3G/4G all networks 

so I can buy a  30Mbps 100GB / month   and still use my original number for receiving or making calls.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so I can buy a  30Mbps 100GB / month   and still use my original number for receiving or making calls.

Yes. You will not notice a difference after the setup for SIM1/SIM2 is done.

Just checked again: youtube and a paid TV subscription work fine with 15 Mbps.

Even with the DTAC signal being weak at home.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

I am using AIS unlimited internet  10mbps ....  200B/ month  

however,  I've noticed it is useless for watching any news clip or short video or any football game as it keeps buffering alot of the time.

Someone mentioned here before about  1500 baht /  yr    20mbps   100GB/mth   ?     not sure if it was with AIS or DTAC,   and could I keep my same mobile number if I changed   ??

10 Mbps is good enough. Chances are you aren't receiving 10 Mbps in the first place.

Don't bother using Speedtest as suggested, use https://testmy.net

Little point in buying a higher speed rated SIM from the same network, if the network cannot offer you 10 Mbps in the first place. Though that would be unusual for AIS.

So start with the speed test. 

Edited by Bruno123
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ...  2SIM supports 3G/4G all networks 

What's this 30 Mbps 100GB/month thing? Did you make it up?

Anything above 2 Mbps should be enough for live videos in 720p, and 10 Mbps is more than enough for 4K videos.

What is the signal quality?

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

it keeps buffering alot of the time.

Try a different browser or video player.

Or try to lower the video quality to 1080p if you are watching in 4K.

• Like 2

*777*70# will do for testing. Gives you 100MB in volume for 9.63 baht.

*777*7022# gives 600MB for 21.40 baht. You can use that for a speed test and also to check if the buffering still takes place with a 'full speed' pack.

• Like 1

10 mbps is not enough for 4k...there are a lot of different "4k"s out there in terms of signal compression and how much bandwidth you'd need for a smooth experience but most streaming services would recommend at least 15 mbps, closer to 25 mbps to be playable with some. For higher quality 4k you could reach ~80 mbps average bitrates and ~200 mbps peaks.

OP you're on a mobile network so there are a lot of different factors. If you're high up in a building, far away from the cell tower, there are obstructions between you and the tower, or this tower is congested...all can affect your quality. If you're then converting that mobile signal to wifi there are other issues too. Sometimes simply increasing the bandwidth package you're subscribed to can fix the problem but sometimes not depending on the issue. You can do speedtests with local devices to determine some of that or I think if you just contact AIS support you could buy a one day "boost" or maybe even get it for free if you explain the situation and test it to see if it's suitable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

10 mbps is not enough for 4k...there are a lot of different "4k"s out there in terms of signal compression and how much bandwidth you'd need for a smooth experience but most streaming services would recommend at least 15 mbps, closer to 25 mbps to be playable with some. For higher quality 4k you could reach ~80 mbps average bitrates and ~200 mbps peaks.

OP you're on a mobile network so there are a lot of different factors. If you're high up in a building, far away from the cell tower, there are obstructions between you and the tower, or this tower is congested...all can affect your quality. If you're then converting that mobile signal to wifi there are other issues too. Sometimes simply increasing the bandwidth package you're subscribed to can fix the problem but sometimes not depending on the issue. You can do speedtests with local devices to determine some of that or I think if you just contact AIS support you could buy a one day "boost" or maybe even get it for free if you explain the situation and test it to see if it's suitable.

I doubt if the OP is streaming news and football matches in 4K anyway.

Increasing the bandwidth package won't make a difference if the bandwidth isn't available in his location in the first place.

Speed tests firstly; current and with a one day full speed pack. No need to contact AIS support for that.

Then the OP can tell us exactly what equipment is in use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, Bruno123 said:

I doubt if the OP is streaming news and football matches in 4K anyway.

Increasing the bandwidth package won't make a difference if the bandwidth isn't available in his location in the first place.

Speed tests firstly; current and with a one day full speed pack. No need to contact AIS support for that.

