Ozzy State Pension.. help required..!

I'm British, and not yet of state pension age, so I need some help for an Australian pal. 

He's 81, been retired here in Thailand for about 20 years.  Recently his State Pension has stopped being paid into his Aussie bank account... 

I know that the UK SP requires that you inform them you are still alive every so often, and I assume the Oz SP has a similar requirement, but he's not received anything from them (or course, we all know how reliaable the Thai postal service can be, so perhaps it went missing..).

He's not in the best of health, and is understandably quite concerned, so I'm "reaching out" to anyone that might be able to help. 

I did hear recently that Oz pensioners must now return to live in Oz for a few years(?) before they are entitled to start receiving their SP, but I wouldn't have thought this requirement would be applied to those already in receipt of their pension.... IDK? 

Thanks in anticipation..

8 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Centrelink International Services telephone numbers,

+61 3 6222 3455

Free call from Thailand

001 800 611 4136

You can call these numbers 0800 to 1700 Hobart time 

My mistake, omitted the 3 in the first number.

• Like 1

A friend recently went through a similar thing (pension stopped with no notice). It took him a few days to finally get in touch with someone. Appenretly Centrelink had sent a letter asking him to confirm his address. He never got the letter. Anyway, he was able to sort it over the phone and get his pension (plus backpay) started again.

Does your friend have a State Pension? If yes, he will need to get in contact with that office using all means possible (phone, email and letter).

There is a requirement to be living in Australia for two years when you first apply for your Old Age Pension. Since your friend is already receiving his pension this does not apply.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your friend needs to phone the Centrelink International section to find out why his pension payments have been stopped. He will probably be asked to provide a fair amount of information for security reasons, so he should assemble as much as possible. Centrelink number, passport, tax file number DOB etc.

The phone number for the international section is +61 6222 3455.

Possibly a better phone no is 001 or 009 0018006114136 to Centrelink International in Hobart TOLL FREE. 

Don't be frightened to call them, they don't bite, Centrelink staff always friendly, professional and focused and no push / no hurry up. 

It's worthwhile for your friend (maybe you) to start a MyGov facility in your PC or notebook then activate Centrelink under the MyGov umbrella. So easy and quick to access.

Centrelink (also the DVA) are progresively giving benefits recipients the option of rceiving mail on line (by e.mail) rather than through the standard Post Office service. I've opted to receive all correspondence by e.mai and I get a message on MyGov that there's a letter waiting, in the Centrelink section of MyGov for me to receive. Can also respond by e.mail. 

In past history I got normal letters through the Australia/Thai post office. The letters from Centrelink all had standard DOMESTIC postage rates impressions (not international postage rates). I got some letters within a few days (here in Chiang Mai)

and some took up to 6 weeks to arrive here.  Iasked Centrelink if it was possible to flag my mail for overeeas postage rates. Nswer 'not possible, all outgoing mail is considered to be domestic'. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 2

I'm an Oz pensioner LOS emigre retiree (but don't quality for any Australian pension payment due to income and assets).

The cessation of his pension is anyones guess.

The good thing I would suggest to share with him is that as long as he has not suddenly become richer, or been hiding assets from Centrelink and Tax Department  (through some inheritance or something) then he is still eligible for the Australian pension, and there is some glitch in the system that can be corrected, albeit it it might take weeks to do so.

Like another said its probably a clerical error and a paper letter was sent to him, he did not respond in time allowed, and thus the pension was stopped.

You can check all his 'profile details' with the operator and the status of his Centrelink and make sure all this info  e.g addresses, contact numbers, notification set-up is correct.

He can get phone updates and notifications sent to a Thai number so if he gets any mail he'll get a notification to go to his MyGov account online and check his mai. 

A regular 'online' checking - once a month at least - of his MyGov mailbox is advised. 

Like others have supplied you with he must call C'link. Id suggest he do that at 8 a.m. Australian eastern time!!!!

