Big crowd at Immigration today.

giddyup

On 7/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, giddyup said:

Had to do my yearly retirement renewal, so got there at 9.45 and was let in at 11.15 so a 90 minute queue. What makes no sense is that there was no one waiting at the retirement counter, so not sure what the other 100 or so people were there for. Fortunately I got seen to immediately and was out the door by 11.25 otherwise I would have had to wait while they lunched from 11.30 until 1.00. Surely they could make some kind of system where you queue in an appropriate line rather than make you wait unecessarily, or does that make too much sense?

I was also there on Tuesday. Lunch is 12:00, not 11:30, but there was a huge crowd still waiting outside the front door at 11:55, when I left there. I suppose they had to wait outside for an hour until after lunch. It was expected after the 3-day closure last week.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:00 AM, Henryford said:

It must vary a lot then. I did my annual extension a couple of weeks ago. No queue at all, got to the retirement desk and was out again within 15 minutes. I just walked in the exit doot to pick up my passport the next day.

The week before, from Wed to Friday (13 - 15) the immigration office was closed. That's the reason for an extra big crowd.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, giddyup said:

Fortunately I only need to visit Immigration once a year now as I do my 90 day checks online. However, I did notice a booth for 90 days outside of Immigration, so maybe there's no need to queue for that.

You hand your passport to the ladies at the reporting desk in the carpark, then take a seat and wait until they return with your passport... so you are waiting, if not queuing.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, ikke1959 said:

Immigration is a burden for expats and tourists.. They feel that they are superior and that the expat is nothing. That is why they treat is this way.. Look at the airport.. Nobody smiles, hardly speak English as you have to learn the Thai language( in their minds), changing paperwork all the time, let you wait after lunchbreak to go to the toilet, play on the telephone, take some coffee and than they start working at 13.30 instead of 13.00.. There is a lot to improve.. They could start with scanning your papers in a digital file and stop ask all the same papers over and over again...

It was this way for 10 years of diy until I starting using the VIP expidited service. Now they smile like cheshire cats whenever I do my yearly extension. I have never seen immigration officers so friendly. They are so friendly it almost feels uncomfortable. I don't even need to queue. I was in and out in 5 minutes on Tuesday and they even did my reporting (due 25 July) for me and they told me not to queue next time I need to report, but come and see them directly.

There is a very coherent queuing system at Jomtien  immigration with a dedicated desk area for each area of administration with a matching number system. After the long weekend and office closures I guessed the first two days would be rammed so I went Thursday at 3pm when it was  very quiet with very fast service. Just brilliant  compared the UK Government  services which currently are not really working. It's such a pleasant change and a relief  getting things done here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I was also there on Tuesday. Lunch is 12:00, not 11:30, but there was a huge crowd still waiting outside the front door at 11:55, when I left there. I suppose they had to wait outside for an hour until after lunch. It was expected after the 3-day closure last week.

I think lunch is at 11.30, and take a nap starts at 12.....not official like. 

I have been allowed in before 1pm on a few occasions. 

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think lunch is at 11.30, and take a nap starts at 12.....not official like. 

I have been allowed in before 1pm on a few occasions. 

It is clearly posted that lunch hours are 11.30 until 1.00, so JensenZ is wrong.

• Like 1