British Airways snubs Bangkok in favour of elite travellers to Singapore as Thai Airways rises

webfact

When I last returned to UK (pre  pandemic) I shopped around found the Arab airlines were charging way too much and prices were different at different times and days. BA gave the same price for every flight and it was competitive. Only issue was I had to fly to Heathrow. Anyway I hope they will return soon to Bangkok to help keep pricing competitive.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

With their currently capped capacity ex Heathrow and limited capability it makes sense for them to focus on more lucrative destinations.... Singapore would be an example....

Plenty of alternatives ex UK for Bangkok.... better ones I might add. 

@jacko45k????

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

The Thai way!

If less people are coming, charge them more to make up for those people who aren't coming!

They don't understand that they might make those tourists that do come ' cheesed off! '

Straight out of the Prayut, Prawit and Anutin anti foreigner manual.

I think that the word you are looking for is xenophobia?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So far as of July just over 3 million  tourists/travelers have entered Thailand, and they are still hoping for 10 million.   My bet is no more than 6 million for the year.

You'll lose your bet then. You're predicting a monthly average of 600k from Aug-Dec, June was circa 800k and July is circa 1 million. 

Over the past 30 years I have used BA on many occasions, some as a courier.  I have never been on a flight which was less the 90% full. Originally they used the Boeing 747 and latterly have downgraded to an old Boeing 777. Unless you were in Business Class you had a pretty uncomfortable flight; they were cramped and the seats were dreadful with many having a media box under the seat in front . So it may be that of late BA have had a lower seat uptake but that was entirely a problem of their own making. Yes, I know that AF and KLM use the identical planes but they are just as uncomfortable.

People are now looking to travel in modern planes hence the success, for instance, of Finnair.

The fact that Thai are now flying two flights per day rubbishes the suggestion by BA that there are not enough customers.

BA have shot themselves in the foot and have only themselves to blame for their predicament. Please do not blame the customer-you provide the service and there will be customers.

• Like 2

international flights to thailand are monopolised by emirates, which has some 35% of share.

So for the BA getting on that route will be difficult.

They have already code share to BKK with Qatar (as I remember). 

And they have kept their bangkok slot, which they are using for cargo flights. Apparently, cargo is more profitable, than passenger.

Tourism to thailand is highly seasonal - summer holidays and xmass/new year, with winter brakes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, internationalism said:

international flights to thailand are monopolised by emirates, which has some 35% of share.

So for the BA getting on that route will be difficult.

They have already code share to BKK with Qatar (as I remember). 

And they have kept their bangkok slot, which they are using for cargo flights. Apparently, cargo is more profitable, than passenger.

Tourism to thailand is highly seasonal - summer holidays and xmass/new year, with winter brakes.

At the last official count there were 17,000 British Expats in Pattaya alone-quite a few of those will be travelling to and from the UK. It is not just tourists who used to use BA..

5 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

BA lose and Thai airways get  the fares and people on their flights.They win 

Maybe BA could foresee the future? That the demand for flights will decrease and people will choose other more friendly destinations instead? ????

• Like 1

The only letter of complaint I have written to any airline during a lifetime of leisure and business travel was to British Airways. I complained about the attitude of the cabin crew and the meal - chicken to start, chicken as the main course. No choice. BA replied, with: "More people fly British Airways than any other airline in the world." One might call it a F... Y.. response. My complaint was not addressed. 

Just the facts. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Airlines_Group  British Airways is part of an Anglo-Spanish conglomerate.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d166b58009e3c506aa347dae1e7f117.jpeg

My last flight to the UK I flew BA via Singapore everything was fine flight wise 

Came back earlier than planned no problem even had a upgrade to business class direct flight Heathrow to Bangkok 

Again a good flight 

When you compare Thai And BA  you can see which one is the money maker and in my case the best one to fly 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

.. airlines across the world ..... are increasingly looking to prioritise flights where Premium and luxury seats can be sold to business and wealthier customers. This market does not include London to Bangkok which is seen as a service for holidaymakers and budget travellers who make up the vast majority of Thailand’s foreign tourists.

But but but - haven't they read that Thailand is going to be the number one choice of millionaires seeking time in the sun? The government said so.

I used to know a company which collected intelligence on and evaluated risk and analysed potential risk for businesses looking to operate overseas.

I did a little bit of low level ( but well paid) consultancy work for them when I left the Army, collecting and collating reports and producing what the army would call an Intsum (intelligence summary).

I don't know if BA was one of their clients, but they did undertake studies for some very "big hitters".

