Phuket expects 150,000 more Indian tourists this year generating more than 7.5 billion baht after roadshow in India

webfact

Good luck with those Indian tourists. I do not like to generalize as I have worked with good Indian people in the US but Indians from India may be a different story. I remember sitting with my girlfriend at a breakfast buffet in Phuket when a party of 4 Indians refused to get up and did order the staff to serve them.

Interestingly, the ethnicities that are disliked by Thai girls the most are Arabs AND Indians. ... No wonder

Apparently some of the Indian tourists who frequent the soapy's are on a three day reward package from their employer. Good performance reward, air fares, three nights hotel and one paid for soapy. This according to a very good youtube presenter. This was from Pattaya but I dont see why Phuket wouldn't be getting a share.

These are the high class tourists the government are on about, smacks of desperation to me.

I think they might have realised that the numbers of white westerners will not be as high as they once thought, too many bills at home and air fares too high. I doubt if there will be many two weekers at christmas time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stoner said:

yes every western tourist is spending mountains of cash in thailand while every indian tourist is 3 to a drink right ? 

you may find that the tables are turning quite quick on those kind of old myths. 

Spot on!!

• Haha 1

Well.... that's all phuket needs, honestly I've not been since 2019 but wow the amount of Indian restaurants is staggering compared to a few years ago. When will thailand learn people from certain parts of Asia will not spend money in thai businesses? Chinese tours stay in a single hotel walk around and eat at the hotel. Indian families walk around and eat at Indian restaurants....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

So are loads and loads of "whites". Are the dorms and hostels in Khao San Road at $ 15 per night full of whites or Indians? Are the beer belly singlets and shorts wearing flip flops in Pattaya hopping around on a scooter and living in 28 sq m tiny apartments "white" or Indians?

Just one per apartment though ????

2 hours ago, Gwen1234 said:

Well.... that's all phuket needs, honestly I've not been since 2019 but wow the amount of Indian restaurants is staggering compared to a few years ago. When will thailand learn people from certain parts of Asia will not spend money in thai businesses? Chinese tours stay in a single hotel walk around and eat at the hotel. Indian families walk around and eat at Indian restaurants....

This is the dummy post of the year. What about the irish eating in irish pubs as do the poms in british pubs and oh my god italians eating italian ????

• Thanks 1

You do get SOME high-spending Indians now - probably more than before - but they're definitely a small minority. I met this lawyer recently who would buy bottles and was paying for several girls to drink with him every night - so they do exist. However in almost all other cases they travel in huge groups and buy very little. My friend who manages a club was complaining the other night that he sold 4 guys a table on the condition they buy a bottle - they told him they're only 4, but they ended up bringing more friends and totaled 15 for a table that's meant for 3-4 people max - all sharing the same one bottle (they did not buy more). At the end of the night he told them please don't come back. In another case he got a group of guys who wanted a table, and he told them they needed to order a bottle to get the table - so the geniuses went to the bar, ordered a bottle - of beer - and came back to claim their table!???? No- they did not get it.

Bottom line is they create a lot of problems and bring in little revenue for venues (and whoever's working in them...) - maybe better than nothing but definitely not the golden goose the government is trying to portray them as.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gwen1234 said:

Indian families walk around and eat at Indian restaurants....

You realize those "Indian" restaurants are actually located in Thailand, right? Even if they are owned by Indian expats - they still pay taxes and employ local people, not to mention spend their profits locally. I agree they're not big spenders and they're bad for some businesses (if they crowd the place without actually spending), but them eating at Indian restaurants is actually good for the economy. (plus some of the food is quite good lol)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

50,000 baht over 5 to 7 nights is peanuts. Extremely realistic figure. Count hotels, food, shopping, "night entertainment", and it's easy to well exceed that figure. 

Of course, I can't help you with your biases.

sorry but you are saying they will spend an average of 10 grand a night.. what part of Thailand d do you live in ..it certainly ain't Pattaya  

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 8/10/2022 at 5:38 AM, proton said:

Hate does not include humour and observation. Years ago one Hotel porter told me they did hate Indians as many brought along cookers and cooked food in the rooms stinking the place out and damaging the carpets!

and try sharing a lift with an indian wedding party.........

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

You're unlikely to find an Indian (as per nationality) in a tailor shop. The owners are usually Thai Sikhs born in Thailand, carrying Thai passports. The staff are ethnic Nepalese from Myanmar. Just saying. 

Does that not apply to those working in "Indian" restaurants ?    

On 8/10/2022 at 5:43 AM, Kerryd said:

LoL - they are expecting 150,000 Indian tourists between now and the end of the year, and think each will spend 50,000 baht ?

cheesy.gif.f83a2dcceef79f49ff64b39da813f7fe.gif.655f1053dd2be370610dc2045d1365f2.gifcheesy.gif.f83a2dcceef79f49ff64b39da813f7fe.gif.655f1053dd2be370610dc2045d1365f2.gifcheesy.gif.f83a2dcceef79f49ff64b39da813f7fe.gif.655f1053dd2be370610dc2045d1365f2.gif

Or do the Indians in Phuket spend 10x as much as the ones who go to Pattaya ?

They seem to think they are going to spend as much, or more, than the "2 week millionaires" that used to flock to Thailand in droves. Until the current gov't decided they didn't like "white" tourists.

Not sure how 5 guys to a room, sharing 1 beer a night and (maybe) one street walker, are going to spend that much. Maybe things are super expensive in Phuket compared to the rest of the country ?

And the same "Condom" ????

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You do get SOME high-spending Indians now - probably more than before - but they're definitely a small minority. I met this lawyer recently who would buy bottles and was paying for several girls to drink with him every night - so they do exist. However in almost all other cases they travel in huge groups and buy very little. My friend who manages a club was complaining the other night that he sold 4 guys a table on the condition they buy a bottle - they told him they're only 4, but they ended up bringing more friends and totaled 15 for a table that's meant for 3-4 people max - all sharing the same one bottle (they did not buy more). At the end of the night he told them please don't come back. In another case he got a group of guys who wanted a table, and he told them they needed to order a bottle to get the table - so the geniuses went to the bar, ordered a bottle - of beer - and came back to claim their table!???? No- they did not get it.

Bottom line is they create a lot of problems and bring in little revenue for venues (and whoever's working in them...) - maybe better than nothing but definitely not the golden goose the government is trying to portray them as.

Pal of mine has a bar in Pattaya, 5 Indians came in for a drink ordered a beer each, the Alpah male asked for a free beer as he brought his friends in, could not make it up.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Does that not apply to those working in "Indian" restaurants ?    

Yes, except for the cooks at times/often. A better or more expensive restaurant is more likely to get a chef from India, who really knows how the food should taste. It's more difficult to get a Myanmarese-Nepali to do a proper South Indian Masala Dosa or some Gujarati dish, as they've never had those themselves.   

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:03 PM, redwood1 said:

Sir the majority of Indians are the cheapest of cheap charlies...And yes there are big spending Indians.....But loads and loads are on extreme budgets..

True, but the same applies to a certain category of white farangs. You just need to visit some popular backpacking points on some popular islands and Khao San Rd! 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:21 PM, Gwen1234 said:

Chinese tourists depending on their budget can actually have all their meals from foods that they buy from the supermarket and eat inside their hotel room, no kidding! I have seen once a Big C supermarket invaded by a horde of hungry Chinese tourists! 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:14 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Where are you? We have nearly  a hundred here in Pattaya- There  are plenty in Bangkok too. Also there are Indian  shops where you can get all the ingredients to do  home cooking.

This is something that I would not attempt as Indian cuisine is very complex and full of secrets...