Four armed robbers force wealthy French man and wife to lie on floor in 2M+ nighttime robbery in NE

webfact

56 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I reread the article and was astonished to see the fact the victims were taken to the police station for questioning.  Why? It is their house, they are victims, I terrier them there. They are not suspects, or were the police searching the house for other items?....

"Taken to the police station for questioning" is a mischaracterization.  They were asked to come to the police station to make a police report. Way too many details and people involved to complete a report in the field. Standard procedure to go to police station to make a police report, even for minor incidents.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I've never been a negative person, my positive attitude grows every day,

It's not about being happy or unhappy, or being a positive person or a negative person. It's about getting robbed and avoiding getting robbed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Strange but true comment. 

It confuses me why people become negative living in Thailand. I see so many sad, negative foreigners, everyday. 

How is it possible, maybe these negative people were born negative or they haven't managed their lifestyle, failed marriage, losing wealth due to failed business etc., what's going on. 

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I've never been a negative person, my positive attitude grows every day, I'm a very lucky guy to have the opportunity to live in this beautiful country. 

How to stay positive with news like this and this Thai party leader MP in a Benz says he didn't flee the scene after 77 year old grandmother is killed every day, all year long and year after year?

9 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

"Taken to the police station for questioning" is a mischaracterization.  They were asked to come to the police station to make a police report. Way too many details and people involved to complete a report in the field. Standard procedure to go to police station to make a police report, even for minor incidents.

Where? Here in Thailand.  I always met people in their houses and took the reports as well as interviewing them, of course all on tape back then.  Then If I had any other follow-up questions I would meet them at another location, never at the station.  People tend to not be as open and candid when in a facility.....

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where? Here in Thailand.  I always met people in their houses and took the reports as well as interviewing them, of course all on tape back then.  Then If I had any other follow-up questions I would meet them at another location, never at the station.  People tend to not be as open and candid when in a facility.....

That's not how it's done in Thailand. Some cops in moo ban outpost substations rarely, if ever, take a police report. They'll come to the crime scene, make initial observations and notes, but if a police report needs to be made, it's almost always done at the district (amphoe) station.

Edited by Gecko123

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

That's not how it's done in Thailand. Some cops in moo ban outpost substations rarely, if ever, take a police report. They'll come to the crime scene, make initial observations and notes, but if a police report needs to be made, it's almost always done at the district (amphoe) headquarter station.

Nothing like making a victim feel like a suspect.  My now ex-BIL here in Thailand, an RTP Lt. Colonel, always met the people at the house and then off-site, never at the station unless they had turned into suspects for either it being an insurance job or a false report.

11 hours ago, Bobbie Davies said:

Perhaps they should have built closer in. My house is right in the village and have mother in law uncles brothers aunt and sisters living around it. And two dogs. Lights everywhere. Not likely to get robbed there. Though my fiancé and I did get mugged once by yaba teens just outside of UD town.

I live in the middle of a small village don't even need to lock the doors, any strangers would have the village dog packs straight on to them at night, and several curious relatives along with the dogs in the daytime. does get noisy now and again but is mostly quiet, surprisingly for a Thai village...  

• Haha 1

I seem to be suffering from Deja-vu, did not a very similar thing happen a while ago when someone came back, had a party, 'someone' went round the back, climbed in and nicked a load of stuff. I think he was French too.. :unsure:

On 7/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, webfact said:

Reporters at the scene said that the house is 3 kilometers from the village and quiet and lonely at night.

Why a wealthy French guy would choose to live there, I have no idea. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Need to be careful with expensive watches. There was a case a few years ago where a man with expensive watches died and a high member of gov't just happened to acquire them. Now, where should the BiB look first?

I borrowed them from a dead friend honest NAAC Prawit said, not guilty of malfeasance and hiding wealth his friendly NAAC said...where's the watche's now.

Best to check the local pawn shops....

On 7/28/2022 at 11:07 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Strange but true comment. 

It confuses me why people become negative living in Thailand. I see so many sad, negative foreigners, everyday. 

How is it possible, maybe these negative people were born negative or they haven't managed their lifestyle, failed marriage, losing wealth due to failed business etc., what's going on. 

Thailand has been my home for over 20 years, I've never been a negative person, my positive attitude grows every day, I'm a very lucky guy to have the opportunity to live in this beautiful country. 

Yeah I don't get it either. 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:47 AM, SymS said:

I was thinking about upgrading my dwellings to something better, but no thanks. I'll just stay in my 4,500B/month two bedrooms house and ride a bicycle wearing T-shirts with a few holes here and there...

Where do you rent a decent comfortable place for 4 500 baht/month?

On 7/27/2022 at 9:37 PM, BritManToo said:

I would expect rich people to have a better driveway.

As for keeping large amounts of money lying around in your home .... never a good idea in any country.

Growing up, not rich, my dad taught us not to carry a lot of cash around with and not to leave large amounts of cash or valuables visible in the car or even near windows in the house.

I was reminded  about leaving "valuables" visible on a winter night when I left a wool blanket and a Carhart jacket visible in the back seat of my car.  Someone smashed my window to steal those "valuables".

It was cold driving home until I could put some cardboard in that window.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, Phil1964 said:

Where do you rent a decent comfortable place for 4 500 baht/month?

Out of town in Lampang province. Around 100m2, but basically no furniture (bed + one aircon), so I can to spent around 60-70K Baht to add another aircon, buy furniture, a kitchen sink, and setup and office. The land is fairly small considering the house size, but enough to have a small garden and park two cars. The landlord has also decided to take it easy with an attitude that can be described "if you can stay, you can stay, if not you can leave".  The first month we had some small issues and she fixed it, but a few months ago, we realized it was raining inside the house during heavy rains, and she doesn't seem to care having not done anything in four months. 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:56 AM, Iamfalang said:

It's a timepiece.  Jewelry.  Nobody wears a Rolex because they can't afford a smartphone.  It's a piece of art to them.

Like............who needs paintings???!?!?!!?!?  Who needs a faster car, mine goes the speed limit!!!!  Sculptures....why?????  beds that can fit 10 people, why????  Kitchen the size of a village... why, why, why!!!!! lol

Who needs a smartphone with 1000 cameras???  Rolexes increase in value, unlike phones.  

My watch(es) tell me barometric pressure, altitude, solar powered, carbon, some titanium, and a compass.  Do I need this?   Of course, I'm an online Navy Seal who tracks the trolls!!!!

8 billion humans, different tastes.  You don't like watches, but many like wearing them.  

No one can steal an expensive watch if you don't own one.  Think. ????

11 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

No one can steal an expensive watch if you don't own one.  Think. ????

Thats a good point...

I don’t own a watch, I have a cheap nokia 3310 phone, I drive a rickety old motorcycle, I wear tattered and worn clothes and live in a s#it hole..... No one is going to rob me !!!!  :whistling: