San Francisco City, New York State declare monkeypox emergencies; Spain reports first known European monkeypox death of current outbreak

onthedarkside

Screenshot_5.jpg.3d90e7ea8d1df68c982f3b38bdde960e.jpg

Both San Francisco and New York have declared monkeypox emergencies as the cities continue to see cases surge among men who have sex with men (MSM) and a high demand for vaccines.

"Based on the ongoing spread of this virus, which has increased rapidly and affected primarily communities that identify as men who have sex with men, and the need for local jurisdictions to administer vaccines, I've declared monkeypox an Imminent Threat to Public Health throughout New York State," said New York State Commissioner of Health Mary T. Bassett, MD, in a press statement.

In San Francisco, city health officials declared an emergency beginning Aug 1, saying the action will help them streamline their response to the virus. Mayor London Breed said getting more vaccines into the arms of city residents was the main goal of the emergency declaration.

Currently, there are more than 20,300 cases confirmed in non-endemic countries around the world.

(more)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/07/san-francisco-new-york-declare-monkeypox-emergencies

CIDRAP.jpg.f8712608e44aa9b09afdc641afac42f5.jpg

Spain confirms Europe's first-known monkeypox-related death of current outbreak

Monkeypox can be transmitted from person to person through close physical contact, including sexual intercourse, and is caused by the monkeypox virus

Spain has reported Europe's first monkeypox-related death of the current outbreak - and the second outside of Africa.

The country's health ministry confirmed the death on Friday, but did not release further details about the person.

Brazil reported the first monkeypox-related death outside the African continent in the current outbreak earlier in the day.

In its latest report, the Spanish health ministry said 4,298 cases had been confirmed in the country.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/spain-confirms-europes-first-known-monkeypox-related-death-of-current-outbreak-12661601

145796505_SkyNews.jpg.e230ae24149cb072e8c5bdade5a47130.jpg

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

"communities that identify as men who have sex with men" lol. Is it so wrong to just say the gay community? This WOKE cr@p totally gives me the shets. Just boring self righteous people looking for a cause or bandwagon to jump on and creating issues where there are none. I suspect many of the people they supposedly defend detest them. I have no problem or ill feelings towards gays, transgenders, ethnic groups etc and think about them no more than they would think about me, but I can't stand these <deleted>.

Odd what you chose to take

away from that news piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSM is extremely useful specifically in a medical context.

It is definitely not the same thing as gay.

For examples among blacks many men are on the "down low" and don't identify as gay.

In Mexican culture it is considered macho and not gay to be the top role.

Thai culture is quite fluid where probably the majority of MSM do not identify as gay.

Of course we all know about prisons, etc.

This has nothing to do with woke.

I have a personal experience example.

Decades ago I had a new doctor who was examining me and at a time when there was no eye contact asked me if I had sex with men. A very medically relevant thing he should know. It was medically irrelevant for him to know if identified  as gay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

"communities that identify as men who have sex with men" lol. Is it so wrong to just say the gay community? This WOKE cr@p totally gives me the shets. Just boring self righteous people looking for a cause or bandwagon to jump on and creating issues where there are none. I suspect many of the people they supposedly defend detest them. I have no problem or ill feelings towards gays, transgenders, ethnic groups etc and think about them no more than they would think about me, but I can't stand these <deleted>.

Ill informed reactionary rubbish. 

8 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Spain confirms Europe's first-known monkeypox-related death of current outbreak

Monkeypox can be transmitted from person to person through close physical contact, including sexual intercourse, and is caused by the monkeypox virus

Spain has reported Europe's first monkeypox-related death of the current outbreak - and the second outside of Africa.

The country's health ministry confirmed the death on Friday, but did not release further details about the person.

Brazil reported the first monkeypox-related death outside the African continent in the current outbreak earlier in the day.

In its latest report, the Spanish health ministry said 4,298 cases had been confirmed in the country.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/spain-confirms-europes-first-known-monkeypox-related-death-of-current-outbreak-12661601

145796505_SkyNews.jpg.e230ae24149cb072e8c5bdade5a47130.jpg

I read elsewhere that this individual had multiple comorbidities, and was being treated for advanced cancer.

This is from the Daily Mail about the two people so far recorded as dying from Monkeypox:

It comes after a 'middle aged' man from Alicante, in the Valencia region, became the first death in Europe on Friday. 

He has not been identified but health authorities said he died from encephalitis associated with the disease, a serious condition which causes the brain to become swollen. 

It followed the death a 41-year-old male in Brazil. He had serious immune system complications and was hospitalised at the Eduardo de Menezes Hospital in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, at the time of his death Thursday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11064419/Second-Monkeypox-death-announced-Spain.html