How early can you apply for a Covid 19 visa extension?

Generally speaking couple of weeks prior is the norm.

If you applied just prior to Aug 25 it would be approx 3 weeks prior.

All you can do is try.

Border runs possible now so that's an option if no covid extension is given 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Generally speaking couple of weeks prior is the norm.

If you applied just prior to Aug 25 it would be approx 3 weeks prior.

All you can do is try.

Border runs possible now so that's an option if no covid extension is given 

What's the situation with Cambodia/Laos border runs?can you come straight back in or is a 1 night stay needed?

27 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

What's the situation with Cambodia/Laos border runs?can you come straight back in or is a 1 night stay needed?

No problem at crossings to Laos but some crossing to Cambodia will insist you stay overnight since that is a requirement for a visa on arrival.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sadmoneysnow said:

Update, picked up my passport yesterday. I was able to get another 60 day extension. I applied for the extension approximately 30 days before the current extension expires. I am pleased.

I almost had an issue with the TM 30 because my paper did not look exactly like the example TM 30

Does your new 60 days extention start from 13 of september, you current extention expiry date as you mentioned above?

this is lottery.

i personally think it depends on the immigration officer. some say, can do one month in advance, some say come around one week before expiration. I've had both experiences.

i will check what they say tomorrow.

but i wonder, is it now possible to do a Malaysia run? maybe save some baht? (i still have to calculate train cost... and passport space? lol)

Edited by rahil627
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:32 PM, rahil627 said:

this is lottery.

i personally think it depends on the immigration officer. some say, can do one month in advance, some say come around one week before expiration. I've had both experiences.

i will check what they say tomorrow.

mapquest driving directions

but i wonder, is it now possible to do a Malaysia run? maybe save some baht? (i still have to calculate train cost... and passport space? lol)

Awesome. Thank you I feel better I was worried

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sadmoneysnow said:

Yes it starts when the last extension ends. My extension now expires in November

Good news! But it still depnds on the immigration you applied and how many extentions you have had so far. Unfortunately you did not mention your immigartion office.

Edited by anandra

In CM 

Can extend 1 month before visa expires but the 60 days will start from the day you apply. So if your visa were to expire 20th of next month and you applied today (23 aug) you will get 60 days from today but will lose about 1 month from the previous visa ????

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, falangUK said:

In CM 

Can extend 1 month before visa expires but the 60 days will start from the day you apply. So if your visa were to expire 20th of next month and you applied today (23 aug) you will get 60 days from today but will lose about 1 month from the previous visa ????

Tank you. Very important infprmation. I think the best way to find out immediately iis to go for extention to an Immigration office that gives 60 day stamps straight away without any under consderation date. But do those offices exist now?))) 

2 hours ago, falangUK said:

In CM 

Are you sure that is the case for second and subsequent Covid extensions? Almost everywhere else, the Covid extension starts on the application date for the first Covid extension, but at the end of the current permission to stay date for subsequent Covid extensions.

I remember clearly that at some point it was 30 - 45 days (depending on your immigration office) as the earliest time after the previous extension, but afterwards due to high rise of CoViD-19 infections, they didn't want offices to be overcrowded, so they allowed you to come like a few days prior, then 2 weeks, not sure how it is now, but hopefully it's back to the original 30 days at least.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Are you sure that is the case for second and subsequent Covid extensions? Almost everywhere else, the Covid extension starts on the application date for the first Covid extension, but at the end of the current permission to stay date for subsequent Covid extensions.

Unfortunately yes ???? was rather surprised to be honest.  Of course the immigration officer said it's the decision of the local chief. 

3 hours ago, anandra said:

Tank you. Very important infprmation. I think the best way to find out immediately iis to go for extention to an Immigration office that gives 60 day stamps straight away without any under consderation date. But do those offices exist now?))) 

Phuket used to do?

