I need a U.S. mobile account in my name for U.S. banking security codes -- specific advice needed (help!)

It's been iffy for me receiving SMSs with Ultra while using wifi.

Also, wifi calling itself is iffy. Sometimes there's a connection, sometimes not.

Not at all happy that you can't get an itemization from Ultra. They just take whatever from your wallet.

Can you define "iffy"?

Maybe you're WiFI is "iffy"? This is your private, home, dedicated WiFi network used only by yourself?

Are you definitely using WiFi? And not 4G? And you've enabled WiFi Talk & Text on your dashboard?

I don't use UM a lot for voice calls (to/from the U.S.); I use LINE, Google Voice. But I have used it for ~ 45 minutes each billing period, and maybe 15 texts, no issue whatsoever.

And I have no issues with billing; just the $3 deducted each period.

2 hours ago, taxout said:

Not at all happy that you can't get an itemization from Ultra. They just take whatever from your wallet.

I agree, poor web site.

They only take $ 3/month but show it twice! Stupid.

1st is; "Monthly renewal". 2nd "Plan recharge Wallet" (what a hell is that?).

Both show $ 3/each but as I said, only one $ 3 charge a month.

PS. I don't let them have my CC on file. I pay and delete CC number.

PPS. I don't trust them neither. They are part of Tmobile. I had Tmobile "PayAsGo". I had $ 135 in to get 12m service between fill ups. Then they changed it to 6m without notifying. I lost my # and $ 135.

Duh. Yes I know perfectly well what I'm doing. Sometimes SMSs don't come through when connected "via wifi." And sometimes "via wifi" just switches off or never comes on.

"Iffy," for those unfamiliar with slang, means "not completely dependable."

For those using UltraMobile it may be easier to just use international roaming rather than WiFi Talk & Text? Incoming SMSes are just 10 cents each.

To use WiFi calling your phone needs to support it, and it needs to be enabled. This can be tricky on some models. And you may have to disable the carrier check via IMEI?  To disable the VoWIFI carrier check, all you have to do is enter *#*#869434#*#* in de phone dialer. The option to place calls over WIFI will then appear in the phone menu.

Then go to the dialer app, enter settings where you can enable WiFi calling, usually in the Calling Accounts section.

Most problems involve shared WiFi, or conflict within the phone when dealing with call termination paths.

“Iffy” is weird. It either works or it doesn’t, so without additional detail this remains a mystery. Probably something simple to resolve.

I still think the TextNow solution would work for the OP, and it’s only $4.99 to test it. Or they could simply contact TextNow and ask if the service works with their bank(s).

On 8/4/2022 at 7:02 PM, GypsyT said:

I agree, poor web site.

They only take $ 3/month but show it twice! Stupid.

1st is; "Monthly renewal". 2nd "Plan recharge Wallet" (what a hell is that?).

Both show $ 3/each but as I said, only one $ 3 charge a month.

Just their way of documenting the different accounting transaction...and yea, it can be concerning when first signing up with them and wonder if you are getting charged twice...but you are not as you said.

They first check to see if you are on a monthly Automatic Renewal where your credit card is used automatically recharge your wallet by X-amount charged....or if using balance in your wallet and you add money when you want to. 

If using the Wallet Balance method (like both of us use) they first "sweep/load" the funds from your wallet balance and then do another accounting step shortly after of actually spending those funds to pay your monthly renewal.    Yea, at first it can make it look like you are being charged twice but you are only being charged once as identified on the "Funds Spent" code line.    Yea, probably too much info for the customer....but that they accounting method they are using.

image.png.bd396004db7c19ba501ab7b43bc6e527.png

I have two UltraMobile SIMs....I use them occasionally and only use them in Wifi Calling mode....works fine.....always connect....always get the SMSs. 

Your problem in sometimes not getting SMSs is probably related to a Wifi Calling setup issue with your particular phone model or intermittent Wifi connection with your phone versus any problem being with the Ultramobile SIM.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:52 AM, Jingthing said:

I'm having issues with:

U.S. Bank (google voice not OK)

Etrade

Truist

Jingthing, I understand that the following is not answering your question but nonetheless think it could possible be helpful.

How does US Bank know that a number is a Google Voice number?

