Curtain Raiser – Censure may damage Prayut’s image ahead of polls, unlikely to bring govt. down

webfact

image.jpeg

By Erich Parpart

Today is the start of the fourth and final censure motion against the government of 2014 coup leader and incumbent Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha, and the hopes that this no-confidence debate would bring down the government is nothing but hopes and dreams of those opposed to this government.

The government lead by the Palang Pracharath party continues to enjoy a comfortable majority in the parliament and whispers of possible horse trading that continues to circulate in the corridors of the newly built parliament on the banks of Chaophaya river would help ensure that the government of Prayut will sail through this no-confidence debate.

Even the opposition has basically given up its hopes of possibly toppling the government and that is the reason why it did not target a few key ministers but instead took on to censure as many as 11 ministers in the cabinet of 35 ministers.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/41904/curtain-raiser-censure-may-damage-image-of-prayut-ahead-of-polls-but-unlikely-to-bring-him-down/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

12 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Well duhhhhh! Who controls the tanks and guns!

The influential ones?

The real controllers.

Remember the real reason why the military exist. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Censure may damage Prayut’s image

The only image of Prayut that many people have, is a treasonous man who got rid of a democratically elected government by way of an illegal coup !

I'm not going to say you're wrong re the illegal coup, but I believe that every rewritten Thai constitution over the last 80 years or so has had a provision in it that actually makes military coups legal. As I said I'm not saying you're wrong or that I'm right, just expressing what I understand the situation to be.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I'm not going to say you're wrong re the illegal coup, but I believe that every rewritten Thai constitution over the last 80 years or so has had a provision in it that actually makes military coups legal. As I said I'm not saying you're wrong or that I'm right, just expressing what I understand the situation to be.

I think you are wrong. Constitutions have provisions on coups being illegal. In fact Supreme Court have in the past ruled that junta seizure of government by staging coup was illegal but was legimate when it can maintain the peace of the country without being resisted. Coups also went unpunished due to the protection afforded by the amnesty law after each coup. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I think you are wrong. Constitutions have provisions on coups being illegal. In fact Supreme Court have in the past ruled that junta seizure of government by staging coup was illegal but was legimate when it can maintain the peace of the country without being resisted. Coups also went unpunished due to the protection afforded by the amnesty law after each coup. 

Uh-huh....

They always find a way, don't they?

As the twisted interpretation of the beloved, and ever changing to fit their agenda, constitution is usually mangled to benefit the ruling elite. 

Been ongoing for decades.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The government lead by the Palang Pracharath party continues to enjoy a comfortable majority in the parliament and whispers of possible horse trading that continues to circulate in the corridors of the newly built parliament on the banks of Chaophaya river would help ensure that the government of Prayut will sail through this no-confidence debate.

:coffee1: