Why is it so hard to find any clothes that actually fit in Thailand?

bob smith

The size of the demographic here was traditionally smaller. Though that is changing. On top of that, you have to contend with different manufacturers individual ideas of sizing. Again, that is also changing and becoming more uniform.

Not just here. Even in Europe clothes seem to be made for tall skinny guys. I am 5'8", slim  build and I cannot buy a shirt to fit me. All the sleeves come down to my knuckles.

Edited by phetphet

We have a local tailor who works out of his front room, Madam gets material and he makes work shirts and slacks. Since my wife controls the colours I have a full set of the "correct" colour for each workday ???? 

My lady also gets shorts from a market stall somewhere brand "Super Jumbo" they're actually too big for me, socks and tightie-whities are stretchy so no real issue.

My main problem is shoes, as a UK size 12 dress shoes are unobtainium, at least at prices I'm prepared to pay. I order site boots from the UK (company pays).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have a local tailor who works out of his front room, Madam gets material and he makes work shirts and slacks. Since my wife controls the colours I have a full set of the "correct" colour for each workday ???? 

My lady also gets shorts from a market stall somewhere brand "Super Jumbo" they're actually too big for me, socks and tightie-whities are stretchy so no real issue.

My main problem is shoes, as a UK size 12 dress shoes are unobtainium, at least at prices I'm prepared to pay. I order site boots from the UK (company pays).

Aaaaah, the ol' Tuff boots eh, I was sent to school in those.....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In addition to the Asian size versus US size issue, I think the rag trade in general skews to a younger demographic, say the age group of 16 to 34 or so. These are the people who buy new clothing based upon fashion trends that change each season or each year and who won't wear a piece of clothing once it is perceived as last year's fashion. Once you're older and have other priorities (and a dad bod), new, trendy clothes aren't important and the mass-market clothing industry knows that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Dumbest question I've seen posted for a while..........It's common sense isn't it?! .........Thai men have a frame which is usually twice as small as a westerners.......

It unfortunately is the sizing that makes it hard....Asian Size 2XL is equivalent to a US size L

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, orchis said:

H&M is Swedish.

On top of that H&M does not carry the larger sizes.  I have been lucky with shopping at American Eagle Outfitters here in Thailand, as well as Levis, and Super Sports.  The actual Adidas shop in the malls, not a reseller but the actual Adidas shop has 2XL, and XL shirts which are oversized and I fit into the XL size. which is nice, but then again they are the dressy T-shirts.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

In Bangkok (Maboonkrong) sizes up to 5XL are available. And then the tailors here are so extremely cheap that it makes sense to order everything custom made. Allows you to order some extra pockets where you want them to be with extra zip etc. Very convenient.

Local tailors are as well cheaper than the ones in the streets of tourist quarters. They hide a bit in the back but asking helps. My wife has her clothes tailored there - really at a bargain price.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm a 1XL in the US, 2XL in Pattaya and a 4XL on Lazada. No real standards.

Ever heard of trying before buying ? ???? Or is it that soon there are no more real shops around but only "Online-Shops" ? ????

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another Bob topic.

I am still waiting for an update of the other topic. What happened with the love of your life?

She must have stolen his clothes and left him tied up in the basement at his mothers house.  Still trying to figure out how a VR vision can become more than just a figment of ones imagination and seem so real....

• Like 1