British Airways snubs Bangkok in favour of elite travellers to Singapore as Thai Airways rises

webfact

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve flown every class except first. Dismal. Broken seats, broke the entertainment system, inedible food….. I have a list too long to go through here.

Just wish they could change the name to reflect its Spanish ownership.

7 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

BA lose and Thai airways get  the fares and people on their flights.They win 

Possibly not, fare prices will dictate who gets what.

Thai are not the only UK-Bangkok carrier, Thai could price themselves out of the market.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Do you really need an answer to that, or are you just fishing for likes?

If I was after an answer I would have put a question mark. As for likes, please. You need to get over yourself.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

If you want to pick at TAT go ahead, try something better though.

I guess you are a TAT apologist. I criticise them quite often on here and you can check through my posts if you like . Oops shouldn't use that word:whistling:

27 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Can't beat Eva- LHR to BKK direct.

Thank you, I totally agree. During my 20 years living in Thailand, EVA AIR became my favored "direct" flight choice. Never flown to/from BKK with BA - always too expensive! On one occasion, my EVA flight to LHR was full and I was asked to "step down" being offered 1,000 baht cash, a hotel for the night in Bangkok and a seat on the next day's flight. As it turned out, this was not necessary as EVA re-booked me with THAI Business Class at no extra cost - I was a happy bunny!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

BA lose and Thai airways get  the fares and people on their flights.They win 

Not necessarily I live on the islands so I would be okay going via Singapore great place for an overnight stop and then a direct flight to Samui 

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Possibly not, fare prices will dictate who gets what.

Thai are not the only UK-Bangkok carrier, Thai could price themselves out of the market.

Only Thai, BA and Eva fly direct, and Eva are almost certainly the best.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pops1 said:

In my experience trying to do business or even just work with Thai people is incredibly difficult. Always late and never prepared. Never taking responsibility for errors. Constant lying about business related issues such as customer feedback on performance. Worst and most difficult to deal with is never saying how they actually feel and drawing a curtain over their emotions so that you never know where you stand. It has always amazed me how companies can function profitably here.

555 Same as you and me - they get used to it and adapt. It's quite a challenging learning experience but worthwhile. I try not to judge but there's no doubt I've taken many deep breaths - and learned.

7 hours ago, pops1 said:

In my experience trying to do business or even just work with Thai people is incredibly difficult. Always late and never prepared. Never taking responsibility for errors. Constant lying about business related issues such as customer feedback on performance. Worst and most difficult to deal with is never saying how they actually feel and drawing a curtain over their emotions so that you never know where you stand. It has always amazed me how companies can function profitably here.

Ok so thats the good part, whats the bad part of doing business with Thai people ????

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Air France uses 3-4-3 seating on the 777 they fly to BKK. Also, per seatguru.com some BA 777's use 3-4-3 seating. Most airlines are moving to it as they refresh interiors. 

And if that wasn't bad enough Airbus is now offering 3-4-3 seating in the narrower A350 ????

"And if that wasn't bad enough Airbus is now offering 3-4-3 seating in the narrower A350 ????"

Cattle Krung-Beens.

9 hours ago, Archie Baker said:

Central,  north & north east UK can travel to Thailand via Dubai.  Cuts out a hectic and expensive trip to Heathrow. BA are not stupid they will have done the research.

Plus the old 747's that BA ran on the BKK - LHR route were the oldest planes in the BA fleet and were in constant need of repairs. Delays caused by technical problems was a routine occurence on that route. Have a work colleague whose son was on a BA flight LHR to BKK and he was marooned for 48 hrs in Athens, 2019, waiting for the plane to be repaired and declared fit to fly after an emergency landing there due to a fault!

9 hours ago, pops1 said:

"Always late and lying"?

Just like the women then! ????????

10 hours ago, pops1 said:

they learn from their big brothers in China.... it's all about face or not loosing it  555

• Like 1

I recall a few years back Thai immigration were notorious for randomly rejecting passengers who arrive on long haul flights for no apparent reason other than some made up rule about being in Thailand too long - there is no such rule but I believe if you look at the consequences of such an action there is a reason...

The airlines were not happy about this, when a passenger is denied entry the airline is fined the equivalent of thousands of dollars per passenger denied entry - it's always about the money.

The passenger is not fined or even made aware that this fine exists but the airline is still fined and there's nothing they can do about it - it's always about money on some level - and this is where it is.

I heard this pre-pandemic scenario was creating some serious concern for airlines. Add to that the mostly nonsense restrictions introduced at the airport and it makes Bangkok a toxic destination which is worth avoiding at all cost.

Chickens are now coming home to roost.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Thai tourist insurance charge hassle and

visa hassle and

"farang price" hassle and

business operation hassle (4 employees req, no self-employment) and

mask wearing hassle and

'u cheap tourist, we only want rich tourist' hassle and

quite a few other hassles paying off big time! ????

• Like 1

I had a Gold card with THAI AIR, then they were good, gave up on them as the service kept going downhill. Same with BA just hated the curled up sandwiches etc. Never use either of them now. If I travel. use Eva which go direct or stopover for 1-2 hours midway with Emirate. Jet etc, found them pretty good. 

But did you stop to think that the powers to be have got together so as to Revive Thai Air????

12 hours ago, Black Angus said:

I had a Gold card with THAI AIR, then they were good, gave up on them as the service kept going downhill. Same with BA just hated the curled up sandwiches etc. Never use either of them now. If I travel. use Eva which go direct or stopover for 1-2 hours midway with Emirate. Jet etc, found them pretty good. 

But did you stop to think that the powers to be have got together so as to Revive Thai Air????

The reason for the curled up sandwich is it makes it easy to see/find the filling.

I did the Thai Airways Heathrow route last month and was pleasantly surprised. New plane, clean, good service and kept my glass topped up. Last few times i have gone the middle east route. Like Emirates, Qatar a lot but one flight is far better for me.