Then the OP can tell us exactly what equipment is in use.

image.png.6e04ac4397b76cc9856d8c462a45264c.png

Latency :

image.png.d24c87c15d74e8104fb14d49e84ee21c.png

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

image.png.6e04ac4397b76cc9856d8c462a45264c.png

Latency :

image.png.d24c87c15d74e8104fb14d49e84ee21c.png

You missed out the Download test(which is the most important in your case). You are showing Upload.

Chosse Test My Internet and then Combined Test.

Is this with the existing 10 Mbps pack or have you added a full speed day pack in order to determine the maximum bandwidth available with your equipment at your location?

On 7/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, CharlieH said:

Just for info, I have a 100GB per month and I pay 1600baht  a YEAR for it. Just for info, may be worth getting one and use it in the vacant slot.Then no worries about existing number.

Just a suggestion, most networks have those annual sim deals.

Who is your deal with?

Edited by The Hammer2021

If you have good reception with DTAC, they also have a 30 Mbps option, for approx. 1700.

Also worth a mention if you have good LTE Band 40 reception at home, is https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813

A mere 999 baht for 12 months. Though really only an alternative for Internet in one place, as opposed to being mobile.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You missed out the Download test(which is the most important in your case). You are showing Upload.

Chosse Test My Internet and then Combined Test.

Is this with the existing 10 Mbps pack or have you added a full speed day pack in order to determine the maximum bandwidth available with your equipment at your location?

This is the test with my 10Mbps existing pack .....  AIS

image.png.9465b9fb440e648698f3dd7d8ca0ab4f.png

Internet speeds offered are the speed maximums you can get WITHIN THAILAND. If you stream, it usually comes from abroad, hence even the best packages sometimes getting issues. 

They never detail what the speeds to abroad are, my best guess is that this is very slow and poorly for cheaper packages.

Had bad experiences with True sim too, until i started paying 1K+ a month, it suddenly worked fine in the same area.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

If you have good reception with DTAC, they also have a 30 Mbps option, for approx. 1700.

Also worth a mention if you have good LTE Band 40 reception at home, is https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813

A mere 999 baht for 12 months. Though really only an alternative for Internet in one place, as opposed to being mobile.

What about this one Bruno   .....    6 months /   599 baht  ?  

comment in the reviews :  Used on the building's 4th floor in the community area. NT mobile will release the download pipe higher than the upload already. Usually runs DL 20-40 Mbps UL around 5-8 Mpbs. Anyone who focuses on uploading may not be suitable. Relatively save mobile battery because it has only one wave Mobile phones do not have to find other waves. Open hotspot all day, the device is not hot. Overall very good value for doing WFH.

image.png.6a801e7e81871a255e84e3e3e132bd48.png

Edited by steven100

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This is the test with my 10Mbps existing pack .....  AIS

image.png.9465b9fb440e648698f3dd7d8ca0ab4f.png

This is a good time to test your device's streaming ability again; now we can see that the speed is currently up to par.

First with a reliable site such as YouTube. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_YU0HWFzo4

Click on the small cog in the bottom right hand corner of the video in order to select the quality of the video you want YouTube to serve you. 1080p should play smoothly.

What equipment are you using to watch/play the media?

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

What about this one Bruno   .....    6 months /   599 baht  ?  

comment in the reviews :  Used on the building's 4th floor in the community area. NT mobile will release the download pipe higher than the upload already. Usually runs DL 20-40 Mbps UL around 5-8 Mpbs. Anyone who focuses on uploading may not be suitable. Relatively save mobile battery because it has only one wave Mobile phones do not have to find other waves. Open hotspot all day, the device is not hot. Overall very good value for doing WFH.

image.png.6a801e7e81871a255e84e3e3e132bd48.png

I mentioned it earlier. It's ONLY for those who know they have good LTE Band 40 reception at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

What equipment are you using to watch/play the media?

Just using my All-in-one PC  connected via my mobile - USB lead. 

It mainly buffers when I try to watch a series on 123movies  ...