The phone queues for Centrelink get very busy so if ya call at that time you'll hopefully get to talk to someone in maybe as quickly as 5 minutes, but, expect to wait maybe 30 (it all depends on the traffic to that specific international enquiry number on the day).

I spoke with them about 4 months back at that 8 a.m. time. I got an operator within about 7 minutes which is good speed for Centrelink.

**** THIS NUMBER IS FREE - THE NUMBER GIVEN WITH A
3 IN FRONT OF IT IS NOT FREE - YOU WILL BE CHARGED INTERNATIONAL CALL RATES FOR THAT 3 PREFIX NUMBER!

• Make sure your phone is well charged, a good quality phone not a Cheap Charlie one as reception and clarity on this call are vital!
  • Use good ear buds so you hear and are heard clearly. 
  • Have a piece of paper to record case #, operators name, and any salient points or instructions offered by C'Link.
  • Take screen shots of all MyGov & Centrelink online account pages visited so you have a definitive record of everything that happens during that call. 

A mid week call is best not a Mondays or a Fridays!

You or someone else cannot speak on behalf of the man. Centrelink will not share anything with a third party unless authorised to do so by the Centrelink recipient (forms, notarisation must be exchanged first for this to be allowed).

• He'll need to quote his CRN.
  • May need to key in any Phone Pin he has (if he has one?)
  • Setting up 'Phone Voice ID' would be a good idea (if he hasn't done that). The C'link operator can help with this.
  • If he has a 'MyGov account' then log-in prior to the call to Centrelink would be good to do to (1) check his mailbox (2) be able to move to, and through his Centrelink account webpages if directed by the Centrelink operator.

Your pal has been receiving the pension as an overseas residing Australian for many years (or so I gather from your sharing of his circumstances) so there is no issue or requirement for him to periodically reside in Australia (i.e. hold an Australian address as a resident at that address).

This idea, feature of (returning/residing for a significant portion of the calendar year to Australia) ONLY APPLIES to Australians in the first 2 years of receiving their pension.

After that 2 years expires an Aussie can leave Australia permanently and still receive their full pension (excluding the Medicare portion) until death OR if their income exceeds the allowed amount, whichever comes first, at which time, their pension would be adjusted downwards accordingly. 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks to those of you for your suggestions, assistance, and selection of numbers for Centrelink.

My pal doesn't have a laptop nor phone, and due to his age, his brain is "slowing down", although he does have the odd lucid moment...  His girlfriend speaks little English (and reads even less), so it's difficult even for me to communicate with her...

...But I now have a forward plan to be able to help him, although visiting him to make a call at 4am Thai-Time is beyond my call of duty..!!!.

btw, does anyone know how often the "proof-of-life" form needs to be completed?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Centrelink International Services telephone numbers,

+61 3 6222 3455

Free call from Thailand

001 800 611 4136

You can call these numbers 0800 to 1700 Hobart time 

the Free call number doesn't work. Dial that number and you get someone in the USA

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

A friend recently went through a similar thing (pension stopped with no notice). It took him a few days to finally get in touch with someone. Appenretly Centrelink had sent a letter asking him to confirm his address. He never got the letter. Anyway, he was able to sort it over the phone and get his pension (plus backpay) started again.

Does your friend have a State Pension? If yes, he will need to get in contact with that office using all means possible (phone, email and letter).

There is a requirement to be living in Australia for two years when you first apply for your Old Age Pension. Since your friend is already receiving his pension this does not apply.

you can also contact centrelink through the MyGov web site.

5 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

the Free call number doesn't work. Dial that number and you get someone in the USA

Just tried the free call number and connected to Services Australia.

So it does work, for me

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

Many thanks to those of you for your suggestions, assistance, and selection of numbers for Centrelink.

My pal doesn't have a laptop nor phone, and due to his age, his brain is "slowing down", although he does have the odd lucid moment...  His girlfriend speaks little English (and reads even less), so it's difficult even for me to communicate with her...

