Land Values In Petcheboon

I am new to this forum.

I have looked through this forum and have found some information but not to much about central Thailand land values.

My Thai wife and I live in a condo in Chon Buri. We are planning to build a home in Petcheboon where her parents currently live. I am looking for any information on bare land values in and around Petcheboon. I have been to Petcheboon 3 times so I am somewhat familiar with Area. I also know about all the restrictions on purchasing land. But, I am 50, my wife 40 and she will buy (or 30/30/30) we are not sure yet. When we build I will move permenently to Thailand. Now I commute from the US. UGG!

The information that I can find is limited so I thought I would post here as an additional source.

I received a price quote of 600000 baht for 1600 m2 on a main road and another for 180000 baht for 800 m2 that needs some fill to build. Both have electric and water. What do you think?

Any and all comments are encouraged and welcome.

GWH

180000 sounds ok for 800m2 on a main road. But remember once they have seen you they may already have inflated the price. Get the land purchased in the wife's name , then lease it off her for 30 + 30 and then build the house. That should cover you.

Up in Phetchabun there is always plenty of room for negotiation.

Them prices seem a little expensive,

Are the plots on the main 21 road?

which area of Phetchabun are you looking at?

They are off the 21, on a main road, about 20 kilometers from the Center of Phetchabun?

The plot for 600000 is actually 1.1 Rai. (1600 m2 + 400 m2) The other .5 Rai.

Any ideas on costs for fill?

Thanks for the response.

They are off the 21, on a main road, about 20 kilometers from the Center of Phetchabun?

Thanks for the response.

This is a bit sketchy from wife but she says about 300 to 400 baht per truckload of fill. Her sister's last house was on about 600m2 and she needed between 50 to 100 truckloads.

Sorry I know 50 or 100 big difference but she's not sure, can't remember. But in any case max is 40000 Baht so not too bad I guess.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the response.

OK,

What is the village/area called?

Our land (for example) is directly on the 2075 road. If you don't know the village/area,s name....Is it North,North East, south of the city centre?

I recently bought 7 rai for 70,000 per rai approx 30 kms from city centre

Edited by Monkeypants

Thanks for the response.

OK,

Our land (for example) is directly on the 2075 road. If you don't know the village/area,s name....Is it North,North East, south of the city centre?

Wow, 70000 per Rai! This piece is right on the 2258, 500 meters from the school. It has city water and electric.

Does your 7 Rai have electric and water and main road frontage?

Should I be re thinking this. OMG! Now I am in a quandry. I am coming back to LOS in September to tour the property so I have plenty of time to re think. No money invested yet.

Any recommendations on a lawyer in Petchebun that speaks English?

Thanks for the response.

OK,

Wow, 70000 per Rai! This piece is right on the 2258, 500 meters from the school. It has city water and electric.

Does your 7 Rai have electric and water and main road frontage?

Should I be re thinking this. OMG! Now I am in a quandry. I am coming back to LOS in September to tour the property so I have plenty of time to re think. No money invested yet.

Any recommendations on a lawyer in Petchebun that speaks English?

You say to tour the property, do you mean land?

Yes 7 rai is right on the road with electric and mains pressure water from the local resevoir.

Our village is called" Huai Yai" 30kms NE of the city centre.

Forgot to mention our road is the 2275 not the 2075 type error.

Lawyer in Phetchabun.... No I don't.

But doing it the Thai way is ok, no lawyers required.

Make sure any land you buy comes with a" chanote " title deed.

Monkeypants;

You are very helpful and a great resource for me. I apologize to the delay in responding.

Yes I do mean land and not property.

This 1.1 Rai is in the village of Rawing on the 2320. Not on the 2258. In the village proper, so I am told. 500 meters from the school. My wife is from Srisaket (in Petchebun) so it is close to this. The information I posted before about location was incorrect. (Translation issue, I know you understand)

Have you been there? Am I crazy for even considering this price? I could really use your experise here.

Is your 7 Rai a farm? My wife asked me to ask you this?

