Changing US paper currency with small flaws

Does anyone know why exchange booths and banks in Thailand refuse to accept US bills if they have just a small pen mark or any other small "flaw" on them? Only crisp, new, completely uncirculated bills seem to be acceptable. I have tried to exchange almost perfect and perfectly legal currency that would be accepted without question in the US or any other country in the world but no, not here. It is extremely frustrating. They want tourists to return but then won't let them change their money so they can spend it!

• Confused 1

That’s not my experience, I have exchanged quite a lot of old US bills left over from a car buying trip to the US some 10 years ago.

Now 2022 I exhanged at green Superrich main office, Wasu Nana, and orange Superrich mainoffice. (No small boths, no banks)

All bills more or less worn, and all of them old series 1990s to 2006 ones. Not new crisp ones, but I didnt bring bills with pen marks or stamps on them. Now last time Wasu didn’t give displayed rate for old ones anymore, only 32 vs about 32.75. But Superrich did????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I have tried to exchange almost perfect and perfectly legal currency that would be accepted without question in the US

"...[USD] currency that would be accepted without question in the US".

Would US banks accept beaten-up, dirty, scrawled-on Thai bank notes for exchange?

• Like 1

I had 280 ,50 pound notes , that ,money exchange's ,Banks ,would not

exchange over the years , because of writing on them ,as they were

been taking out of circulation , I got to cleaning them up, used vinegar

and washing up liquid , took some time ,but finally got them where they

looked OK to me, took them to exchange and was relieved that they

changed the lot.

Had a problem once in Indonesia ,had Thai Baht ,not in the best condition,

none of the exchanges in the malls , shopping centres would accept them,

I was directed to a small exchange who took them but at a discount.

If bringing cash into Thailand always make sure it's clean ,no writing,

no tears, it will save you hassle , funny you give them clean notes ,but

give you grubby Thai Baht........

regards worgeordie 

In May, I brought a stack from my bank in US, still in the bands.  Mrs. went to deposit her bank and they turned down about $4,000.

You can't win if it goes direct from bank to bank and they still won't take it.

But I am sure there is some one will take a few Ben Franklins here and there to use it up.....

In their defense I think they might say that they have to resell your less than prisitine bills to some Thai (predominantly) customer planning to go to the U.S. Or even to anyone traveling to a country where USD can be used.

Hence they want the best possible product in their inventory to sell to other customers.

Not unreasonable, given there are few alternatives which won't eat into their margin.

• Like 1

Its all currencies. Not just USD.  I have been caught out many times with both SuperRich chains refusing £50 notes. Had to wait until my next trip home to put them back in the bank.

Tried all sorts of chemicals without success trying to remove ink marks. Even started a thread here to ask for suggestions.

I think they must be afraid of getting stuck with damaged or marked notes by whoever takes them from the exchanges.

The only other suggestion is maybe swap them with a compatriot who is returning to the U.S.

Edited by phetphet

On 7/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  They just want clean, unmarked notes.  Why they want them like that is irrelevant (it could be BoT 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Would US banks accept beaten-up, dirty, scrawled-on Thai bank notes for exchange?

As I clearly explained in my post these are not beaten-up, dirty, scrawled-on notes. They are crisp, recent series, almost pristine notes with tiny pen marks on them. I have experienced problems exchanging them at several places, including my own bank but I may try some of the places suggested in some of the more constructive responses to my post

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, charmonman said:
On 7/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  They just want clean, unmarked notes.  Why they want them like that is irrelevant (it could be BoT 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

As I clearly explained in my post these are not beaten-up, dirty, scrawled-on notes. They are crisp, recent series, almost pristine notes with tiny pen marks on them. I have experienced problems exchanging them at several places, including my own bank

"They just want clean, unmarked notes" is what I wrote and that has been confirmed by your own experience. 

You confirmed that the notes you have been unable to exchange have been written on (pen marks).