Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ah, not wishing to coin a phrase but - Maybe You Think too Mutt!

Like many things, if you keep finding better solutions you will never actually buy anything ???? 

Its a good point, but in  a way i use to have good experience taking it slow at times too. Now i have looked into Sorotec who is the company who both sell and make inverters like the Easun, but with possibility for parts and service who is ++ 

GROWATT SPF-3500 and 5000-ES PV and Grid supply power to loads together if PV power is insufficient. its a hybrid right?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

5 hours ago, Pink7 said:

GROWATT SPF-3500 and 5000-ES PV and Grid supply power to loads together if PV power is insufficient. its a hybrid right?

It's an off-grid hybrid (it can't export to the grid).

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

It's an off-grid hybrid (it can't export to the grid).

What i try to ask if it was a hybrid and if it can blend pw power with grid power for home load? I saw on Lazada. I had the impression that hybrid inverters just switched between power sources, but great if the can blend. 

Pink

4 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

What i try to ask if it was a hybrid and if it can blend pw power with grid power for home load? I saw on Lazada. I had the impression that hybrid inverters just switched between power sources, but great if the can blend. 

My understanding is that the Growatt CAN "blend" as you say, up to the maximum rating of the inverter.

The whole area of "hybrid" inverters is incredibly muddy and careful reading of specs and manuals is required. Some units which are described as "hybrid" do indeed simply switch to bypass, rather than running in a grid-supplemented mode.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that the Growatt CAN "blend" as you say, up to the maximum rating of the inverter.

The whole area of "hybrid" inverters is incredibly muddy and careful reading of specs and manuals is required. Some units which are described as "hybrid" do indeed simply switch to bypass, rather than running in a grid-supplemented mode.

I have sent a mail on the Sorotec REVO III 8000 KW Series (same as MPP max 8000k) who have same  as you mention: PV and utility power take the load at same time(can setting)

Pink

Edited by Pink7
LINK WAS WRONG, UPDATED

2 hours ago, Pink7 said:

At 7.30 in the video they  mention feed the utility.. possible?

Is there a downloadable manual, that will could might throw some light on exactly what this inverter can and cannot actually do.

The data page certainly indicates bi-directional grid connection. But ...

image.png.a12d980a63490b16fb0cb9b26dbb7282.png

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is there a downloadable manual, that will could might throw some light on exactly what this inverter can and cannot actually do.

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Here it is

Pink

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

The data page certainly indicates bi-directional grid connection. But ...

image.png.a12d980a63490b16fb0cb9b26dbb7282.png

Nice machine.

Try translating this. It may be more reveling

https://www.nichethai.com/article/17/มาแล้ว-on-off-grid-hybrid-ตัวธงของ-sorotec-revo-ii-5-5kw-พร้อมกันย้อนในตัว

Crossy, i know you mention the GROWATT SPF-5000-ES before, do you use GROWATT and whats the experience? price from china is $630, so if i got 3 of them what i could be the final cost to my door you think?

Pink

3 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Crossy, i know you mention the GROWATT SPF-5000-ES before, do you use GROWATT and whats the experience? price from china is $630, so if i got 3 of them what i could be the final cost to my door you think?

Pink

No I'm using Sofar units, @Bandersnatchis a Growatt man, he should be able to answer any queries.

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

It seems that the ac input can be used for battery charging. I wonder if export is disabled when battery charging :whistling: 

http://www.sorotecups.com/product-detail/on-grid-off-grid-hybrid-inverter/

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No I'm using Sofar units, @Bandersnatchis a Growatt man, he should be able to answer any queries.

@Pink7 I used a Thai importer to bring 4 nRuit LFP 9kWh batteries and 3 Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverters to Surin. I paid ฿36,000 each for the Growatts and ฿68,000 each for nRuits

The importer is a solar EV guy with a YouTube channel 

https://www.facebook.com/CaptDIY/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

What is the part of the hybrid inverter who most affected if its run near the limit? the charger? 

Pink

I normally set my inverters to SBU priority to power the house/EV (load) first with Solar, then Battery and finally Utility (the grid)  

I have set my batteries to only charge from Solar. You don't want to wake up in the morning and find that your batteries are at 100% state of charge because they have been charging from the grid all night and then all the next day's solar production is wasted.