...But I now have a forward plan to be able to help him, although visiting him to make a call at 4am Thai-Time is beyond my call of duty..!!!.

btw, does anyone know how often the "proof-of-life" form needs to be completed?

I believe it is annually from age 80 onwards

• Thanks 1

Just now, ozfarang said:

So it does work, for me

Every time I've tried to use it I get some poor woman in the USA answering. So what's the trick to using this number? The 001 code is the international code for the USA

3 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Every time I've tried to use it I get some poor woman in the USA answering. So what's the trick to using this number? The 001 code is the international code for the USA

The calling code for the US is +1 or 0011

7 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

The calling code for the US is +1 or 0011

and that's exactly why I get the USA. the 001 then the 1800 makes it a 0011 call, which gets answered in America. So again what's the trick to using the 1800 number to reach centrelink?

I understand the use of 001 is supposed to identify the call as being made from Thailand, but as soon as the 1 for teh 1800 gets added, bingo USA every time and I've been trying to use this contact number for the 8 years i've been here and it's always the same result.

Edited by TigerandDog

6 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm an Oz pensioner LOS emigre retiree (but don't quality for any Australian pension payment due to income and assets).

The cessation of his pension is anyones guess.

The good thing I would suggest to share with him is that as long as he has not suddenly become richer, or been hiding assets from Centrelink and Tax Department  (through some inheritance or something) then he is still eligible for the Australian pension, and there is some glitch in the system that can be corrected, albeit it it might take weeks to do so.

Like another said its probably a clerical error and a paper letter was sent to him, he did not respond in time allowed, and thus the pension was stopped.

You can check all his 'profile details' with the operator and the status of his Centrelink and make sure all this info  e.g addresses, contact numbers, notification set-up is correct.

He can get phone updates and notifications sent to a Thai number so if he gets any mail he'll get a notification to go to his MyGov account online and check his mai. 

A regular 'online' checking - once a month at least - of his MyGov mailbox is advised. 

Like others have supplied you with he must call C'link. Id suggest he do that at 8 a.m. Australian eastern time!!!!

The phone queues for Centrelink get very busy so if ya call at that time you'll hopefully get to talk to someone in maybe as quickly as 5 minutes, but, expect to wait maybe 30 (it all depends on the traffic to that specific international enquiry number on the day).

I spoke with them about 4 months back at that 8 a.m. time. I got an operator within about 7 minutes which is good speed for Centrelink.

**** THIS NUMBER IS FREE - THE NUMBER GIVEN WITH A
3 IN FRONT OF IT IS NOT FREE - YOU WILL BE CHARGED INTERNATIONAL CALL RATES FOR THAT 3 PREFIX NUMBER!

• Make sure your phone is well charged, a good quality phone not a Cheap Charlie one as reception and clarity on this call are vital!
  • Use good ear buds so you hear and are heard clearly. 
  • Have a piece of paper to record case #, operators name, and any salient points or instructions offered by C'Link.
  • Take screen shots of all MyGov & Centrelink online account pages visited so you have a definitive record of everything that happens during that call. 

A mid week call is best not a Mondays or a Fridays!

You or someone else cannot speak on behalf of the man. Centrelink will not share anything with a third party unless authorised to do so by the Centrelink recipient (forms, notarisation must be exchanged first for this to be allowed).

• He'll need to quote his CRN.
  • May need to key in any Phone Pin he has (if he has one?)
  • Setting up 'Phone Voice ID' would be a good idea (if he hasn't done that). The C'link operator can help with this.
  • If he has a 'MyGov account' then log-in prior to the call to Centrelink would be good to do to (1) check his mailbox (2) be able to move to, and through his Centrelink account webpages if directed by the Centrelink operator.

Your pal has been receiving the pension as an overseas residing Australian for many years (or so I gather from your sharing of his circumstances) so there is no issue or requirement for him to periodically reside in Australia (i.e. hold an Australian address as a resident at that address).

