Bad experience at CW

Today I went to CW to apply for a 90 day Non O retirement visa. I had carefully prepared my documents but was told I needed a bank letter in addition to the official receipt from Bangkok Bank which is very different from their list of requirements - I know the letter is required for extension only. I spoke to a supervisor who knew I was right but didn’t want the IO to lose face so I was forced to go downstairs for bank letter.  Then another surprise- I expected to receive visa but was given Under Consideration so I have to return August 10. I guess I just make another Non Immigrant visa appointment for that day. Will have to delay knee surgery as I don’t want to go there on crutches. After using O-A visas for 14 years getting a Non O visa is a pain but I have the money in the bank so no need for a 35,000b agent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are the Residence Certificates now back to being done at CW.  I need to renew my DL for both the car and MC.  Wish it could be done on-line like a 90 day report can be done now.....

CW...

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/courses/muangthongthani-will_be-closed/

Remember to just tick car license.

The one certificate will cover both car and bike.

If you tick both they will charge 400baht and send 2 certificates.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Jersey, agreed. 

Without a doubt, the most valuable posts on this part of the Forum are the recent trip reports.

In fact, I wish the Forum would create a sub-section which only lists trip reports and the responses of other members.

There are far too many sections and sub sections as it stands now!

i've done the visa exempt to non imm O at CW twice.  the most recent was august 2021.  the checklist of items needed can be a little confusing.  it always helps to check in here on the forum in advance.  the bank letter has been required both times that i did it.  also, the two week wait period was in place both times that i did it.  the best part about the process is you do it at the C desk which has no line, so i'm not sure you need an appt.  unless the process has been moved to the L desk.  both times i applied i was done in 15 minutes (pick up took less than 5 minutes). 

one of the worst days i had at CW wasn't even related to immigration work.  there was huge traffic out on the main street and it took me an hour just to get out of the govt office complex.  then another hour to get to the highway.  man, was that hell !!! (i was in a taxi).

23 hours ago, Caldera said:

Sorry but you can't claim that you prepared carefully, but at the same time didn't realize that there's an under consideration period. I've never heard of a non-immigrant visa being issued on the spot, there's always an under consideration period.

Same with the bank letter. When was the last time anyone didn't need one? Having to go one floor down to obtain one also doesn't exactly amount to a bad experience, more like a very minor inconvenience.

All that being said, thanks for your report and I mean it. It will help others to come prepared. 

I used the official requirement list provided by Ubon Joe which is very detailed and there is no mention of a bank letter for the initial 90 day visa. 
if they want to change these rules, fine but then the written rules should be amended. Dealing with Immigration here is the worst aspect of living in Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 1:10 PM, Searat7 said:

in addition to the official receipt from Bangkok Bank

Don't understand what you mean by this - a 6-month statement (the max period they can issue over the counter), perhaps??

On 7/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Caldera said:

Having to go one floor down to obtain one also doesn't exactly amount to a bad experience, more like a very minor inconvenience.

Not to mention that those of us living in the provinces normally have to travel considerably further than "one floor down from our immigration office" for a bank letter which we may be asked to provide!

• Sad 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:27 PM, Searat7 said:

Then this should be listed as a requirement so there is no confusion

In the case of retirement:

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form
  2. Copy of applicant’s passport
  3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
  4. Account deposit (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/#1610937479150-0456cfd8-f864

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Caldera said:

Sorry but you can't claim that you prepared carefully, but at the same time didn't realize that there's an under consideration period. I've never heard of a non-immigrant visa being issued on the spot, there's always an under consideration period.

"I've never heard of a non-immigrant visa being issued on the spot, there's always an under consideration period".

When I used to do my own retirement extensions based on income at CW they were always issued that day, there was never an "under consideration" period.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not to mention that those of us living in the provinces normally have to travel considerably further than "one floor down from our immigration office" for a bank letter which we may be asked to provide!

Those of you who choose to live where you do, yes?!   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

Had a great experience today at CW.  Left the house at 12:30 pm for the 24km drive to Building B.  Arrived at 12:55pm. Walked into building B, but prior had to fill out the Covid screening sheet.  I had all of my paperwork in hand, the COR application completed and copies in hand for the COR's needed, which is always needed (Passport pages, TM-30, and last 90 day receipt).  At the Que ticket counter, at 1:05pm, and my paperwork was checked, since it was all in order I was given a Q#, which was Q#47 for the B counter section.  A few folks in front of me trying to get a Que # were redirected to get the proper copies made.  I then Walked the 10 feet to the B counters and my number was called at 1:10pm. I was in and out in 5 Minutes after paying the required monies for 2 COR's. Was given the EMS racking number and told because of the upcoming Holidays it might take 2 weeks until the COR will be in hand. Walked back to the car, hit the expressway and was home here in Lumpini at 1:40pm. Total time of over just 1 hour door to door. I was Quite impressed with the speed to get in an out, and it is very important to ensure you have all of the paperwork and copies completed and in hand.  This is why so many of us post our experiences herein these pages and OP's to pass on the info to others as far as what is needed. BTW if you are getting both licenses you only need just one set of copies and the COR application needed for those two letters.  I asked if that would be the same if I was buying vehicles as well, and the I/O stated that you can circle all of the boxes shown on just 1 Application, and they will do as many letters as you indicated, as long as you pay the 200 Thb for each one.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"I've never heard of a non-immigrant visa being issued on the spot, there's always an under consideration period".

When I used to do my own retirement extensions based on income at CW they were always issued that day, there was never an "under consideration" period.

I wrote visa, I didn't write extension. I'm well aware that retirement extensions are often approved on the spot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, radiochaser said:

What immigration office is "CW" and where is it?

Chaengwattana Immigration Division 1: Government Complex - 7th  Alley,

Thung Song Hong, Lak Si, Bangkok 10210

This is the only Immigration Office in Bangkok for Bangkokians.