Conversion of 30 day visa exempt stamp to Non O and then retirement extension

My apologies in advance if this question has been asked a million times.

I have about 23 days left on my current 30 day stamp obtained at the airport. I now have well in excess of 800,000 baht in my Thai bank, but I just wired that money there within the past few days.

Is it still possible, given my circumstances, to apply for a Non Immigrant O visa either in the next few days or during a subsequent 30 day extension?  And once that is granted and once my money has been in the bank for at least two months, further apply for an extension based on retirement?

I did all this myself once upon a time, but that was years ago. If need be, I’ll hire an agent, but I’m not sure I need one. Then again, maybe I do.

Edited by jas007

1 hour ago, jas007 said:

s it still possible, given my circumstances, to apply for a Non Immigrant O visa either in the next few days or during a subsequent 30 day extension

It's possible to obtain the non O given number of days remaining on your permit.

When you obtain the non O, that gives you a 90 day permission of stay.

In the last 30 days of that permit you can obtain your 12 month extension with funds having been in bank for 2 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply now for the non-o visa. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

You will need proof the 800k baht was transferred from abroad.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Phuket immigration does not require proof that the 800 K is from abroad.

I read the pdf that Ubon posted.  the last item said Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

How can one have a past three month record of stay if just arrived in country on a Visa exempt method?  This is exactly how I plan to enter Thailand later this year and then convert to non Imm O, reasons of retirement extension, etc.

OK.  I edit my post to see that one gets a 90 day permission to stay and then they get the full retirement extension.  I was confused! So there is that extra step in there/  Thanks

Edited by gk10012001

I just went through this process and suggested you apply for the Non-O as soon as possible.  It took a couple of weeks in my case and I was told by the visa service that all Non-O paperwork goes to Bangkok and they must approve.  After approving they notify local offices who then can sign the visa stamp into your passport.  The subsequent extension based on retirement can be done locally and should be quicker.  Not sure why they have the extra oversight on Non-O but I expect it is a more important decision with extra documentation.  

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply now for the non-o visa. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

You will need proof the 800k baht was transferred from abroad.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Not looking to split hairs here but rather seeking your thought. I will be using the monthly income method as I switch from "O-A" Visa (already using income method for over a decade)  through the needed steps to gain an "O" Visa within Thailand. Thus, I need to demonstrate a total of 800,000 has been brought in from abroad over a year's time. So, not 65,000 baht a month but 66,666 baht a month? It will not be an issue for the total of 800,000 but monthly amount, in this case is not required to be at least 66,666 baht each month?

7 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Not looking to split hairs here but rather seeking your thought. I will be using the monthly income method as I switch from "O-A" Visa (already using income method for over a decade)  through the needed steps to gain an "O" Visa within Thailand. Thus, I need to demonstrate a total of 800,000 has been brought in from abroad over a year's time. So, not 65,000 baht a month but 66,666 baht a month? It will not be an issue for the total of 800,000 but monthly amount, in this case is not required to be at least 66,666 baht each month?

The info I posted is to apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Immigration will not accept transfers from abroad to apply for the non-o visa. They will only accept proof of income from a embassy to do it.

If applying for a extension of stay you only need to provide proof of at least 65k baht income transferred from abroad for 12 months.

• Like 1