Thanks

GWH

[ My wife is from Srisaket (in Petchebun)

Hmmmmm....... Srisaket is near Surin, Isaan area of Thailand, nowhere near Phetchabun :o

Has your wife been to this area in Phetchabun?

Is Rawings north East south west of Phetchabun city centre?

I have never heard of Rawings????

I will ask the missus shortly, see if she can throw any light on it.

Our land is roadside with electric and water ,tarmac road It is not a farm but I can't see the relevance to the price of land it doesn't matter if it is farmland aslong as you have electricity and water nearby prefferably on a tarmac road, also a chanote Title deed,

There is lots of land for sale around 70,000 baht per rai similar to ours all over Phetchabun, I would come and have a look for yourself and forget the extortionate prices you have been quoted so far.

Who is selling the land are they friends of your wifes?

I am new to this forum.

I have looked through this forum and have found some information but not to much about central Thailand land values.

My Thai wife and I live in a condo in Chon Buri. We are planning to build a home in Petcheboon where her parents currently live. I am looking for any information on bare land values in and around Petcheboon. I have been to Petcheboon 3 times so I am somewhat familiar with Area. I also know about all the restrictions on purchasing land. But, I am 50, my wife 40 and she will buy (or 30/30/30) we are not sure yet. When we build I will move permenently to Thailand. Now I commute from the US. UGG!

The information that I can find is limited so I thought I would post here as an additional source.

I received a price quote of 600000 baht for 1600 m2 on a main road and another for 180000 baht for 800 m2 that needs some fill to build. Both have electric and water. What do you think?

GWH

Hi GWH

I know nothing about buying property up country but I do know about buying property in Bangkok and the same priciples MUST be applied.

Do your own research and do it well, get yourself a good lawyer to check the bank dosn't own most of it...etc, etc, etc. It's so easy to get ripped off in Thailand.

Monkeypants asked a very relevant question...is this property for sale through your wifes family/friends? How did you find this land? It does sound very expensive.

Best of luck mate.

Rawing is a tambon south of Petcheboon on the 2320. Sisakrit (not the north one) is a local name for the Huay Sakae tambon.

My wife has lived most of her life in Huay Sakae and her family owns land there and their house.

Rawing is 2-3 k from Huay Sakae.

This land is in the center of town. A realtor from Nang Phai is selling the land in this development. Other plots have been sold. I do not know the price.

My wife is there now and is convinced it is a legitimate deal. The land does have a chanote. This site is house ready. My wife is already planning where to plant mangos and coconuts (UGG!) As I said we are not kids anymore (both of us) and I do trust my wifes judgement. However.......

Forgive me for asking but is buying through family/friends a good thing or a bad thing in Thailand?

When I hear about 70000 a rai I really have to wonder.

Thanks

GWH

Hello, I live in the south of Petchabun province some 110km from Petchabun city.

It is a sizable town on route 21 and my wife and I live in a nice rented Thai house.

I have had my eye on some land for sale on a Soi through information provided by Thai friends. After some tough haggling I ending up paying 375,000 baht for 1000m2.

The land has electricity available and mains water can be piped in later.

I have now filled in the area at a cost of 500 baht per truck, from a local company, it took 110 truck loads as there was a chuffing great pond to fill in too!. It is now settling nicely and I will start building some time next year- no rush etc.

The price I paid for this land continues to worry me some what as I thought it was too much, but a small bit of land on the frontage road in this town is currently up for 1 million baht.

My wife's relatives are from Lampang province and we can buy farm land there from 40,000 baht a Rai and have access to fantastic timber etc, plus the air is allegedly cleaner!

but I do not want to live out in the sticks.

Petchabun province is nice and worth exploring once you live here- good luck

Hello, I live in the south of Petchabun province some 110km from Petchabun city.

It is a sizable town on route 21 and my wife and I live in a nice rented Thai house.

I have had my eye on some land for sale on a Soi through information provided by Thai friends. After some tough haggling I ending up paying 375,000 baht for 1000m2.

The land has electricity available and mains water can be piped in later.