CM always had the under consideration for 15 days

1 hour ago, JaydenL said:

May be an image of text that says '自 JULY. EXTENSION: COVID-19 GENERAL INFORMATION Use atyour assure approval your REQUIRED ORIGINAL SIGNED COPIES Passport page BEFORE stamp Extension(s) stamp page(s) fapplicable eligible exempt Related documents fapplicable TM30 need: travel letter letter your does ORIGINAL Official others photo months ld) specific Approval issuing extension the will case basis holidays =19960 considered on case for: PERIOD GRANTED for Covid make copies beforehand could PROPERLY Flip-flops issuing officer, added current period may applied BEHAVE POLITELY Don't FEE 1,900 THB (cash only) ggressive YOURSELF ©Ellie Moderator either Thai ethe person talking Thai Visa Advice Facebook group Best Best the author individually'

It states 30 - 45 days, just as I assumed.

Yes, but I am sure you know, every immigration office has its own rules, no matter what they say in General rules. Chonburi office the same, some days they did 2 weeks before the last date of extention starting on the day of expire, but some days they started counting 60 days from the day you applied. 

• Thanks 1

i've had normal 60 day covid visas, no consideration in:

ko samui

i've had "under consideration" two weeks in the following counties (annoying):

chiang mai

ratchaburi

hua hin

surat thani (at a higher price?; don't remember; didn't do)

i've had "special" visa offered at a special price (~3500thb) in the following counties (but never took any offers):

ayuthaya

ko phangan (when it first opened, iirc)

surat thani (i was given a choice after i said i was traveling north by motorcycle, iirc)

as for how early, it's between a week before to a month before. too many factors determine it to be certain.

anyway, 'tis the end of an era of covid visas!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rahil627 said:

i've had normal 60 day covid visas, no consideration in:

ko samui

i've had "under consideration" two weeks in the following counties (annoying):

chiang mai

ratchaburi

hua hin

surat thani (at a higher price?; don't remember; didn't do)

i've had "special" visa offered at a special price (~3500thb) in the following counties (but never took any offers):

ayuthaya

ko phangan (when it first opened, iirc)

surat thani (i was given a choice after i said i was traveling north by motorcycle, iirc)

as for how early, it's between a week before to a month before. too many factors determine it to be certain.

anyway, 'tis the end of an era of covid visas!

Grea and useful information. For sure it is the end of covid extentions, when did you do this 60 days extention in Ko Samui?

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/national/40019209

covid exts active until end of sept 2022......?

I do not think that Nation article provides any insight into whether Covid extensions will still be available. I had thought that, to keep tourist numbers up, the government might decide to keep Covid extensions until their replacement by longer permissions to stay on visa exempt entries and visas on arrival. However, with no announcement having been made, I suspect Covid extensions have ended.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I had thought that, to keep tourist numbers up, the government might decide to keep Covid extensions until their replacement by longer permissions to stay on visa exempt entries and visas on arrival.

Basically, they did just that. People who applied before August 24 can stay until November. And the longer 45 day visa exempt permissions start from October.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not think that Nation article provides any insight into whether Covid extensions will still be available. I had thought that, to keep tourist numbers up, the government might decide to keep Covid extensions until their replacement by longer permissions to stay on visa exempt entries and visas on arrival. However, with no announcement having been made, I suspect Covid extensions have ended.

could be right as thats what i was told at IMMIG today  ????  im in a jam now

On 8/17/2022 at 9:32 PM, rahil627 said:

personally think it depends on the immigration officer. some say, can do one month in advance, some say come around one week before expiration. I've had both experiences.

I really wonder do they have a centrally accessed operations manual

for each visa class with updated rule steps added.

Or they are told word-of mouth in each office on updated rule steps and it all gets varied through oral explanations...."Chinese or in this case - Thai Whispers"....such a hodge podge of results on same issues foreigners need to address.

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Is it really impossible for you to make it to the border?

i could make it to burma..but is closed  laos is too long of a haul and $$$$  

i might just call it a day and roll out on sept 10....been here 10 months...funds running low

need remaining cash for flights home...found  a cheap flight from bkk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i might just call it a day and roll out on sept 10....been here 10 months...funds running low

Malaysia.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Plenty of schools and agencies looking for people to teach English.That would sort your visa problems plus cash in the pocket.