Eight crew members killed in Ukraine cargo plane crash in northern Greece

Scott

Eight crew members killed in Ukraine cargo plane crash in northern Greece

Debris is seen at the crash site of an Antonov An-12 cargo plane owned by a Ukrainian company, near Kavala, Greece, July 17, 2022. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis reuters_tickers

This content was published on July 17, 2022 - 15:01

ATHENS (Reuters) -A Ukrainian cargo plane carrying munitions from Serbia to Bangladesh crashed in northern Greece late on Saturday, killing all eight crew members on board, Greek and Serbian authorities said on Sunday.

Witnesses said the aircraft had come down in a ball of flames near the city of Kavala before exploding on impact in corn fields around midnight local time. Earlier the pilot had reported engine trouble and had requested an emergency landing.

Drone images from the scene showed smouldering debris from the Antonov An-12 aircraft strewn across fields.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/eight-crew-members-killed-in-ukraine-cargo-plane-crash-in-northern-greece/47758702

SWI swissinfo.ch Logo Vector - (.SVG + .PNG) - GetLogoVector.Com

“Serbian Defence Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic said the plane had been carrying 11.5 tonnes of products, including mortar and training shells, made by its defence industry. The buyer of the cargo was the defence ministry of Bangladesh, he added.

Confirming that account, Denys Bogdanovych, Meridian's general director, said the crash had no relation to the war currently raging in Ukraine “

Really? 

OK, if you say so…

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“Serbian Defence Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic said the plane had been carrying 11.5 tonnes of products, including mortar and training shells, made by its defence industry. The buyer of the cargo was the defence ministry of Bangladesh, he added.

Confirming that account, Denys Bogdanovych, Meridian's general director, said the crash had no relation to the war currently raging in Ukraine “

Really? 

OK, if you say so…

Whilst I understand your cynicism, Greece is certainly not "en route" from Serbia to the Ukraine, and whilst Serbia may not be averse to hiring Ukraine aircraft to deliver to Bangladesh, I suspect that the strong residual Russian influence there would stop them producing munitions for Ukraine long before it got to the stage of loading them onto aircraft.

Edited by herfiehandbag

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Whilst I understand your cynicism, Greece is certainly not "en route" from Serbia to the Ukraine, and whilst Serbia may not be averse to hiring Ukraine aircraft to deliver to Bangladesh, I suspect that the strong residual Russian influence there would stop them producing munitions for Ukraine long before it got to the stage of loading them onto aircraft.

As I said, if that’s the story, then ok, but it just seems a little odd.

I agree Russia and Serbia have had a bond in the past, WW1 being partially started because of such, so them supplying Ukraine seems out of kilter some how. 

However- it’s a new age and it seems a bit odd, that’s all. . 

It couldn't possibly have been on its way to Poland to pick up more "munitions" for Ukraine, sorry, Bangladesh under contract to NATO, like previous flights. No, definitely not. ????

Edited by JetsetBkk
Remove bold text