SRT Launches Work on New Carriage Prototype

snoop1130

9274b86d2d89901df0bbeb120b88f03e_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Engineers at the King Mongkut Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (KMITL) have disclosed that they are currently developing a prototype for a 25-seater luxury rail carriage that is expected to enter service offered by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) in 2023.

Deputy SRT governor Siripong Preutthipan stated that the project is part of the Transport Ministry’s Thai First Policy, which aims to incorporate more Thai-made hardware into Thailand’s public transportation system.

According to Siripong, the project received 32 million baht in funding, of which 25 million baht came from the Competitiveness Program Management Unit. Sinogen-Pin Petch Joint Venture Co, meanwhile, provided the remaining budget.

The engineering team said the new carriage would feature eight "super luxury" seats, which are comparable to first-class seats on an airplane, and seventeen "luxury" seats, which resemble business class. The carriage will also have a 5G-based intelligent infotainment system and a UV-C air purification system.

Deputy SRT governor added about 40% of the materials used to construct this prototype were sourced locally, making it thirty percent less expensive than an imported carriage. After the carriage has been tested to ensure it meets international safety and production standards, it will be added to the SRT’s regular services.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-07-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

13 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The carriage will also have a 5G-based intelligent infotainment system and a UV-C air purification system.

My bold!

So they're building one!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

That's nice. Now I can spend 8 hours travelling 20km in luxury ????

... and enjoy the wide range of fine cuisine offered by vendors who board the train - and your super deluxe carriage - at every station... 

• Like 1

If the home-made buses are anything to go by, I think I'll pass and just continue driving. 

On a more serious note, just how many affluent people here consider,  even think about, taking the train?  Surely they fly or have their driver drive them there in one of those big mini-buses. 

Edited by djayz