I recently had a friend in the USA help me setup a Google Voice account and it is working well for me so far.   Once you get the number you probably won't be able to put the Google Voice app on your phone unless you are in the States but you can still use the landline service (actually in my case my friend came to Thailand and managed to put the app on two of my phones).

I made a rare trip to the USA and went to a Fidelity office and updated my account so that the  Google Voice number is now my official number.   Not sure how easy it would have been if i had not gone to the Fidelity office.   I'm also using Google Voice for Wise.

Perhaps if you already had a Google Voice number registered with US Bank it would be OK as maybe they only verify new numbers.

If you can use Google Voice to your Etrade and Truist accounts maybe that would be a good idea before new policies are implemented for phone number changes at those institutions.

I was quite worried about being cut off form my money and the primary purpose that I went to the USA was to set up Standing Wire Transfer orders from Fidelity to Thai banks.  So now I have Fidelity and Wise set up as well as SS.  Even though it was an expensive trip I got to see a bunch of friends for perhaps the last time so I didn't mind the expense despite living quite frugally.   

9 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

How does US Bank know that a number is a Google Voice number?

USBank no longer accepts VOIP numbers such as Google Voice to receive Two Factor Authorization codes.

More and more companies/banks are slowly not allowing VOIP numbers either for Two Factor Authorization (2FA) purposes and/or for any other purpose.   Examples: a VOIP number may be allowed for voice/general info texts but not for 2FA.  The VOIP number may not be allowed for any purpose.

"It all depends on the company/bank/etc., as to if they accept/allow VOIP numbers" especially for 2FA codes. While these companies/banks may allow a VOIP number for voice calls they may not allow them for 2FA codes....or they simply may not allow VOIP numbers at all.  

I have quite a few financial/U.S. govt online accts....around a dozen or so......and currently approx 1/3 of them will "not" accept a VOIP number like my Google Voice number.   Now 5 years ago they "all" accepted VOIP numbers but "slowly" more and more stopped accepting VOIP numbers either for 2FA codes "or" not accepting them for anything.   VOIP numbers have more vulnerabilities than mobile numbers. 

It's very easy for a company/bank/etc., to "instantly" determine if a number is VOIP, mobile, or landline.  They have it built into their security system.   Heck, a person like you or me can use websites such as below to enter a number to determine if its VOIP, mobile, or landline.  Like below website where I entered one of my Google Voice numbers and it came back with below results saying it was a VOIP number.

In closing, it all depends on the company/bank/etc., as to if they partially accept VOIP number for certain tasks or completely reject them.

In closing, it all depends on the company/bank/etc., if they accept VOIP numbers.  And just because they currently accept VOIP numbers doesn't mean they always will as tomorrow they could possibly change their online security login policies to not allow VOIP numbers.  You may or may not get a notice from the bank/company....you many only notice it when 2FA text codes stop arriving although general info texts continue to arrive...you may notice it when first trying to create a new online acct--it all depends on the company/bank/etc.    Like I mentioned earlier this has happened to me with about a third of my online financial/US govt accounts over the last 5 years or so.  

https://www.phonevalidator.com/

image.png.50739f4a09280b0634ed4f6cd3f997be.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pib said:

USBank no longer accepts VOIP numbers such as Google Voice to receive Two Factor Authorization codes.

More and more companies/banks are slowly not allowing VOIP numbers either for Two Factor Authorization (2FA) purposes and/or for any other purpose.   Examples: a VOIP number may be allowed for voice/general info texts but not for 2FA.  The VOIP number may not be allowed for any purpose.

"It all depends on the company/bank/etc., as to if they accept/allow VOIP numbers" especially for 2FA codes. While these companies/banks may allow a VOIP number for voice calls they may not allow them for 2FA codes....or they simply may not allow VOIP numbers at all.  

I have quite a few financial/U.S. govt online accts....around a dozen or so......and currently approx 1/3 of them will "not" accept a VOIP number like my Google Voice number.   Now 5 years ago they "all" accepted VOIP numbers but "slowly" more and more stopped accepting VOIP numbers either for 2FA codes "or" not accepting them for anything.   VOIP numbers have more vulnerabilities than mobile numbers. 