This idea, feature of (returning/residing for a significant portion of the calendar year to Australia) ONLY APPLIES to Australians in the first 2 years of receiving their pension.

After that 2 years expires an Aussie can leave Australia permanently and still receive their full pension (excluding the Medicare portion) until death OR if their income exceeds the allowed amount, whichever comes first, at which time, their pension would be adjusted downwards accordingly. 

Good information. However let me share, I try to call (the TOLL FREE number) just after 9:00 am Hobart time, but of course you need to be up and ready quite early because of the time difference.

Every time I've used the TOLL FREE number an officer has answered my call within perhaps 10 - 20 seconds. Never had to wait or call back.

the TOLL FREE from Thailand (and there's seperate TOLL free number for calls from many countries)

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good information. However let me share, I try to call (the TOLL FREE number) just after 9:00 am Hobart time, but of course you need to be up and ready quite early because of the time difference.

Every time I've used the TOLL FREE number an officer has answered my call within perhaps 10 - 20 seconds. Never had to wait or call back.

the TOLL FREE from Thailand (and there's seperate TOLL free number for calls from many countries)

Thanks, so can you confirm the "toll-free" number that you used from Thailand, as there still seems to be some confusion..

15 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Thanks, so can you confirm the "toll-free" number that you used from Thailand, as there still seems to be some confusion..

I've used it many times, it's in my contacts. Used it successfully about 10 days ago.

7 hours ago, ozfarang said:

So it does work, for me

Just now I went back to the Services Australia website (Centrelink is part of Services Auatralia), here's a cut and paste from that site: 

"If you are in one of the following countries, you can use our free call numbers listed. The numbers may not be free from mobile or public phones.

Thailand
  • Thanks 1

I'm British, and not yet of state pension age, so I need some help for an Australian pal. 

He's 81, been retired here in Thailand for about 20 years.  Recently his State Pension has stopped being paid into his Aussie bank account... 

I know that the UK SP requires that you inform them you are still alive every so often, and I assume the Oz SP has a similar requirement, but he's not received anything from them (or course, we all know how reliaable the Thai postal service can be, so perhaps it went missing..).

He's not in the best of health, and is understandably quite concerned, so I'm "reaching out" to anyone that might be able to help. 

I did hear recently that Oz pensioners must now return to live in Oz for a few years(?) before they are entitled to start receiving their SP, but I wouldn't have thought this requirement would be applied to those already in receipt of their pension.... IDK? 

Thanks in anticipation..

Re this paragraph;

"I did hear recently that Oz pensioners must now return to live in Oz for a few years(?) before they are entitled to start receiving their SP, but I wouldn't have thought this requirement would be applied to those already in receipt of their pension.... IDK? 

First point: as others have mentioned I suspect you're meaning the Old Age Pension OAP which is administered by Centrelink on a national level, it's not a state pension.

More:  If the person has been outside of Australia for a long period that person 'status' is Citizen, Non-resident, rather than Citizen Resident.

In this case (if there's no current OAP payments that person must:

- Be physically in Australia on the date of applying for the OAP (im in a wheelchair and have severe breathing issues from my Vietnam war service, I asked Centrelink if it was possible to apply for an exemption to  'must: - Be physically in Australia on the date of applying for the OAP...'. The answer was 'there's no exemption clauses, must be in Australia.

If the person does return to Australia he/she can apply for the OAP on the day of arriving in Australia or anytime after that date. (There's 2 form needed to submit: The OAP Application form and the OAP Assets and Income declaration form, both can be dowloaded from the Centrelink website.) The first visit to Centrelink is to register yourself with C'link and get a personal Centrelink Reference no. (CRN) and at the same time prove your identity. Getting a CRN / proving your identity is a simple process can be done in 10 minutes. After gaining a CRN that person can (on the same visit) then lodge their application for the OAP, if they have all the forms prepared/completed and signed. 

