C.O.P.D.

ancharee

Friend of mine who lived in Pattaya for many years went back to Ireland a year ago as he was bad with C.O.P.D. couldn't walk far always out of breath, he said you go on a waiting list for years so he looked at going private, but it seems the costs are huge, he has been told that one of the pipes coming from his lungs needs to be widened and can be done with a operation anyone had experience with this sort of problem and recommendations for a doctor

Thanks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

However using government hospitals is time consuming which is a real issue for someone not now living here.. He'd need to plan on staying here a month or more at least. There are often long wait lists for surgery especially since  COVID. And they won't do a procedure just based on recommendation from his home doctors. He will have to start at the very beginning with initial consultations, batteries of tests etc. I am also not sure this type of surgery is even being done for COPD in government hospital and, if it is, likely just in major university hospitals (none in Pattaya area, he'd have to try in Bsngkok). Criteria are likely to be quite specific and restrictive. (Would help to know exactly what procedure was recommended).  

Frankly I think it very, very unlikely he would end up getting this specialized surgery - if at all -- any sooner than if he just waited his turn in Ireland. Probably take longer and there's a chance he wouldn,'t get at all. (This is all referring to using a government hospital).

Now at a private hospital waits would be minimal and good chance he would get the procedure but it will be costly. Likely over 500k baht (if no complications) but again, could tell more if I knew exactly what procedure has been recommended. 

Other important considerations are:

1. Travel risks. Flying with COPD severe enough that he was recommended for surgery may be   contraindicated, especially a long flight. In fact it is advised not to fly for 6 weeks after a COPD exacerbation. Then there is the COVID angle. I don't  know the situation for airport he would use but can tell you first hand that Heathrow is a veritable petri dish for COVID transmission as I just  learned the hard way. Needless to say COVID is especially dangerous for people with COPD.

2. Insurance aspect: unless he already has good insurance that will cover him in Thailand ,(including related to his COPD) or is very wealhy  he is taking a big gamble as he could end up needing hospitalization for more than just the elective surgery he seeks.  With COPD he is at elevated risk  of heart problems, pneumonia etc etc.  especially  after a long flight. Every chance of ending up in an ICU with bills in the millions of baht. 

Since he moved back to Ireland because of his COPD I am guessing he is neither extremely  wealthy nor privately insured. In which case this seems a very bad idea indeed.

At an absolute minimum he should:

1. get the exact medical name of the recommended surgery

2. Verify its availability and cost in Thailnd and don't even consider coming unless/until he is sure he can get what he needs at a price he can afford. 

3. Discuss with his doctor whether it is safe for him to fly in his present state of health.

Coming to Thailand for say a catarct removal in order to avoid delays back home is one thing. Your friend's situation is altogether different.

Thanks Sheryl, I will pass info on to him

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:12 PM, Sheryl said:

With COPD he is at elevated risk  of heart problems, pneumonia etc etc.  especially  after a long flight.

I have long covid and breathing issues which seem to be better with Seretide accuhaler.

is this classed as COPD and would it be wise to fly?

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I have long covid and breathing issues which seem to be better with Seretide accuhaler.

is this classed as COPD and would it be wise to fly?

Long COVID is not the same as COPD.

As to whether it is safe for you to fly, you would need to ask the doctor treating you.

• Like 1