Long traffic delays at Dover ferry port are fault of Brexit, claim French

onthedarkside

Just now, placeholder said:

Do you understand that for most of the last two and half years covid greatly depressed the tourist business?

Yes, I do . 

France should have prepared themselves for the influx , they were told to expect more arrivals , but they didn't get themselves prepared for the more arrivals 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Why don't you post a coherent counter argument rather than simply stick your head in the sand, and pretend that something which doesn't fit your narrative doesn't exist (when it is clearly plain to see)?

I do not use Latin very often.

And QED is an argument? It wasn't your post anyway. 

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

"But now French officials have to stamp passports and carry out a number of checks including:

• checking the identity page
  • checking the traveller hasn't been to the EU for more than 90 days in the last 180 days
  • checking if you have at least 3 months left on your passport
  • checking that your passport is issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country
  • checking the traveller has a return ticket
  • checking proof of insurance for your trip
  • asking whether the traveller has enough money to stay

Checking each person can take up to a minute, rather than a few seconds, transport expert Simon Calder told BBC Breakfast."

https://www.bbc.com/news/62294901

And all of the above will be redundant  under ETIAS

ETIAS – European Travel Information and Authorisation System

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I found a link which reports that 2 extra booths are being installed. An additional 5 were previously held to be necessary. So that's a shortfall of 3.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2022-07-20/port-of-dover-installs-more-border-control-booths-in-attempt-to-reduce-delays

Those new booths are on the Dover side !!!!!!!

The delays are on the French side .

Dover is in the U.K 

Calais  is in France

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I do . 

France should have prepared themselves for the influx , they were told to expect more arrivals , but they didn't get themselves prepared for the more arrivals 

Then why did you raise the point that for the last two and a half years there was no problem? And as I pointed out Dover requested 5 additional booths. Didn't get them. And no, it's not the responsibility of France to build infrastructure in the UK. The port of Dover wanted this for its own benefit. Not to benefit France.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I found a link which reports that 2 extra booths are being installed. An additional 5 were previously held to be necessary. So that's a shortfall of 3.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2022-07-20/port-of-dover-installs-more-border-control-booths-in-attempt-to-reduce-delays

Its quite normal when a business is asking for someone else to fund their business operation to request more than what it actually required

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Even if it has happened, which is not at all clear, the original request was to up the booths from 5 to 10. A 50% increase wouldn't amount to 10 booths.

You do understand this link is from the Port of Dover themselves not some media outlet

https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/port-of-dover-introduces-new-measures-to-get-summ/13686/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Its quite normal when a business is asking for someone else to fund their business operation to request more than what it actually required

And yet we are told that delays are due to the increased number of checks required because of Brexit. But to your way of thinking, more booths wouldn't help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Then why did you raise the point that for the last two and a half years there was no problem. 

I raised the point that there were no previous problems with the Calais passport check points in the previous 2 and half years since Brexit .

Calais now has a problem , Calais hasnt had a problem in the 2.5 years since Brexit . 

Yes, I know now more people are travelling , but Calais should have prepared themselves for the influx

You do understand this link is from the Port of Dover themselves not some media outlet

https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/news/port-of-dover-introduces-new-measures-to-get-summ/13686/

So what is a 50% increase on top of 5 booths which is what the Port of Dover article claims. Do you think that they've installed 7.5 booths?

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So what is a 50% increase on top of 5 booths which is what the Port of Dover article claims. Do you think that they've installed 7.5 booths?

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And yet we are told that delays are due to the increased number of checks required because of Brexit. But to your way of thinking, more booths wouldn't help.

From your own link

A deal has been struck with the French border force to man 50% extra passport booths, which are being installed before the summer getaway weekend of 22-24 July.

Port of Dover could have 50 booths but if the French border force only agree to man a certain number then the rest would be useless

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I raised the point that there were no previous problems with the Calais passport check points in the previous 2 and half years since Brexit .

Calais now has a problem , Calais hasnt had a problem in the 2.5 years since Brexit . 

Yes, I know now more people are travelling , but Calais should have prepared themselves for the influx

Calais does not have a problem. We have a problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

From your own link

A deal has been struck with the French border force to man 50% extra passport booths, which are being installed before the summer getaway weekend of 22-24 July.

Port of Dover could have 50 booths but if the French border force only agree to man a certain number then the rest would be useless

They can't staff booths that don't exist. It wasn't the French who limited the number of booths.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

silly billy

The French border officials

Doug Bannister, CEO of the Port of Dover, blamed border control officials, Police aux Frontières, for failing to provide sufficient numbers to staff the passport booths.

Only four of nine booths for the French border controls for travellers leaving the UK were reported to have been staffed on Friday morning, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/23/dover-travel-delays-who-is-to-blame

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I'm not sure what you think you're proving. I cited an ITV article that said 2 more booths were being installed. Vinny41 preferred what he believed was a more authoritiative version from the Port of Dover itself which said that 50% more were being installed. Well, as I pointed out that that come to 7. 5 booths. Is there such a thing as half a booth?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Spain and Portugal airports making it easy to enter the country, UK passport holders can join EU citizen line in Spain. 

I know who I'd give my hard earned cash to, and it wouldn't be the deleted French. 

And a reason why people were going to France by road, is because of the current flight problems to places like Spain and Portugal 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Spain and Portugal airports making it easy to enter the country,

But I thought they had to do what Brussels tell them as they have no sovereignty? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, nauseus said:

And QED is an argument? It wasn't your post anyway. 

Again, a completely irrelevant response to my post.

It's also irrelevant which posts I choose to reply to; it's an open forum. If you want to have a private conversation use PM.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, baboon said:

But I thought they had to do what Brussels tell them as they have no sovereignty? 

Whatever is going to happen next? Spain and Prortugal making their own rules at borders; Hungary and Poland keeping their own rules and blocking EU budget, France and Germany breaking fiscal rules. 
Brussels can’t rule its roost properly. The whole thing is falling to pieces. It won’t take long. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bannork said:

The desperate refrain of Brexiteers. 'The EU is falling apart! It won't be long now'.

If anything, Russia 's brutal invasion of Ukraine has strengthened Europe's sense of a united identity. 

Of course there will be differences between 27 countries but the centre will hold.

We'll be rejoining before the decade is out 

Very unlikely only remainers believe in magical fairy tales

The EU wants to see stability and at least a pro eu vote of 75% for a period of 15 to 20 years 

At the moment the EU is more than happy that it got rid of one of their pain in the backside members there is at least one more member state they would like to see the back of.

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Very unlikely only remainers believe in magical fairy tales

The EU wants to see stability and at least a pro eu vote of 75% for a period of 15 to 20 years 

At the moment the EU is more than happy that it got rid of one of their pain in the backside members there is at least one more member state they would like to see the back of.

Regarding fairy tales, it was the Brexiteers who had to believe in the sunny uplands, Remainers were perfectly happy with the valleys and plains we were on.

But never mind, as a predominantly Christian bloc, the EU will welcome back the sinner for

there will be more joy in heaven over one country which repents than over 27 righteous countries which need no repentance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1