My OAP application was approved in under 3 weeks (and this included about 4 days delay because the C'link system would not accept my birth certificate reference no. C'link staff investigated this quickly and discoverd a mistake had been made when old birth certificate records had been computerized decades earlier. It was quickly corrected and then my birth certificate accepted which completed my proof of identity).

As above my OAP was approved under 3 weeks and payments started immediately including a backpayment to the date I applied. 

In this circumstance the person must remain in Australia* for 2 years then that person is entitled to 'portability', meaning that the person can live anywhere in the world forever and Centrelink will send the fortnightly payments to any bank abroad.  (*For the '2 years' the person can do trips abroad for several weeks and OAP payments continue. C'link knows instantly that you have departed/returned to Australia because C'link has a live connection to passport records.) 

When the 2 years has been completed the OAP recipient can request that payments now be transferred to a bank abroad.  At the same time that person is transferred to a 4 weekly pay cycle. 

The pensioner needs to download a C'link banking document, get it signed/stamped at their bank branch abroad and e.mail it to the Services Australia e.mail address.

The bank account can be a personal savings account or it can be a joint savings account (mine is a joint savings account, me and my adult Thai son at K Bank).

Thanks for those clarifications scorecard, and my apologies for misnaming the OAP as the SP in my original request.

So it seems the toll-free number is not free from mobiles.  I'll warn his g/f to have plenty of credit on her phone... as a lengthy delay could prove expensive..

My pal has been getting his "OAP" for the few years I've known him, so he should already be in their system, although whether he knows his CRN is debateable.

Edited by steve73

For the '2 years' the person can do trips abroad for several weeks and OAP payments continue. C'link knows instantly that you have departed/returned to Australia because C'link has a live connection to passport records.

@scorecard, did you travel out of Australia in the 2 years you were qualifying for portability?

When I went back to Australia to apply for the OAP and I left the country during my 2 year qualifying period the payments ceased immediately and recommenced on my return without any input from me

Proof of life certificate must be provided on attaining the age of 80years and henceforth every 2 years.

If the gent did not receive notification for whatever reason then he would not have submitted a P.O.L certificate, this leads to cancellation of pension until he resolves the matter.

The form can be downloaded from Centrecare site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

For the '2 years' the person can do trips abroad for several weeks and OAP payments continue. C'link knows instantly that you have departed/returned to Australia because C'link has a live connection to passport records.

@scorecard, did you travel out of Australia in the 2 years you were qualifying for portability?

When I went back to Australia to apply for the OAP and I left the country during my 2 year qualifying period the payments ceased immediately and recommenced on my return without any input from me

1.     I didn't leave Oz for 2 full years, It was the height of the Covid- 19 situation, for quite a while very very limited flights available, plus the need for a not easy to get 'permision to enter Thailand approval'. So I stayed put in Oz.

By the time my 2 years was up travel was easier but I needed a 'Thailand Pass' approval (not difficult), plus a negative Covid- 19 test no older than 48 hrs to board the aircraft, and overall more flights were available.

So I travelled Sydney to Bangkok about 3 weeks after my 2 years back in Oz was up. All achieved with no hassles whatever.

2.    During the 2 years in Oz I was very homesick for my Thai family in Chiang Mai. I called C'link several times to check the rules about going abroad during the 2 years. Every time I discussed this with a C'link officer I got the same clear answer:

-   Yes you can go abroad during the 2 years. And it can be several times/trips.

-   The full specifics of how long you can be out of Oz are not revealed publically , however there's many cases of people being out for several months with 'no penalty':

'no penalty' meaning:

...-.  No financial penalty (meaning OAP payments are not stopped or reduced).

...-.  The building of the '2 years back in Australia time' is NOT interupted or suspended by the trips abroad.

However twice a C'link officer said '.... however I suggest that you DON'T be out of Oz for a full 12 months in one block of time. Fair point.

Over many years there's been many different posters who have posted exactly the same details (above) in these threads. 