I have now filled in the area at a cost of 500 baht per truck, from a local company, it took 110 truck loads as there was a chuffing great pond to fill in too!. It is now settling nicely and I will start building some time next year- no rush etc.

The price I paid for this land continues to worry me some what as I thought it was too much, but a small bit of land on the frontage road in this town is currently up for 1 million baht.

My wife's relatives are from Lampang province and we can buy farm land there from 40,000 baht a Rai and have access to fantastic timber etc, plus the air is allegedly cleaner!

but I do not want to live out in the sticks.

Petchabun province is nice and worth exploring once you live here- good luck

Thanks for this information. This is the first encouraging word that I have heard to date. I would love to hear other stories (good and bad) like this. I will eventually be living in LOS (most likely 2008) and this is very helpful.

GWH

"Forgive me for asking but is buying through family/friends a good thing or a bad thing in Thailand?"

The short answer....It can be a very bad thing.

In Thailand your wifes priorities will be her family first...king second...country third....then maybe you fourth.

Deals are done, family depts are paid and all done in a manner that is completely guilt free to them. Earning a commission from sales (especially farangs), and even from family members is the norm here, especially in the Issan regoins.

I know nothing of your relationship with your wife and it is probably a truthfull & loveing one but....be very carefull.

You are doing very well in my books, you are doing your research well and learning the pros and cons on the way about buying property in Thailand. Remember, you cannot own land in Thailand. It will be entirely in your wifes name. Would you do the same in your country? I think not.

If I was in your place, I would be testing the market very carefully before buying. Why not buy a nice condo in town mate? you can own it outright 100% and you would own it outright, plenty of time to buy land later down the track when you learn more about the region. This way you would learn pretty darn quick about your wifes loyalties if you seriously sugested this because this would mean nothing gets put in her name and no kick backs to family members, if she was in it for the money she would do everything to talk you out of it.

I know this sounds extreme but seriously, I have heard HUNDREDS of stories like this where the farang lost everything.

Just be carefull mate and all the best to you.

I am new to this forum.

GWH

Hi GWH

I know nothing about buying property up country but I do know about buying property in Bangkok and the same priciples MUST be applied.

Do your own research and do it well, get yourself a good lawyer to check the bank dosn't own most of it...etc, etc, etc. It's so easy to get ripped off in Thailand.

Monkeypants asked a very relevant question...is this property for sale through your wifes family/friends? How did you find this land? It does sound very expensive.

Best of luck mate.

I'm not in land business. But I wouldn't pass the opportunity to say this......

what a nice gesture for you to take time to write a warning to your fellow forumers.

Thanks.

I own a condo in Chon Buri as stated in my initial post. My wife lives there when she is not with her familiy in Huay Sakae. The condo is in my name.

We have been looking at house plans and when we build I will have a 30/30 lease in my name. I am fully aware that she will own the land

What I am not sure about is paying 580000 Baht for 1.2 Rai of land. My wife got the realtor to drop the price 20000 baht. No mortgage, chanote, non family member realtor, electric, water mains, house ready (no fill needed), it all looks very good, so far.

What I am sure about is that my wife and her family considers this a "big deal" in their tambon and they will have an elevated status when I buy the land (for my wife) and the house is built. Apparently this area has other new houses being built nearby and is "trendy" (if that even exists in RaWing).

I know it is not the same but I have just sold 18 acres of land in Upstate NY with water and electric for just a little more than this 1.2 rai in Thailand. I am just trying to get my mind around this price.

GWH

I own a condo in Chon Buri as stated in my initial post. My wife lives there when she is not with her familiy in Huay Sakae. The condo is in my name.

We have been looking at house plans and when we build I will have a 30/30 lease in my name. I am fully aware that she will own the land

What I am not sure about is paying 580000 Baht for 1.2 Rai of land. My wife got the realtor to drop the price 20000 baht. No mortgage, chanote, non family member realtor, electric, water mains, house ready (no fill needed), it all looks very good, so far.

