Bangkok braces for more widespread flooding

snoop1130

B8CA08EE-2214-47B6-A7A5-D2DF757FFCFE.jpeg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is bracing for another round of widespread flooding, after the city was pounded by more than 100mm of rain last night and with more rain forecast for this evening (Tuesday).

Deputy Director of the BMA’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage, Sombat Vorasinwattana, said today that officials have been monitoring nine flood-prone areas, including Klong Toey, Phra Nakhon, Lak Si and Suan Luang, adding that more water pumps have been installed in these areas, as the BMA seeks help from the army by preparing trucks help people in case of flooding.

People have also been urged not to litter to ensure drainage pipes are not clogged.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-braces-for-more-widespread-flooding/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

People will always toss rubbish, especially when there are a lack of bins. Educating people should be accompanied with valid BMA installed methods to control waste disposal.

The BMA need to reduce risks by re-engineering the storm water systems to include more trash screen stations and more regular cleaning (umplugging) of underground sections of the storm water systems. 

Maybe the BMA should build a better relationship with Singapore and learn from Singapore's waste control management. I'm not suggesting that Singapore is the best example regionally but they do have some similar lifestyle/ wsste generation habits.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

????

The very first thing a local learns is how to wai. All parents are forever pressing toddlers hands together to get them to wai at the appropriate people. Once they have mastered this they are almost ready to take their place in society

But first comes lesson number 2. How to be a litter bug.

Most commonly this  is achieved by the simple method of releasing the grip on the object or thing that has ceased to be useful or needed., no matter where or when this moment arises.

Breaking this habit will take more draconian measures than  'urging' Putting up with flooding seems a lot easier.

this is also true of the hellhole in Western Sydney where I just escaped from. so it's not unique to "the Thais".

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

There's a long way to go yet before the locals are inconvenienced!

I've already been greatly inconvenienced by a recent mini-flood on Silom and Ratchadamri Rds. any idea where I can buy US size 10 wellies?

34 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

this is also true of the hellhole in Western Sydney where I just escaped from. so it's not unique to "the Thais".

I can imagine. Sound terrible. Waiing Aussies bumping into you all the time. Nightmare.

• Haha 2