Their reaction to the flip flopping, on/off signals over the last year or so and the increased interest in "controlling" visitors would almost certainly be "not worth the hassle".

Edited by herfiehandbag

53 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

Over the past 30 years I have used BA on many occasions, some as a courier.  I have never been on a flight which was less the 90% full. Originally they used the Boeing 747 and latterly have downgraded to an old Boeing 777. Unless you were in Business Class you had a pretty uncomfortable flight; they were cramped and the seats were dreadful with many having a media box under the seat in front . So it may be that of late BA have had a lower seat uptake but that was entirely a problem of their own making. Yes, I know that AF and KLM use the identical planes but they are just as uncomfortable.

I can't speak for Air France, but the difference between the KLM and BA versions of the 777 is seating configuration. KLM use the horrible, cramped 3-4-3 while BA retain the 3-3-3. Lousy service and crappy food I can put up with for just that little bit of extra space, not that I find BA's service too bad.

30 minutes ago, shackleton said:

My last flight to the UK I flew BA via Singapore everything was fine flight wise 

Came back earlier than planned no problem even had a upgrade to business class direct flight Heathrow to Bangkok 

Again a good flight 

When you compare Thai And BA  you can see which one is the money maker and in my case the best one to fly 

I would love the chance to compare the two. However for years and years I have never found the price of TG even remotely sensible. Often hundreds of Pounds more than BA.

That might be because I fly from Newcastle, which BA serves, but even with the domestic flights priced in, TG remain stratospherically expensive any time I want to fly.

28 minutes ago, baboon said:

I can't speak for Air France, but the difference between the KLM and BA versions of the 777 is seating configuration. KLM use the horrible, cramped 3-4-3 while BA retain the 3-3-3. Lousy service and crappy food I can put up with for just that little bit of extra space, not that I find BA's service too bad.

Air France uses 3-4-3 seating on the 777 they fly to BKK. Also, per seatguru.com some BA 777's use 3-4-3 seating. Most airlines are moving to it as they refresh interiors. 

And if that wasn't bad enough Airbus is now offering 3-4-3 seating in the narrower A350 ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

New build, or existing hotels bought at firesale prices, having been brought to their knees by the collapsing of tourism?

Remodeling the industry?

It certainly doesn't relate to Thailand specifically, there is a January interview with Asia-Nikkei where their expansion plans were stated to be 13,000 rooms globally by 2025 with the emphasis on China, and 80% would be as manager/operator not owner. Although Minor International are a Thai quoted company only 7% ( 5,000 rooms ) of their hotel portfolio is in Thailand. 

Edited by kinyara
Addtion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The Middle Eastern airlines, (Emirates, etihad, Etc) quality of service is far superior to Bloody Awful airlines. 

Im an Aussie emigre and I felt he same about that flying kangaroo airline. Overpriced, indifferent rude and poor customer care. ME3 all the way! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ftpjtm said:

Air France uses 3-4-3 seating on the 777 they fly to BKK. Also, per seatguru.com some BA 777's use 3-4-3 seating. Most airlines are moving to it as they refresh interiors. 

And if that wasn't bad enough Airbus is now offering 3-4-3 seating in the narrower A350 ????

I just read about that (the A350). Jesus, it's as though the airlines are just trolling us now.

And as for the BA 3-4-3 configuration, I believe they fly from Gatwick to leasure destinations. But yeah, I reckon 3-3-3s days are numbered.

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

People are now looking to travel in modern planes hence the success, for instance, of Finnair.

The fact that Thai are now flying two flights per day rubbishes the suggestion by BA that there are not enough customers.

BA have shot themselves in the foot and have only themselves to blame for their predicament. Please do not blame the customer-you provide the service and there will be customers.

Flew BA with the family summer 2019, great price, great flight and really good customer servcie both ends with young kids.

My only complaint was the way out was during the day, getting into LHR early evening. The night flights arriving in the morning were much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

At the last official count there were 17,000 British Expats in Pattaya alone-quite a few of those will be travelling to and from the UK. It is not just tourists who used to use BA..

Most of the ones I know go quite rarely now, some have not for many years. They also know only too well not to pick BA!

Well, it allows TG now to charge Manchester-Heathrow-Bangkok UKP 1'600 one way ...... in cattle class that is. Prorating Manchester-Heathrow, it still leaves an airfare for TG of which other carriers can only dream about. 

So, once the troughs are filling up again, I wonder, how long it takes the ever-hungry crowd of managers to return. Looking at the face of the gentleman in the original posting ...... he is either more than happy, completely stoned by some seriously good weed or Somchai overdid it the photoshop assignment again ????