It's very easy for a company/bank/etc., to "instantly" determine if a number is VOIP, mobile, or landline.  They have it built into their security system.   Heck, a person like you or me can use websites such as below to enter a number to determine if its VOIP, mobile, or landline.  Like below website where I entered one of my Google Voice numbers and it came back with below results saying it was a VOIP number.

In closing, it all depends on the company/bank/etc., as to if they partially accept VOIP number for certain tasks or completely reject them.

In closing, it all depends on the company/bank/etc., if they accept VOIP numbers.  And just because they currently accept VOIP numbers doesn't mean they always will as tomorrow they could possibly change their online security login policies to not allow VOIP numbers.  You may or may not get a notice from the bank/company....you many only notice it when 2FA text codes stop arriving although general info texts continue to arrive...you may notice it when first trying to create a new online acct--it all depends on the company/bank/etc.    Like I mentioned earlier this has happened to me with about a third of my online financial/US govt accounts over the last 5 years or so.  

https://www.phonevalidator.com/

image.png.50739f4a09280b0634ed4f6cd3f997be.png

Thats a great tool, tried in on my cellphone and my google voice numbers, and yep, did identify them correctly.

But you are right this is a creeping thing, and in many aspects the banks are right to tighten the screws on security.

I'm not sure if this is true in Europe, but in North America the scam calls you get which spoof the number to look like a local area code, even down to a local prefix for everything from car warranties, time shares, medical alert devices are insane.

Those are an irritation, although I do like to play with them sometimes, but move that on to financial institutions and I get the concerns with virtual numbers

Edited by GinBoy2

It is really isn't relevant why SMS don't always work with Ultra on Wifi. The fact is they do not.

Since Ultra doesn't provide an itemized bill, you can't be sure how much you're being charged for each SMS or call. Perhaps it has changed, but originally the fee for getting a roaming SMS was around $1 on the $3/month plan.

Based on my review of the UltraMobile rules "and my actual use/testing" of my two UM $3/month Paygo SIMs below are the costs for use.  And where you see the word "Wallet" that means whatever "Balance" you maintain in your UM online account.  Some people have it setup to Automatically add a certain amount to their Balance each month; others (like me) just top-up occasionally.  Like I always keep my Balance (Wallet amount) above approx $10 (enough to cover 3 months of usage) to play it safe in order to avoid the balance going to zero because I "forgot" to check my balance for numerous months. 

Voice Calls via Mobile Connection

US to Thailand (incoming): deducted from Voice 100 free monthly minutes (no Wallet charge)

- Thailand to US: $2.39/minute deducted from Wallet (no deduction from free monthly minutes)

Note: "incoming" means some other number is calling/texting to your UM number.

Voice Calls via Wifi Calling Connection

US to Thailand (incoming): deducted from Voice 100 free monthly minutes (no Wallet charge)

- Thailand to US: deducted from Voice 100 free monthly minutes (no Wallet charge)

SMS (a.k.a., Text) via Mobile Connection

- US to Thailand (incoming): 10 cents charge to Wallet (no deduction in free texts)

- Thailand to US: 50 cents/text charged to Wallet (no deduction in free texts)

SMS  (a.k.a., Text) via Wifi Calling Connection

- US to Thailand (incoming): deducted from SMS 100 free monthly texts (no Wallet charge)

- Thailand to US: deducted from SMS 100 free monthly texts (no Wallet charge

Data via Mobile Connection

- Unless on Ultramobile “US/home” network (a.k.a., T-Mobile) where you get 100MB free monthly LTE Data there is no domestic or international Data roaming.

55 minutes ago, Pib said:

my actual use/testing

You used the same phone for all your testing?

What is the make/model?

Your results match mine, if I'm using my Samsung A51.

All other phones result in non-WiFi charges, even if I disable the IMEI check ( *#*#869434#*#* )

On some phones you can check the provisioning, *#*#4636#*#*

I haven't done a lot of testing/research. But the best I can come up with is the disable USSD command doesn't work, even though there is a reply, and only my Samsung passes their IMEI check.

Q: How to know if VoWiFi is working ?
A: Put phone in airplane mode and reactivate WiFi only. If you are able to make a call then VoWiFi is working.

You can even remove the SIM and UM WiFi calling will still work.

This seems like the perfect project for you to run with. Let us know the results.

Edited by bamnutsak