Murdered Couple Identified As Nigerian Man, Vietnamese Woman

webfact

image.jpeg

Mugshots of the murdered couple overlaid on a picture of the spot in Korat forest where they were buried. Photo: Sanook.com

TNR Staff

IN A major progress of a murder case where a couple was found buried naked at a community forest in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) province last week police yesterday (August 4) said they have identified them as a Nigerian man and a Vietnamese woman, Sanook.com said.

Deputy National Police Chief Pol. Gen. Suchart Teerasawat together with Pol. Lt. Gen. Sompong Chingduang, the head of the Immigration Bureau, flew by helicopter to Korat to follow up on this case and held a meeting with key police units handling the investigation.

After an hour of talks Pol. Gen. Suchart told the team to track down the manufacturer of the silicon found in the woman’s body. 

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/08/04/murdered-couple-identified-as-nigerian-man-vietnamese-woman/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-08-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Speculating about unsolved crimes is part of human nature. If you're playing the "it's disrespectful to the victims" card, I view showing interest in what happened as a form of respect for the victims. What I find curious is that as soon as the male victim was identified as a Nigerian, interest in this story seems to have fallen off a cliff.

...he may have been born in Ethiopia and move to Nigeria; would that make it more acceptable...It's a human life we're talking about here. I can assure you race, colour and creed do not ever affect any homicide investigation, in fact makes it more intriguing.  RIP.

Edited by tandor
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

What I find curious is that as soon as the male victim was identified as a Nigerian, interest in this story seems to have fallen off a cliff

Yes, same as the Nigerians in jail, not many people care maybe thinking they deserve to be there. 

Might also be a racial thing, not many black expats in Thailand. 

Interesting as they said at the start he was foreign, which was a racial remark. But to be fair, I've never met, or known of a black person becoming naturalized, I wonder.... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

...he may have been born in Ethiopia and move to Nigeria; would that make it more acceptable...It's a human life we're talking about here. I can assure you race, colour and creed do not ever affect any homicide investigation, in fact makes it more intriguing.  RIP.

I'm impressed by the way RTP have handled this case so far. They have definitely treated it as a high priority, and if anything, the fact that the victims were foreigners have provided an added element of urgency to their handling. I think the level of criminal sophistication of the killing and burying of the bodies has also probably alarmed the police.

I'm not sure what you meant by your last sentence, but I can assure you that in some countries race, creed or color do negatively affect police investigations. There are countless examples of victims going missing or being murdered where communities of color have felt inadequate resources were devoted to solving the crime. Fortunately, I have seen little evidence of this pattern in Thailand.

In regards to your earlier post about letting the police do their job, I fail to see how anything I've written has impeded their work. I have been consistently supportive of their efforts and appreciative of the progress they are making.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alyx said:

Why speculate, I wonder

It´s in human nature to do such trivial and simple things for self-gratification. Same like being excited before a lottery drawing.

Edited by Gottfrid

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s in human nature to do such trivial and simple things for self-gratification. Same like being excited before a lottery drawing.

Since when is a double homicide of foreigners in Thailand a "trivial" and "simple" thing, especially when the motive is a total mystery and a high degree of criminal sophistication has been manifested? There's an element of "could this happen to me", and another reason there's interest is because when stuff like this happens and it hits the news, sometimes people start getting "big ideas" if you know what I mean. Yeah, I have a desire to see the perpetrators caught, and I'm putting my thinking cap on in the meantime while the crime's still under investigation. So what? I don't get why that seems to bother some people so much.

52 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm never one to speculate, but I can't help but wonder if someone became upset when they discovered that he wasn't really a rich Prince that needed help moving vast sums of money following an inheritance...

Maybe he was the Prince and he was killed by somebody trying to get at his vast fortune?

BTW, what's your email address?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

wow great police work there. They found out where the couple is FROM.. Not sure how this advances their knowledge about who killed them. But hey. Thai cops are more concerned about where the people came from than catching the criminal. Now they know they are foreigners, they can go grab a beer. 

The identification of the victims has also allowed the police to obtain real life photos of them. This will help with getting people to come forward who may not know them personally but who have seen them, or interacted with them.

Edited by Gecko123