If you feel you have been mistreated I suggest you call C'link on the toll free number and discuss the matter. It's my understanding that if they have made any mistake it will be corrected quickly and you will be compensated where appropriate.

The old days of C'link staff supposedly abusing pensioners and not lisening etc., seems to have totally gone (I've never experienced it).

Don't be frightened to call them, the telephone staff (and the staff at C'link offices) are polite, good listeners, knowledgeable, supportive, encouraging and very thorough.  My one trip to the c'link office on the Northern Beaches was totally pleasant.

I'm in a wheel chair and I have some breathing problems (disabailities from war service in Vietnam) and obviously elderly. A polite staff member at the C'link door wheeled me over to the reception desk. Instantly the lady behind the desk came out with a stool and she sat beside me to check what I wanted. 

About 5 minutes later one of the lady officers (I guess early 30's) came to me in the waiting area. First question (whispered) 'do you need to use the rest room?' I responded, no thanks.

She wheeled me to her desk and instantly rearranged things on her desk so she could push her chair to the side and make room for me to sit alongside her at her desk. Totally good listener, very focused, totally pleasant experience. 

When all done, she asked 'how will you get home?' Then she quickly said 'You have entitlement to the DVA taxi service, I can call them from here if you want?' She called The DVA transport service then wheeled me to the waiting area (less than 1 minute). 

About 10 - 12 minute later same lady came quickly and said 'your DVA taxi is approaching, I'll take you out to the taxi'. She also mentioned she was already with the next client but she had told the next client the discussion might be interupted for a few minutes while she took care of me.

She carefully helped me get into the car then said 'are you comfortable', and she had taken a small new bottle of water from their office stock, she opend the bottle then put the cap back on. Taxi driver had taken care of my wheelchair.

Great service all round.

Hope that helps.

Edited by scorecard

I'm not complaining @scorecardabout Centrelink and no payment when I left the country during my 2 year period to gain portability. When I advised Centrelink on the first occasion I was leaving for overseas (4 months after receiving the OAP) I was advised by letter of the caseation of payments whilst outside the country during the 2 year period to gain portability and advised the finish date of the 2 year period would not be extended by the time I was out of country. 

Centrelink have treated me very well since receiving the full pension. I have no complaints whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update..  Phoned "centrelink" free number didn't work, so god knows how much the call cost (it wasn't my phone).

Called at 8am Thai time and was answered immediately. C/L still had his old Oz address on file, which was where the forms had been sent.  I tried to tell them the current Thai address, but they couldn't find it on their system, so asked me to e-m them with new address.. they would then resend a form, and we'd need to fill in and return.

I expalined that mail rarely arrives here, and asked if I could use the "spanish" pdf form that I'd found online.. after some long delay he confirmed I could use that: download, print, fill it in, then scan and return it to them by e-m...  Result..!!  And his pension has been restarted for another month to get it sorted. 

Now I'm struggling to find someone "official" to verify that he's actually alive.  Been quoted an astronomical sum by a lawyer..!! So looking at alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 1:17 PM, steve73 said:

Progress update..  Phoned "centrelink" free number didn't work, so god knows how much the call cost (it wasn't my phone).

Called at 8am Thai time and was answered immediately. C/L still had his old Oz address on file, which was where the forms had been sent.  I tried to tell them the current Thai address, but they couldn't find it on their system, so asked me to e-m them with new address.. they would then resend a form, and we'd need to fill in and return.

I expalined that mail rarely arrives here, and asked if I could use the "spanish" pdf form that I'd found online.. after some long delay he confirmed I could use that: download, print, fill it in, then scan and return it to them by e-m...  Result..!!  And his pension has been restarted for another month to get it sorted. 

Now I'm struggling to find someone "official" to verify that he's actually alive.  Been quoted an astronomical sum by a lawyer..!! So looking at alternatives.

Australian teachers working in Thailand with 3 or 5 years (forget which one) experience who are teaching now can attest these documents. 

• Like 1