Re-subscribing to Aetna after 1.5 year lapse

wpcoe

I had lived full-time in Thailand from 2001 until February 2020 when I left on a one-way ticket to Mexico, where I have lived full-time since.

I'm rethinking my life plans and considering splitting time 50/50 between living in Mexico and Thailand.

I had an Aetna (previously BUPA) health insurance plan for 15+ years before I left in 2020.  I maintained the policy for one more year but then decided not to renew.

If I return to Thailand and want to get the another Aetna policy am I screwed for any/all pre-existing conditions?  If so, would those pre-existing conditions be excluded from coverage permanently, or only, say, for one year?

I believe you would most likely be treated the same as a brand-new applicant and any pre-existing conditions would be excluded.

Whether the exclusions would be for a finite period of time or permanent would depend upon the conditions in question and Aetna's underwriting guidelines.

Use a good broker to help you navigate this issue or explore alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Etaoin Shrdlu Thanks.  That's what I was assuming, but sometimes that eternal trickle of hope can work.  Not this time, it seems.

I'm planning a visit next Jan-Mar and will check it out when I'm there.

Diphaya insurance allowed me to renew my covid policy over a month the previous expired and gave me some 20% discount for not claiming. It cost them 50k to cover my omicron hospitalisation (they suppose to pay not only medical bill, but also room charges up to 100k).  
start corresponding with aetna now, the sooner the better picture you will have and more options to chose.  
some insurers might exclude pre-existing after 2 year of joining. You can ask them now direct question. 

@internationalism Thanks.  I do want to be in dialog with Aetna before I re-start (part-year) residency in Thailand.  At this time, I wanted to see what expectations I should have, and ideally, have someone chime in who has actually done it.

I'm planning a 60-day Thailand visit starting in January 2023 and will talk to Aetna directly then.  I probably would restart residency in the autumn of 2023.  (Don't want to have a retirement extension renewal date in high season again!)  I have permanent residency in Mexico so I can come & go with ease here.

(Somehow that posted before I was ready....)

If I can determine from Aetna that some/most/all of the pre-existing conditions would be excluded only for one year, I might start the policy in January 2023 so that the one-year period ends sooner.

14 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

(Somehow that posted before I was ready....)

If I can determine from Aetna that some/most/all of the pre-existing conditions would be excluded only for one year, I might start the policy in January 2023 so that the one-year period ends sooner.

The only way to find that out would be to apply.

But I am doubtful

Even when there is a time limit on an exclusion it is typically at least 5 years.

As other poster said, you should consult a good broker. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Even when there is a time limit on an exclusion it is typically at least 5 years.

Shoot.  Undoubtedly you're correct.  I don't know where I got that one-year exclusion idea from.

In any case my recommendation would be not get an international expat policy. I suggest you go through a broker, explain the nature of your pre-existing conditions, and get their advise.  Thai insurers tend to be more extreme in what they consider a "pre-existing" condition ad the exclusions they apply.  International insurers are more nuanced and have qualified medical people helping to assess applications.  For example - say you had had an appendectomy or gall bladder removal. An international insurer would likely not apply an exclusions for such things. A Thai insurer might.  Of course, for something like heart disease or diabetes, any insurer, Thai or international will have an issue with that. But international insurers are more likely to offer options like a higher premium, or exclusion, while Thai insurers often just refuse to insure.

Another thing you could consider, depending in how much you expect to travel vs being continuously in Thailand, would be to get a travel insurance policy. Some of these will cover "acute exacerbations" of pre-existing conditions. This only makes sense if you will be returning to your home country t least once a year and would also be prepared to go back there for treatment if necessary as, with travel insurance, the insurer has the option of paying for treatment abroad or paying to bring you back "home".

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, Sheryl said:

On 7/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, wpcoe said:

Shoot.  Undoubtedly you're correct.  I don't know where I got that one-year exclusion idea from.

I remembered where I got the idea the exclusions would be for one year:

When I upgraded my Aetna policy from ฿1 million to ฿2 million, there was an accompanying document excluding items for one year being covered to the ฿2 million limit. During that year they would be covered up to the old ฿1 million level.  I was surprised at the time that lots of older issues I had had treated were not excluded at all at the higher level, just certain ones.

When I do return to Thailand – currently planned for a 2-month visit early next year – you'll probably see me here asking for insurance broker recommendations. ????

@Sheryl Thanks for all the solid advice in the post above this one.

My "home" country is currently Mexico, and my Mexican health insurance policy does have a repatriation provision.  I need to read up on what it covers and how it applies.

BTW (i.e. off-topic), one thing I miss from Thailand is the medical records-keeping in hospitals.  At least at BNH in Bangkok and B-PH in Pattaya, the doctors that practice there put their medical files on some hospital-hosted system so that any other doctor can access them.  I always thought that was an excellent system:  if I'm brought in unconscious and can't answer their questions about allergies, meds, conditions, etc, they have the info at their fingertips.  Here in Mexico, even if a doctor practices out of a hospital office, there is no such central patient record.  Each doctor only has a chart with their own entries.

keep some your medical info in your wallet, as well as info about hospitals you were already treated in and which would have detailed health files.

Some hospitals now do online registration and booking appointments. You have also access to your records.

You can input there by yourself all your medical history. 

https://www.gj.mahidol.ac.th/main/

for almost a year there is a national health database, with many hundred private hospitals already joined it. You have to download an application and give there permission to share your info.

See bankok post article "NT, GBDi join hands to launch national healthcare database".

also less optimistic

also 

Edited by internationalism