Anutin challenged for decriminalisation of cannabis ahead of appropriate legislation

snoop1130

17 hours ago, mark131v said:

Anutin the gift that keeps giving, he is a glowing example of all his ilk, a dim over privileged <deleted> who is too thick and arrogant to understand his own incompetence, unfortunately the government and senate is full of clown's just like him...

They all fit in nicely together.

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you actually read the article it also gives sources with real studies and statistics that informs those opinions

This is what you quoted: 

Heavy marijuana use among youths is leading to more addiction and antisocial behavior.

There is nothing in the article or any of the agenda-laden sources she quotes that I can find to back up the claim.  I'm just not sure it is very compelling to back up your opinion with someone else's opinion, especially when they have a clear agenda.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slip said:

This is what you quoted: 

There is nothing in the article or any of the agenda-laden sources she quotes that I can find to back up the claim.  I'm just not sure it is very compelling to back up your opinion with someone else's opinion, especially when they have a clear agenda.

Thats your opinion,  but the article as I said cites sources and studies:

"But can pot make people violent? A study last year found that young people with mood disorders such as depression who also smoke weed are 3.2 times more likely to self-harm and die from murder – often after starting violence – than those who didn’t. A meta-analysis found that the risk of engaging in violence was more than twice as high among young adults who used marijuana. It is possible that marijuana can trigger dangerous behaviors in adolescents who are absent for other reasons, such as B. prenatal drug exposure, are predisposed to it."

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I have no issue with someone partaking in consuming weed in private - but this idiot is trying to get a country addicted, a government promoting this is very careless and will not end well, the medical use excuse has been abandoned - they need to get control of this now before it gets out of control otherwise the basket case ratio in Thailand will rocket, weed has long lasting well documented mental side effects when abused

Nobody gets addicted from weed and mental issues are much more caused by alcohol and other drugs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are they even covering this? It’s already legal. They couldn’t go back now if they wanted to it would cause  mass civil unrest. It’s great for the Thai economy and it is good for health. Whenever I make edibles for my Thai in-laws they even tell me how it reduces drinking in their family. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

An interesting story is that the one thing that most of the mass shooters in the U S was heavy use of marijuana.

thats a very ambiguous statement.
do you have links to credible sources?

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thats your opinion,  but the article as I said cites sources and studies:

"But can pot make people violent? A study last year found that young people with mood disorders such as depression who also smoke weed are 3.2 times more likely to self-harm and die from murder – often after starting violence – than those who didn’t. A meta-analysis found that the risk of engaging in violence was more than twice as high among young adults who used marijuana. It is possible that marijuana can trigger dangerous behaviors in adolescents who are absent for other reasons, such as B. prenatal drug exposure, are predisposed to it."

Well, yes, as it says "it is possible".  Not really very compelling.  There is a lot of this sort of language in it.  I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just saying that I don't find her article necessarily particularly convincing.  Here are some other quotes:

"It could be a coincidence", "It’s much easier for young people to get hooked. One in 6 people who start using pot while under 18 will develop an addiction" (uncited in the linked source), "Researchers have yet to prove a causal relationship", "It’s possible that pot can trigger dangerous behavior", "legalization seems to be leading to more pregnant women using pot."  (The linked study actually seems to compare pre and post-covid use as opposed to increases following legalisation which happened in 1996 (medical) or 2016 (recreational).  

7 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

He admitted that he was duped when he was told by Anutin in parliament that decriminalisation was intended for medical and industrial purposes, when, in fact, they were not.

That was my understanding and under 0.2% THC content ... which is difficult for domestic growers to control I would imagine ... leaving it potentially wide open to fines or bribes when they don't and a nice consortium to process, control and manipulate things ... much like happens with rice.

Wrong! pay close attention to the actual wording "cannabis extracts that contain more than 0.2% THC" 

4 minutes ago, Slip said:

Well, yes, as it says "it is possible".  Not really very compelling.  There is a lot of this sort of language in it.  I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just saying that I don't find her article necessarily particularly convincing.  Here are some other quotes:

"It could be a coincidence", "It’s much easier for young people to get hooked. One in 6 people who start using pot while under 18 will develop an addiction" (uncited in the linked source), "Researchers have yet to prove a causal relationship", "It’s possible that pot can trigger dangerous behavior", "legalization seems to be leading to more pregnant women using pot."  (The linked study actually seems to compare pre and post-covid use as opposed to increases following legalisation which happened in 1996 (medical) or 2016 (recreational).  

Well you stated off saying that this was an opinion piece only, I referred you to the article that yes indeed it is but one based on sources and studies, now your verging on another debate on whether you find a study credible.

Here is the source and its a meta analysis which is one of the best, plus peer reviewed:

A Review of Cases of Marijuana and Violence

Whether you are convinced or not is immaterial to me.

1 hour ago, fuehrio said:

Nobody gets addicted from weed and mental issues are much more caused by alcohol and other drugs

Brother of a friend I worked with in BP offices in uk ended up with severe mental problems after continual heavy use of cannabis. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well you stated off saying that this was an opinion piece only, I referred you to the article that yes indeed it is but one based on sources and studies, now your verging on another debate on whether you find a study credible.

Here is the source and its a meta analysis which is one of the best, plus peer reviewed:

A Review of Cases of Marijuana and Violence

Whether you are convinced or not is immaterial to me.

Then why bother to post it in the first place?  Anyway whether you care or not if your arguments and evidence are convincing isn't really the point.  I should perhaps have explained better that this article is an opinion piece with the main idea that "Heavy marijuana use among youths is leading to more addiction and antisocial behavior". 