What I am sure about is that my wife and her family considers this a "big deal" in their tambon and they will have an elevated status when I buy the land (for my wife) and the house is built. Apparently this area has other new houses being built nearby and is "trendy" (if that even exists in RaWing).

I know it is not the same but I have just sold 18 acres of land in Upstate NY with water and electric for just a little more than this 1.2 rai in Thailand. I am just trying to get my mind around this price.

GWH

So what you are saying is land in New York State is about 1/36 the price of Petcheboon.

Are the people poor in New York State?

Can not the poor people in New York State work bar so they can find so one to buy them land?

Anyway we all known Petcheboon is richer than New York State now

Land imho is worth the price someone is willing to pay for it , near the land that i paid for , 9 rai is up for sale @ 5 million baht i feel the land will be unsold , i have paid for land @ 100k a rai and turned away sellers @ 20k- 50k a rai . Land that has water elec is on the roadside and near the city mkt shops etc will fetch a premium . The land you are being offered check it out and if you are happy with the purchase then just buy it and dont worry about what someone else says its worth . If its the location you want and you feel it will make you happy then buy it .

JB

I like yoiur perspective and frankness.

GWH

GWH

I looked in an area for two years for a piece of land to come up for sale and nothing , imho is a good location , with beauty , area where you could look and see the temple in the distance , looking across open fields and mountains in the distance , one day a piece of land comes up for sale just over 1 rai 450k and i was told it was too exspensive and i was nuts to buy the land .

A thai family bought the land and nothing more has come up for sale and maybe wont in future , i always thought north east Thailand would be very cheap to land , i have seen land near the citys in the Nth East change hands at 1 million baht a rai and thats Thais buying it .

Yeah land does come up for sale in the middle of nowhere for cheap money but it has its reasons why its cheap , this is building land your buying somewhere for you and your wife to put a home , land in the uk countryside is cheaper than Thailand but you cant build on it .

If the locations right and somewhere you will build a home and it will make you and your wife happy just buy it , you pay 1 time no mortgage done deal .

JB

My wife recently bought a building lot in our village. It is on a concrete road with village water and electric. It is just over a half a rai. She paid 80,000 baht for it. On the main road, there are parcels selling from 100,000 per rai up to 500,000 baht per rai. The 500,000 baht per rai land is a nice well kept fruit orchard. The simple fact is that the land is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. As far a throwing away money for a lease and a lawyer, I'd advise against that. Be ASSURED that the land office will not transfer the chanote if there are any problems at all. If the land does not have a good chanote, be especially careful. If things were to go bad with your marriage, I seriously doubt that you would want to live there alone so why bother trying to protect yourself.

Since we have been married, I have bought my wife two ten rai small farms and that building lot. I naturally don't expect things to go bad with our marriage but if it were to turn pear shaped, I'd pack my bags and head for the farang ghettos. There would be no sense looking back because lease or not I wouldn't want to live here alone.

Thanks GARY

You are spot on in your observations.

I got a copy of the Nor Sor 3 and everything checks out. I go to Phetchabun next week to look and if I like, make a contract with realtor. (My wife has already planted mango and coconut trees so I think I already bought it! Never changes, does it!)

On a different but related note:

Does anyone know of detailed road maps (in English) of Phetchabun Province?

GWH

Thanks GARY

You are spot on in your observations.

I got a copy of the Nor Sor 3 and everything checks out. I go to Phetchabun next week to look and if I like, make a contract with realtor. (My wife has already planted mango and coconut trees so I think I already bought it! Never changes, does it!)

On a different but related note:

Does anyone know of detailed road maps (in English) of Phetchabun Province?

GWH

GWH

You can get the maps in the big gasoline stations , plenty of road maps that you will understand .

JB

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am looking for land near to Khao Kho organic farm. I'm interested in land that has some altitude, where there are trees around, no neighbors next to the land plot. I don't require electricity, gas, septic, etc. I will be building an adobe self sustainable house.

I don't need a large plot of land. Just one that has no neighbors next to it. If anyone knows of something really nice, let me know. I am currently in Khon Kaen.

S

Edited by dreamtime