So at night I power the household load from batteries and in the morning gradually solar will ramp up until it can fully cover the load then it will start to charge the batteries. As a result charging is slow and gradual and not a big drain on the inverters.

Depending on your household electrical load normally load will be closest to the limit of the inverter. In my case my house is well insulated and my aircons are only 8,500 BTU, I have solar thermal and no electric cooking. However I do have an EV which draws a lot of power. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Revo 2 is B9000 more than the Powland i posted before... 17k vs 26k (25k plus 1200 for parallel). Wife translated Muhendis review on Revo2. Seemed to be quite strong both in physical construction and to serve power. If price difference is most for color touch screen im fine without that. I would prefer connection to my pc.

Importing is not what it used to be..$200 in delivery for 3x Growatt 5000.

sol8.png

easun.jpg

Edited by Pink7

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

IF you plan on going for an off-brand inverter (which will likely be just fine) and IF you may want to expand in future then I would get two inverters now, then they are guaranteed to work together.

For Growatt I would be less worried but even they will change the design sometimes likely with no guarantee of backwards compatibility.

EDIT Yes, I know I sound like a broken record, but Thai Contractors and Asean Now members can be like computers. You have to punch information into both of them (very, very, very old joke).

I agree with @Crossy. Maybe somebody on the forum has used Powland and can talk to the support available.

Growatt have Thai support which I have accessed. The guy is called Banana (กล้วย) and is able to speak reasonable English - I can pass on his Line and email to anybody who needs it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

IF you plan on going for an off-brand inverter (which will likely be just fine) and IF you may want to expand in future then I would get two inverters now, then they are guaranteed to work together.

For Growatt I would be less worried but even they will change the design sometimes likely with no guarantee of backwards compatibility.

EDIT Yes, I know I sound like a broken record, but Thai Contractors and Asean Now members can be like computers. You have to punch information into both of them (very, very, very old joke).

Im happy for all input Crossy. Whats the weak or limited part generally for all in one inverters? What operation / part of unit is good to have extra not used capacity?

Pink

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

Im happy for all input Crossy. Whats the weak or limited part generally for all in one inverters? What operation / part of unit is good to have extra not used capacity?

Difficult.

I would say the actual DC=>AC "inverter" itself, is going to be the most highly stressed area, certainly any mains charger should see little use, with the MPPT controller being sort of in the middle.

The only way to be reasonably sure would be to follow the online user groups and see what failures other users are seeing. but with an off-brand unit that may not actually be much of a user base.

SPF 5000 ES looks like a good solution but its max pv voltage of 450v and i have 2 x 455v so then if SPF 5000 ES i need 3 units not 2 as the others who is 500v limit.

Im not set on the Sorotec made units yet.. even Mppsolar is not out yet. Do some ad mppt controllers to improve charge capacity of a all in one setup?

Pink

On 8/16/2022 at 12:46 PM, Crossy said:

No I'm using Sofar units, 

Crossy, what sofar units you use? i thought they Sofar was ongrid so how you charge and get use of your battery power?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

I have plan to use a  Dual Power Transfer Switch between my grid line to inverter and direct to house breakers so if any issues with inverter I can easy change grid to go off or direct to house breakers. One think have bother my main: If grid is switch to house breakers and if not ac out on inverter is disconnected first from house breakers then will the inverter be back feed with grid power? I guess that's not wanted. I do have plan for breaker on ac out to.. 

Pink

46 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I have plan to use a  Dual Power Transfer Switch between my grid line to inverter and direct to house breakers so if any issues with inverter I can easy change grid to go off or direct to house breakers. One thing have bother my main: If grid is switch to house breakers and if not ac out on inverter is disconnected first from house breakers then will the inverter be back feed with grid power? I guess that's not wanted. I do have plan for breaker on ac out to.. 

Pink

Maybe i should use this one if back feeding is a issue: If i use 2 in for grid and 1 in for ac out (inverter) then ac out power cut together with grid cut from inverter.

Pink

sola10.jpg