Dad says FB con artists will get bad karma as well as money after kid's birthday surprise turns sour

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Kid's birthday surprise hurt

Daily News reported that Suphat Inthachart, 43, a seller of crepes, went to the Bang Yai police yesterday evening to report an online fraud.

Suphat told Pol Capt Thanakrit Salangam that he had ordered a Redmi 10 phone from a site on Facebook for his 15 year old son's birthday. 

When the item was delivered he transferred 1,150 baht and accepted the package clearly without opening it.

When he did he found a couple of cheap purses inside worth less than 100 baht each. 

Attempts to contact the seller were fruitless. 

He told the press he was very disappointed and said these con artists are making life a misery for hard working people trying to make a living in tough times.

He said that the person responsible will not just get money but bad karma. It was a sin.

ASEAN NOW suggests that the buyer was trying to get something on the cheap.

A phone of this make retails on Shopee for 4,450 baht and Lazada for 4,399.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2

I bought one item I saw on a FB ad, paid by PayPal, it wasn't as described and PayPal refunded me. The first and last time I buy anything advertised on FB. There is often no way you can verify the honesty of the seller, unlike on Lazada and Shopee where you can see feedback and often look at their history.

The victim here was very naïve in thinking he was getting something at a fraction of the real price. But FB are also to blame as - as far as I know - they just allow anyone to advertise so they can take a fee from the seller, with no checks at all on the product.

Decades ago, before the internet, I wanted to advertise something in National Enquirer, they wanted to see it and rejected it as not up to standard. Since then it appears the world has gone backwards.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I bought one item I saw on a FB ad, paid by PayPal, it wasn't as described and PayPal refunded me. The first and last time I buy anything advertised on FB. There is often no way you can verify the honesty of the seller, unlike on Lazada and Shopee where you can see feedback and often look at their history.

The victim here was very naïve in thinking he was getting something at a fraction of the real price. But FB are also to blame as - as far as I know - they just allow anyone to advertise so they can take a fee from the seller, with no checks at all on the product.

Decades ago, before the internet, I wanted to advertise something in National Enquirer, they wanted to see it and rejected it as not up to standard. Since then it appears the world has gone backwards.

Lazada, Shopee, etc. are not any better when it comes to show honesty.
A few days ago, I was looking in Lazada for measuring strips for my BS Meter, and the number of people who complained to have ordered strips but received cheap needles instead is amazing.
Did me rethink my purchase with Lazada ...

Online scams are plentiful these says. Buying anything on Facebook, sight unseen is risky. If something is sent COD, always a good idea to inspect it before paying. Basic precautions. Never trust a stranger. 

If you are buying on Amazon, Ebay, or Lazada, you have the option of looking at reviews. That helps, as you get a sense of reliability. Also, the platforms themselves offer some remediation, in this sort of event. FB offers nothing. 

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

... Buying anything on Facebook, sight unseen is risky. If something is sent COD, always a good idea to inspect it before paying. Basic precautions. Never trust a stranger. 

If you are buying on Amazon, Ebay, or Lazada, you have the option of looking at reviews. That helps, as you get a sense of reliability. Also, the platforms themselves offer some remediation, in this sort of event. FB offers nothing. 

COD buyers have stated they are not permitted to open the package pre-payment and it mainly helps if the package size and/or weight seems off.

Edited by JimmyJ

19 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN NOW suggests that the buyer was trying to get something on the cheap.

What a disgusting comment from Asean now, if the victim had been a "farang" forum member you wouldn't be so smug and mocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:05 AM, bigupandchill said:

An excellent phone for the money by the way.

Ya, finally traded in my Galaxy Note 4 for a Note 10 while in the US in Jan.  Note 4 just could not handle the size of the new apps (despite great system revisions from the xda guys) and the Note 10 I expect to have as long as I did the Note 4, hell of a device.