Growatt SPF5000ES Offgrid 9kw DIY Solar Project

We was testing the voltage after adding each of the 7 panels. My setup is 2x (7x2 in parallel), got around 280v on each test. All went smooth on the first side of the roof, then on the other side i guess the heat and the stress affected me a moment, i sent up the parallel connectors connected on wrong cable and the wrong way. After a short time out i found my problem and corrected it fast and easy. Next now is cabling of the solar power to the inverters and making building the battery.

Pink

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

My panels have a open circuit voltage rating 45.5 volt, Who should be 318.5v. Actual test was showing around 290v the day all was mounted. Is that normal?

Pink

Sounds about right.

The panels are rated at IIRC 20C. The output voltage decreases with increased temperature. A fact that has cost a number of charge controllers for those in the "cooler" climes when on a -10C day the output voltage rose enough to kill things dead.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

My panels have a open circuit voltage rating 45.5 volt, Who should be 318.5v. Actual test was showing around 290v the day all was mounted. Is that normal?

Pink

null_2012110639770_20210204095619.jpg

Simple answer is YES.  The open circuit voltage shown on the spec label (45.5V) on the back of your panel indicates the expected voltage under ideal laboratory conditions.  That is to say with a very specific light source shining directly above the photovoltaic cells at a controlled atmospheric temperature of 25c.

Because your panels are not mounted in a laboratory, they will loose some of their efficiency due to lack of direct sunshine and more importantly because the panels get very hot due to the heat radiated by the sun.  It is quite normal to loose up to 30% of the rated value given on the spec label.

Edited by 007 RED
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Some progress last days on cables and breaker boxes etc, but have to do some changes from my plans as the cables much less flexible than i expected. I was just making cables from breakers to batteries now when the tool to crimp the connectors just stop working, so i must check if i can replace the hydraulic. So it held up 10 connectors or so..

Pink

yqk-70.jpg

8 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Some progress last days on cables and breaker boxes etc, but have to do some changes from my plans as the cables much less flexible than i expected. I was just making cables from breakers to batteries now when the tool to crimp the connectors just stop working, so i must check if i can replace the hydraulic. So it held up 10 connectors or so..

Pink

yqk-70.jpg

I find a small hammer works better to crimp the copper.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I find a small hammer works better to crimp the copper.

Good idea. Plan one now is a DIY with some of the parts from the crimp tool and some steel and a hammer.

Pink

Edited by Pink7

43 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Good idea. Plan one now is a DIY with some of the parts from the crimp tool and some steel and a hammer.

It would be better to use your vice rather than a hammer, much more controllable and better for your fingers.

Crimper still under warranty??

I bought a purely mechanical hand-crimper years ago in India, it has 50cm handles and does the job just fine up to 35mm2.

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Crimper still under warranty??

I bought a purely mechanical hand-crimper years ago in India, it has 50cm handles and does the job just fine up to 35mm2.

Just checked.. No warranty.

Pink

• Sad 1

On 8/30/2023 at 10:10 PM, Pink7 said:

Pink

yqk-70.jpg

And then the tool decide to be working again..After try taking it apart and back again.

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon solar was connected to my 2 x Growatt inverters. I checked the dc power (DC 250 each) and powered it on. Im not sure if Growatt SPF500ES really can do battery-less because i connected a wire to Ac out breaker on the one inverter and there was no AC Power. Tomorrow i will try the other one when have sun again. When i turn the switch to power it up first time it did not start because i forgot to open DC breaker with solar power. Its not to much work left now then it should hopefully be ready.

Pink

Edited by Pink7
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Pink7 said:

This afternoon solar was connected to my 2 x Growatt inverters. I checked the dc power (DC 250 each) and powered it on. Im not sure if Growatt SPF500ES really can do battery-less because i connected a wire to Ac out breaker on the one inverter and there was no AC Power. Tomorrow i will try the other one when have sun again. When i turn the switch to power it up first time it did not start because i forgot to open DC breaker with solar power. Its not to much work left now then it should hopefully be ready.

Pink

So today i have done more testing and with real sun conditions ( yesterday testing was just as sun was going down) Both inverter DC270+ in and AC 230 out with only solar connected ( no battery yet and no AC in) So all good !!!

Pink

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, Pink7 said:

Whole order was  USD 4051 for 32 batteries and 2 x bms ($206) included delivery ($485) and custom etc.

Pink

I like to talk kWhs in Thai Baht. 

Please correct my maths if I get this wrong

32 batteries @ 0.28kWh = 8.96kWh for 146,924.49  Thai Baht

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=4051&From=USD&To=THB

16,397.82 Baht/kWh

I was expecting more of a saving for going DIY

54 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I like to talk kWhs in Thai Baht. 

Please correct my maths if I get this wrong

32 batteries @ 0.28kWh = 8.96kWh for 146,924.49  Thai Baht

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=4051&From=USD&To=THB

16,397.82 Baht/kWh

I was expecting more of a saving for going DIY

Aren't the cells 280Ah?

So, 280 * 3.2V = 896Wh per cell.

* 32 = 28kWh ish.

146,924/28 = 5,300 Baht / kWh.

• Thanks 1

Im setting up a routine for startup and closing down the whole setup. If any have some corrections or improvements pls let me know:

START UP

1 Check BMS Its Turned ON - Precharge 10 sec - Open Battery Breakers

2 Open breakers For Solar

3 Open Inverter ONE - Open Inverter TWO

CLOSE DOWN

1 Close Inverter TWO - Close Inverter ONE

2 Close Breakers For Solar

3 Close Battery Breakers

Pink

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Looks OK, verify with the inverter manual.

Note that normal terminology is that a switch or breaker is Closed = On, Open = Off.

Yes i remember that from some earlier post..very confusing but very correct.

Pink

On 8/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, Pink7 said:

After some long research it was time to get this solar project started. Today i ordered 11x 330 Sunergy Poly at B2990. I could not resist this offer, best deal i see in long time, Waiting for delivery tomorrow. 

Pink

solar my.jpg

Lay panels out in sun and check the spec. Sellers starting to BS on spec sticker.