Western size helmets?

ThaiDuck2

Just got back from the shop trying on their biggest size--XXL and too small.

Anyone know of a shop that has western size helmets?  Looking at 3,000 to 5,000 baht range.  Bangkok or Pattaya.

Edited by ThaiDuck2
added locations

24 minutes ago, Xonax said:

The brand "Real" has good helmets in that price range, that will fit even the biggest farang head.

In my experience Real helmets vary though, some seem like Thai size, some like Farang size, so you might have two Real helmets in size L, but one is bigger than the other. Same for Index helmets.

Bilmola (another Thai brand) is more consistent with their sizing.

In any case, always try a helmet on before buying to make sure it fits properly.

18 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Are you guys saying the motorcycle shops stock helmets in size that substantiate Thai people have smaller cranial capacity 

Depends on the brand I find the same thing size wise with many products, shoes for example. 

46 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Are you guys saying the motorcycle shops stock helmets in size that substantiate Thai people have smaller cranial capacity 

Yes Thais are smaller and the manufacturers adapt their size scale to it. Not only helmets, but also clothes, shoes, etc.

Thai products are usually a size smaller than "western" products. If a manufacturer is consistent that's no big deal, but especially with helmets they are often not consistent, for example Index has some models where a size L fits me, but size XXL of another model might be too small for me.

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Yes Thais are smaller and the manufacturers adapt their size scale to it. Not only helmets, but also clothes, shoes, etc.

Thai products are usually a size smaller than "western" products. If a manufacturer is consistent that's no big deal, but especially with helmets they are often not consistent, for example Index has some models where a size L fits me, but size XXL of another model might be too small for me.

The asian head shape is different to farang, from memory it's more round so even if you buy the correct size it may not fit properly which i found out when i bought a cycle helmet

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The asian head shape is different to farang, from memory it's more round so even if you buy the correct size it may not fit properly which i found out when i bought a cycle helmet

Even westerner heads are at different shapes that's why some helmet manufacturers do different shaped insides.

Round or oblong. 

My UK bought Caberg has a oblong inside that fits me good, my H2C helmet I bought here is round inside but XL fits my head good I just had pack it out at the sides to make a snug fit. ????

• Like 2

I went to Tesco Lotus ,they had three shelves full and only one fit and it was pink. Some people get a chuckle out of it but I don't mind as it's very visible and that may make the difference some time of been seen or not. Also I saw the Chiang Mai football team all dressed in pink so I guess pink has different connotations here.

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, Hummin said:

What is the purpose of use? Short shopping rides, or hours touring? 

If hours touring, make sure you try your helmet first. 

https://www.paddock.co.th

Yes, Paddock have a good range from mid to premium price, and you can try them on to find one that fits properly.  I bought an HJC a few years ago from Paddock, and just replaced it with an O'Neil.

The staff seem to be a rather miserable bunch of 'senior' ladies who know nothing about bikes, and their prices are high, but for helmets or boots you really need to try them on.

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes, Paddock have a good range from mid to premium price, and you can try them on to find one that fits properly.  I bought an HJC a few years ago from Paddock, and just replaced it with an O'Neil.

The staff seem to be a rather miserable bunch of 'senior' ladies who know nothing about bikes, and their prices are high, but for helmets or boots you really need to try them on.

First time we went there, we turned around and went to Panda Rider, and I bought complete goretex two piece suit, boots, gloves, helmet and more accessories to my gf, so they missed out on that one. But I believe they really do not care much, since their customers seems to be quite wealthy Thai riders who can afford their prices on high end gear and equipment. 

Later followed Paddock on FB, and they have some really good sales quite often, and seem to have what you need in stock when you need it. But their service in shop, sucks indeed

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 4:34 PM, Elkski said:

No, we're saying the sizing is different, I was in a shop the other day and some of the helmets has stickers on them saying 'Asian Fit'