Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

Just made my first MC4 solar cable.. watched YouTube instruction when making it and it come out quite ok. I need to use 2 sets of MC4 tools because LINK * the company) use the black tool and the Panels the orange tool. Its different in the way the pins attach the mc4.

Pink

324436057_1684825871920025_8336866366327385142_n.jpg

323580306_855558582360225_4105325015682387718_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

Just made my first MC4 solar cable.. watched YouTube instruction when making it and it come out quite ok. I need to use 2 sets of MC4 tools because LINK * the company) use the black tool and the Panels the orange tool. Its different in the way the pins attach the mc4.

Yeah, my panels are the same.

Easy to modify the connector so that the regular tool (or long nose pliers) have access should you need to get them apart.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Pink

@Pink... I appreciate that your photos show your initial attempt at making an MC4 connection, but a serious word of warning.  Always ensure that the colour of the input and output wires are the same.

In your photo below you show a Red wire connecting to a Black wire.  If that was for real, considering the potential power of your system, you are most likely going to encounter some very expensive 'magic smoke'.

324436057_1684825871920025_8336866366327385142_n.thumb.jpg.c63cfd7fd30699221940601414ba985c.jpg.40342ba7eb925b2168303de3748216e8.jpg

39 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

@Pink... I appreciate that your photos show your initial attempt at making an MC4 connection, but a serious word of warning.  Always ensure that the colour of the input and output wires are the same.

In your photo below you show a Red wire connecting to a Black wire.  If that was for real, considering the potential power of your system, you are most likely going to encounter some very expensive 'magic smoke'.

324436057_1684825871920025_8336866366327385142_n.thumb.jpg.c63cfd7fd30699221940601414ba985c.jpg.40342ba7eb925b2168303de3748216e8.jpg

On my plan for the panels placement and connection i have 4 x 7 panels, So lets say panel 4 have 3 panels connected to its future minus then those cables will get black when any extension needed. The  panels connected from future plus on panel 4 get red wire when extension needed. so then i end up with correct colors /polarity before parallel and extend them to inverter. 

Pink

Edited by Pink7
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

In your photo below you show a Red wire connecting to a Black wire. 

All our panels have two black wires coming from them.

Absolutely necessary to verify your polarity before hooking to the electronics. Many inverters will sense incorrect solar input and warn you; many others will inform you with a little puff of Magic Smoke and remind you when you buy a new one ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

All our panels have two black wires coming from them.

Absolutely necessary to verify your polarity before hooking to the electronics. Many inverters will sense incorrect solar input and warn you; many others will inform you with a little puff of Magic Smoke and remind you when you buy a new one ???? 

Same here i have 2 black wires too, the + connectors have a red rubber ring or something.. In my setup i have define a center panel ( panel 4 of the 7 Who i define as a + side and a - side for the added panels.

Pink

2 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Same here i have 2 black wires too, the + connectors have a red rubber ring or something.. In my setup i have define a center panel ( panel 4 of the 7 Who i define as a + side and a - side for the added panels.

the panels will be correct polarity (famous last words), so the only time you need to be certain is when you run your cables to the controller/inverter.

Important. Your cables will have MC4s of opposite sex on each end to maintain correct polarity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have more or less decided for a change in my setup: Since most issues i see regarding Growatt and also other all in one system seems to be related to grid power issues, i will try run my system with grid power only on the ATS. I use 20 units a day, solar capacity 9.5 KW, 26kw battery capacity. So maybe I'm able to run most of the time without grid at all?

Pink

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update: 

My brother in law is busy with soon temple building project so im waiting for him to get finished with that so he can help me with my steel work and get panels up.

My battery order got some delay with Chinese new year and now waiting for stock from JK bms, so things take time.  

When it come to my indoor setup Im currently tempted to not install my inverters to incoming grid, only to ATS. The big question is at what grade will i NOT need grid power?? I use 20-22kw/day ( most in day time) battery capacity is near 30KW. If my ATS need to switch a time or 2 in a month i can live with that.. Hopefully without off my pc. I think my pc power have a  some power buffer for a sec or two but not sure.

Attached photo. testing some setup with battery breakers in the 2 main boxes ( removed breakers for grid inn) Mainly plan was a smaller box in the middle for battery breakers.. The 35mm2 cables is quite still and not easy to twist and route as i first expected, so maybe battery breakers will be upside down in main boxes just under the battery input on the inverters. Batteries will be just under the breaker boxes.

Pink

setup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check the QR codes with the LiFePOQR app (in the Google PlayStore). Or PM me a decent photo of a couple and I'll check.

Who did you buy from?

Any duty / VAT to pay?

I'm interested in this info. too.

Any chance to check if theses are already balanced?

T'would also be nice to know how similar the cells are to each other capacity wise.

Not sure but I think the QR codes are under the white sticker on the top.

I think I saw someone taking the label apart on You Tube to access it.

Do you get extras like interconnection bus bars with them?

Edited by Muhendis

39 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I'm interested in this info. too.

Any chance to check if theses are already balanced?

T'would also be nice to know how similar the cells are to each other capacity wise.

Not sure but I think the QR codes are under the white sticker on the top.

I think I saw someone taking the label apart on You Tube to access it.

Do you get extras like interconnection bus bars with them?

My plan is to just put them up with the active balancer JK BMS. I expect they come with very identical voltage, but i will test that more later. I dont have any way to check if they already balanced.

Pink

20 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Ha Ha Ha.

For me he's a crotchety old b'gr who's not too sure what he is doing.

I easier to trust in a company who already have their name out there and who will have some efford to protect their reputation.

Pink

Edited by Pink7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

I easier to trust in a company who already have their name out there and who will have some efford to protect their reputation.

Pink

I agree.

It's just that the old guy comes across as unprofessional and mistake ridden in his presentation.

In one vid. he tried to convince the viewer that active balancing should not be left connected full time.

But he has helped by letting us have the contact of a probably reputable company.

Having said that I will not bother to watch him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

Here is a short update: I tested some batteries, all had same voltage as printed on the batteries: 3.28V. In photo is also the nuts and busbars who come with the batteries

Pink

batnnut.jpg

That's very promising.

I'll recommend you for commission when I place my order.

Just one small detail........Price of cells and delivery costs?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pink7 said:

32  x QSO LF380K arrived this morning. Just started unpacking. Until now all look very good condition. Delivery was just over a week from China.

Pink

bat280.jpg

32  x QSO LF380K

I assume that the "380" part was just a typo, and that what you ordered (and got) was LF280K batteries?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I assume that the "380" part was just a typo, and that what you ordered (and got) was LF280K batteries?

I did notice that, thanks, yes its typo. I have requested it to be edited if possible.

Pink

Edited by Pink7