No injuries after Nok Air 737-800 slides off Thai runway

KhunBENQ

Is it in the news? Didn't find it.

A NokAir plane overshot the runway in Chiang Rai yesterday evening in heavy rain (no casualties).

As a result the Chiang Rai airport is closed for today.

I have checked online status sites and no flight has departed.

Found this:

Incident: Nok B738 at Chiang Rai on Jul 30th 2022, runway excursion on landing

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jul 30th 2022 22:25Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 30th 2022 22:28Z

A Nok Air Boeing 737-800, registration HS-DBR performing flight DD-108 from Bangkok Don Muang to Chiang Rai (Thailand) with 164 passengers and 6 crew, landed on Chiang Rai's runway 03 at 21:04L (14:04Z) but veered left off the runway and came to a stop all wheels off the paved runway. There were no injuries.

The airline reported heavy rain caused the aircraft to slip on landing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I read the post land this is from the link provided above this photo post, I do not believe the plane is on its wheels.....

"veered left off the runway and came to a stop all wheels off the paved runway. There were no injuries.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Well, I the terrain is simple grassland and heavy rain the wheels can sink deep.

That is true. Was not thinking about that, but of course it could have been turned into a swamp by the heavy rain.

You see the main landing gear.

nokair2.jpg

If you have Twitter, just search for "DD108".

There is a picture from this morning where it sits unchanged.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

No injuries after Nok Air 737-800 slides off Thai runway

By David Kaminski-Morrow 31 July 2022

HS-DBR Nok Air 737-800 incident-c-Alec Wilson Creative Commons

One of Thai carrier Nok Air’s Boeing 737-800s has skidded off the runway while landing at Chiang Rai airport in the far north of the country.

It appears to have suffered an excursion from the left side of runway 03.

The twinjet, operating flight DD108, was transporting 164 passengers and six crew members from Bangkok on 30 July, says the carrier.

It states that it arrived at Chiang Rai at 21:06 but “heavy rain” caused the aircraft to leave the runway.

All passengers and crew disembarked and were transported to the terminal. “No one was injured in any way,” claims the airline.

Source: FlightGlobal

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

A NokAir plane skidded off a wet runway as it landed during heavy rain at Chiang Rai International Airport, northern of Thailand.

The Boeing 737-800 (reg. HS-DBR) was performing flight #DD108 from Bangkok to Chiang Rai.

While the pilot was landing the plane at Mae Fah Luang Chiang Rai Airport, heavy rain caused the plane to slip off the runway.

296764320_10160045273627661_5228640567691660635_n.jpg

All 163 passengers and six crews were safe, and no casualties have been reported.

Source: AirLive

34 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Why do we need 2 threads on the Nok Air incident?

My apologies if this topic has already been posted... I did scan both the Thailand News forum and the CR forum and did not find mention of the incident.

Can you please provide a link to the topic and I will attempt to merge the 2 topics together.

• Like 2

Just now, Jai Dee said:

My apologies if this topic has already been posted... I did scan both the Thailand News forum and the CR forum and did not find mention of the incident.

Can you please provide a link to the topic and I will attempt to merge the 2 topics together.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1267529-31-july-2022-chiang-rai-airport-closed-after-yesterdays-incident/?do=getNewComment

Could have been Wind Shear.  In that kind of weather a headwind can turn into a tailwind quickly.  I almost “bought the farm” many years ago trying land with a tailwind. Thankfully I was piloting a small airplane and the runway was long(7000 feet).  

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This is in Thai but it seems to imply the passengers were stuck on board for ages as "the official stressed that it is a rule of thumb to not stand on the runway. Plus it's raining now afraid to get wet However, everyone insists that they are not afraid of getting wet."

Surely after a runway excursion like this the crew must enable a fast evacuation of the aircraft within the regulated 90 seconds in case of fire?

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

This is in Thai but it seems to imply the passengers were stuck on board for ages as "the official stressed that it is a rule of thumb to not stand on the runway.

Yes I saw it somewhere in English that the passengers were locked for more than an hour in the tube.

22 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

This is in Thai but it seems to imply the passengers were stuck on board for ages as "the official stressed that it is a rule of thumb to not stand on the runway. Plus it's raining now afraid to get wet However, everyone insists that they are not afraid of getting wet."

Surely after a runway excursion like this the crew must enable a fast evacuation of the aircraft within the regulated 90 seconds in case of fire?

Evacuate, evacuate.

U/C damage, wing damage, fuel leak, damaged engines, FIRE

Wrong decision by the pilot

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Since there wasn't any fire there was no need for an emergency evacuation. An evacuation has the risk of people getting injured (happens frequently), so it's only done if necessary.

If I had been a passenger on that flight I would certainly have appreciated that I was able to remain safely seated instead of having been forced outside in the dark and the rain.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I read the post land this is from the link provided above this photo post, I do not believe the plane is on its wheels.....

"veered left off the runway and came to a stop all wheels off the paved runway. There were no injuries.

It might still be on its wheels but if there has been a lot of heavy rain in the past few days they may have sunk in the grass. Whichever way that is going to be a pig of a job to get it back on its wheels and onto the solid concrete runway.

No sir, it will NOT be on the line at 08:00 tomorrow morning.

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Evacuate, evacuate.

U/C damage, wing damage, fuel leak, damaged engines, FIRE

Wrong decision by the pilot

Not so. An unlucky decision, yes. Wrong No. If he was coming to the end of the landing run the wind could easily have shifted and  slid the port landing gear into the crud and the aircraft would have followed.

Where does it say damaged engines, fuel leak and fire?

The nacelle on the starboard side looks a bit bent, no sign of a fuel leak as there would have been rainbow puddles and NO sign of any fire or the passengers would have been evacuated very quickly. 

Nok Air flight skids off runway in Chiang Rai, no injuries but flight cancellations and delays

By Adam Judd

image.jpeg

Chiang Rai, Thailand-Nok Air Flight DD108 from Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok to Chiang Rai skidded off the runway upon landing last night, July 30th, 2022 at 9:06 P.M. with 164 passengers and 6 crew members onboard. Luckily, nobody was injured.

According to Nok Air representatives, the accident happened due to heavy rain during the landing but the pilots were able to get the situation under control without any injuries.

A formal investigation is set to take place following the accident, however, as is standard with these incidents.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/07/31/nok-air-flight-skids-off-runway-in-chiang-rai-no-injuries-but-flight-cancellations-and-delays/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!