As interesting as some of the details in the article may be, there is no evidence in the article to support your bolded section of the text, and scant little to support the second except perhaps in a very specific subset of people already suffering mental illness problems. 

The poster you were replying to was making the case that there is no evidence that marijuana is addictive, which is presumably why you bolded that phrase.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slip said:

Then why bother to post it in the first place?  Anyway whether you care or not if your arguments and evidence are convincing isn't really the point.  I should perhaps have explained better that this article is an opinion piece with the main idea that "Heavy marijuana use among youths is leading to more addiction and antisocial behavior". 

As interesting as some of the details in the article may be, there is no evidence in the article to support your bolded section of the text, and scant little to support the second except perhaps in a very specific subset of people already suffering mental illness problems. 

The poster you were replying to was making the case that there is no evidence that marijuana is addictive, which is presumably why you bolded that phrase.

Should I have also posted this then? Apologies

Approximately 1 in 10 people who use marijuana will become addicted. When they start before age 18, the rate of addiction rises to 1 in 6.

https://www.samhsa.gov/marijuana

• Sad 1

The Ghost of Cannabis Past is haunting this thread..

He has been here all day.. Observation.

He won't stay quiet.. Observation.

Anutin is being questioned by the Opposition.. that's their job. Topic.

Edited by bobbin

1 minute ago, SoilSpoil said:

As you can easily buy a kilogram of 19% THC Thai weed online, for less than 5000 baht mind you, it's pretty obvious that this whole Cannabis policy is a big farce. This can only go wrong. Smoking a joint is lovely, if legal, but having whole bricks to your possession will turn a lot of people in living zombies. It should have been regulated before opening up.

What you can buy for 5000 Baht a kg is not 19%..

Of course, A-nut-in is going to make a mint off of legal dope. This govt only got two things right (besides gorging at the public trough): Covid vaccine supply & legal weed.

It's a shallow blow for Pheu Thai to criticise the good stuff. For once, this "govt" (I use the term loosely) really is giving (@ 600/gm) happiness back to the Thai people.

There's lots to criticise, particularly military expenditures, pollution aso.

19 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

How would you know? Whether it's 10%, 18.99, 20% or whatever percentage, point is that for 1 kilogram of weed is just plain nuts and recipe for disaster. 

Gives you an idea of who is buying it. Most of them would get high on a french Gauloises.

Edited by overherebc

29 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

How would you know? Whether it's 10%, 18.99, 20% or whatever percentage, point is that for 1 kilogram of weed is just plain nuts and recipe for disaster. 

Only if you lit the whole kilo on fire and pulled a blanket over your head and the burning pot!

Why do they sell beer in 12 packs.. spirits in .75/26 oz.. etc.

You either have a tenuous grasp on the concept of bulk purchasing, or you are being disingenuous.

13 hours ago, inThailand said:

The cat is already out of the bag. 

Every farmer is already growing ganja. There is going to be a lot of weed here soon. They have jumped on the bangwagon for its going to be a cash cow. And cash is King here. 

Yeah, sure. If every farmer were (and of course every farmer is not)  growing marijuana it would be a very cheap substance to procure and would be about worthless to the government in terms of tax revenues.  Cash cow?  I can imagine weed at the morning market about 500 baht a kilo. 

2 hours ago, bobbin said:

Only if you lit the whole kilo on fire and pulled a blanket over your head and the burning pot!

Why do they sell beer in 12 packs.. spirits in .75/26 oz.. etc.

You either have a tenuous grasp on the concept of bulk purchasing, or you are being disingenuous.

I think you have no idea about the addictive nature of smoking cannabis. Loads of people start smoking first thing in the morning and smoke easily 10 or more joints throughout the day, totally zoned out and deprived of any form of motivation or ambition. You would think it's not rocket science to understand that those who purchase a kilogram of weed, will smoke significantly more than those who buy a couple of grams to wind down. Your bulk purchasing comment and comparison to beer is hilarious. I take it is meant as sarcastic.

18 hours ago, wombat said:

thats a very ambiguous statement.
do you have links to credible sources?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ingraham-angle-united-states-of-fear  4.29

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/well/mind/teens-thc-cannabis.html

https://ojjdp.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xyckuh176/files/pubs/drugid/ration-03.html

Take it for what it is worth.

You also add in 

School under fire after student caught selling cannabis    

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2350053/school-under-fire-after-student-caught-selling-cannabis

People growing for their own use is not an issue.

Most countries regulate who can legally sell and who can not.

The big issue here to me is that students that still do not know what sex really is, that have access to alcohol,  school gangs and have never been taught responsibility for their actions

11 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I think you have no idea about the addictive nature of smoking cannabis. Loads of people start smoking first thing in the morning and smoke easily 10 or more joints throughout the day, totally zoned out and deprived of any form of motivation or ambition. You would think it's not rocket science to understand that those who purchase a kilogram of weed, will smoke significantly more than those who buy a couple of grams to wind down. Your bulk purchasing comment and comparison to beer is hilarious. I take it is meant as sarcastic.

Give it a rest with your "facts" please

• Thanks 1

How can it be decimalizes when you put limits on the THC percentage. Either is all legal or its not who would know ?  what form is escapable compressed weed resin oil ? according  to what i see anything goes at this present time. As for medical use that's been going for ages maybe not Thailand but other country's for MS etc. Not THC but another chemical from the plant reduces epileptic fits